Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone scared?

I'm hoping to be banded in October. I'm very much looking forward to losing weight and becoming a smaller, healthier me. I'm scared though. Not scared of the lifestyle change or any of that, but of the surgery itself. I'm afraid of dying on the table. I'm in my 30's and healthy (just heavy) and my BMI is 40. I have 2 small children and my big fear is leaving them motherless. They're part of the reason that I'm doing this, so that I can be around longer for them and be a healthier, more active mom, but I still can't shake the fear of "what if". Anyone else worry this way?

Yes, everyone is scared of doing something that they haven't done before.

Were you scared the last time you drove your car? Your odds of being killed were just as great as this surgery. The difference is, you have driven a million times.

I know. I'm just trying to tell myself that things I do all the time like driving carry risks also. I guess b/c I have never really had surgery before, this feels so much more extreme or riskier.

I've had quite a few small elective surgeries and I never felt any fear. For some reason, I spent the night before my lapband surgery awake, afraid that I wouldnt see my kids again.

For me, it was something to do with having a hard time getting my head around the validity of having surgery to fix my weight problem. I couldnt quite assign it the same necessity or validity as having heel spur or wisdom teeth surgery - not sure why. I felt like I was doing sometihng irresponsible, taking a risk for an issue I should have been able to fix on my own.

"Was anyone scared?"

Not in the least...I was sooo very ready to finally be doing something about my weight.

I'm hoping to be banded in October. I'm very much looking forward to losing weight and becoming a smaller, healthier me. I'm scared though. Not scared of the lifestyle change or any of that, but of the surgery itself. I'm afraid of dying on the table. I'm in my 30's and healthy (just heavy) and my BMI is 40. I have 2 small children and my big fear is leaving them motherless. They're part of the reason that I'm doing this, so that I can be around longer for them and be a healthier, more active mom, but I still can't shake the fear of "what if". Anyone else worry this way?

I had a lot more fear of dying from obesity issues than I did from a simple surgery. Your risks are quite high to die of obesity related issues, it's quite minimal to die of surgical complications with banding.

I think to put it in perspective you might want to ask yourself if you are spending as much time fretting over obesity and losing your life? Your risks are much higher now just being overweight.

I was good until the morning of my surgery. Then I got really nervous. The reason I chose lapband is because it's done laproscopically and the rate of fatality on the table is extremely low. You'll be just fine!

Yes, I am a Hospice RN and was very worried I would die on the table OR they would open me up and say "oh, Cancer everywhere, sorry..." I am laughing while I type this because I know how far out there that worry was but I had it :tongue_smilie: I think worry is natural. I did pray to God to help and he did....I gave up on the worry before the moment of surgery and came through with flying colors....No near death :) Just a chubby gal who is sore and still hurting on the left with deep breathing...nothing more, nothing less! You'll be fine and good luck !

Jill

Im glad to see this thread. I have been in the process of getting my band for almost 2 years. Im hoping to have it in 2 months. Everytime I get close to getting it my mom reminds me of the dangers of anethesia...but I have also had a few minor procedures (99% of them she told me to do), but I guess I have to pray and just keep reminding myself that the risks of dying from obesity are much higher (especially considering my family history).

Thanks for asking this. :-)

Edited by Lilpeach_059

Moxi-

Your post could have been mine a few months ago. I'd never had surgery and was terrified of leaving my daughter for something so "selfish". I was on this site a lot and saw how many people were having successful surgery everyday. I weighed the low risk of this surgery versus the risk of my manageable diabetes turning into insulin dependent and surely shortening my life. Believe me I was terrified until I woke up after surgery, but it was the right decision for me- I was banded on 6/5.

Good luck in your decision making.

Linda

Moxi, I felt the same as you. I have two little boys and was terrified I might die on the table and leave them without a mum.

Bear in mind the risk of death from this is so so so low, minute. And, so long as you have a good surgeon who knows everything about you and your medical history, they will take that into account when doing the surgery.

I know it's really scary and nothing / nobody really placated me or managed to reduce that fear. In the end, it has all worked for me (am four days banded). I'm still here and now my boys are going to get a mum that's half the size with twice the energy!

i was really scared the night before the op, and the next morning i felt like i will die and wont see my children again, but i said to myself "I have to do it" so when to the hospital and on my way i was praying and asking good for forgivness and thought that this is it.... i wont come out of the op room. But here i am still alive plus i am loosing weight....... new me :)))

DONT BE SCARED YOU WILL BE ALLRIGHT AND HAPPY :)))) GOOD LUCK :)))

The night before the surgery I couldn't sleep and then that morning I became terrified of dying on the operating table. I was so glad when they finally gave me the drugs to knock me out before the surgery. I was literally a bundle of nerves. It was completely irrational though. I came out of surgery fine and I'm very glad I did it.

A friend of mine did die ... but it was the full gastric bypass. I feel confident with my surgeon. He has done hundreds with no deaths with lapband.