Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE listen to your body...

I could post this on so many threads that I decided to make it its own. My story...I was banded in 2001 (yes, one of the first after FDA approval in the US), and have never had a single complication. I've lost 110 pounds, have felt fine, and really haven't given my band a second thought in years.

About two months ago I started having trouble swallowing and some pain in the epigastric area and under my ribs on the left side. The first thought in my mind and the first sentence out of my mouth to my doctor was "something's wrong with my band" I've had a scope, a CT, a ton of lab and x-rays, all of which were basically inconclusive except for the scope, which showed gastritis and erosive esophagitis all around my band. They put me on meds and told me it would be fine. Then the first part of this week the pain got intense and I finally demanded to be seen by my original surgeon (who doesn't do bands anymore, he made an exception). I saw him on Wednesday afternoon and was in emergency surgery by 3 pm.

What it was...I had tiny pinhole perforations of my stomach along the band that none of the other tests showed. I went through 2 months of pain and fear to find out it was what I told them on the first appointment. Another week, maybe another couple days, I wouldn't be writing this. My family would be planning my funeral.

So please, please don't be swayed if you know something's wrong. I think alot of doctors don't really understand the band and it's complications, and they try to focus on what they know how to fix. I found this forum several weeks ago when I was trying to figure it out and it was a big help. So I hope I can be helpful to others. You know your body better than the doctor does.

So the lesson is...go with your gut instinct! (pardon the pun, couldn't help myself)

Thank you for your post. I'm in a similar boat right now. SOMETHING is wrong, and I don't know who to see. Seems my surgeon only does the surgeries now, and passes on the patients to other dr.s on staff. :blink:

I'm searching the board for similar experiences with pain. I have pain that radiates to my middle back, but comes and goes. It seems to come in the afternoon, and the last two days were excruciating. Today, after a barely nothing Breakfast, I headed out on errands. About 3 hours after breakfast, the intense pain started again. I barely made it home before throwing up Water. I've also had a LOT of heartburn.

A GREAT post. Absolutely, I agree TOTALLY.

Something very similar happened to me, at least in the serious potential. It almost cost me my life SEVERAL times, so I can relate to every word of your experience.

People, problems with the band can KILL YOU. There have been many comments lately about all of the "negative" posts on this forum....but there is a REASON for the negative posts: People are having problems, very serious problems.

On occasion, I see someone here who is experiencing some unusual pain, and they come HERE, to this forum, to ask what the problem might be, when they SHOULD be turning OFF thier computer and high-tailing it into their Surgeons office.

Michelle731, I don't give a Rats A** what your surgeon is or isn't doing these days in terms of seeing patients. INSIST on seeing HIM. I had to threaten my surgeon with a lawsuit to get him to see me, but he did. He was NOT nice about it, but he changed his tune and realized that my insistence on seeing him probably saved him from a malpractice/death lawuit.

So get on the phone, and tell him if he doesn't see you RIGHT AWAY, the next call you make will be to your lawyer. I've had to play this game before, and Doctors have to realize that they can't simply sew you up, walk away, and hand off the problems to some intern. Nope. Won't happen. THEY put it in you, and THEY are going to treat you when there is a problem.

Kslexi, I'm glad you're ok, and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm not opposed to the Lap Band, but there is a growing community of people who are having problems (sometimes life-threatening) with the Band, and they need to be supported in their efforts to get proper treatment from the Surgeon that PUT THE THING IN!

:blink:

HH

A GREAT post. Absolutely, I agree TOTALLY.

Something very similar happened to me, at least in the serious potential. It almost cost me my life SEVERAL times, so I can relate to every word of your experience.

People, problems with the band can KILL YOU. There have been many comments lately about all of the "negative" posts on this forum....but there is a REASON for the negative posts: People are having problems, very serious problems.

On occasion, I see someone here who is experiencing some unusual pain, and they come HERE, to this forum, to ask what the problem might be, when they SHOULD be turning OFF thier computer and high-tailing it into their Surgeons office.

Michelle731, I don't give a Rats A** what your surgeon is or isn't doing these days in terms of seeing patients. INSIST on seeing HIM. I had to threaten my surgeon with a lawsuit to get him to see me, but he did. He was NOT nice about it, but he changed his tune and realized that my insistence on seeing him probably saved him from a malpractice/death lawuit.

So get on the phone, and tell him if he doesn't see you RIGHT AWAY, the next call you make will be to your lawyer. I've had to play this game before, and Doctors have to realize that they can't simply sew you up, walk away, and hand off the problems to some intern. Nope. Won't happen. THEY put it in you, and THEY are going to treat you when there is a problem.

Kslexi, I'm glad you're ok, and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm not opposed to the Lap Band, but there is a growing community of people who are having problems (sometimes life-threatening) with the Band, and they need to be supported in their efforts to get proper treatment from the Surgeon that PUT THE THING IN!

:tongue_smilie:

HH

Don't you think a lot of problems from from band mills? Places where the surgeon does one band after another and then never sees the patient again.

I hate band mills! Hate WLS mills of any kind.

Don't you think a lot of problems from from band mills? Places where the surgeon does one band after another and then never sees the patient again.

I hate band mills! Hate WLS mills of any kind.

Yes, Absolutely.

Bariatric Surgery is BIG business now, and it seems like everyone who has fingers to pick up a scalpel is getting into it. My mantra has become "research your Surgeon CAREFULLY,....then research them AGAIN".

Now, I think that there is SOME benefit to having your surgery performed by someone who does a LOT of them, and ONLY bariatric Surgeries. But many of these "Mills" just don't seem to have the standards that would make me comforatable with having them open me up.

And it's tough to advise people on a methodology to use when selecting a "provider". When I had my Lap Band installed, I chose a World-Class medical center (Cedars-Sinai), and I thought I was getting second-to-none expertise. Not the case. I got a hack surgeon, a medical staff who was ONLY concerned with signing up the next patient, and when the problems arose, I think these clowns retreated to a special bunker built under beverly blvd designed to protect idiot surgeons from irate patients who have been butchered.

So, yes, the WLS Mills are a huge problem, but I think that some of these mills are disguised and operating inside otherwise reputable Medical Facilities. It's tough to sort out the good from the bad.

HH

Yes, Absolutely.

Bariatric Surgery is BIG business now, and it seems like everyone who has fingers to pick up a scalpel is getting into it. My mantra has become "research your Surgeon CAREFULLY,....then research them AGAIN".

Now, I think that there is SOME benefit to having your surgery performed by someone who does a LOT of them, and ONLY bariatric Surgeries. But many of these "Mills" just don't seem to have the standards that would make me comforatable with having them open me up.

And it's tough to advise people on a methodology to use when selecting a "provider". When I had my Lap Band installed, I chose a World-Class medical center (Cedars-Sinai), and I thought I was getting second-to-none expertise. Not the case. I got a hack surgeon, a medical staff who was ONLY concerned with signing up the next patient, and when the problems arose, I think these clowns retreated to a special bunker built under beverly blvd designed to protect idiot surgeons from irate patients who have been butchered.

So, yes, the WLS Mills are a huge problem, but I think that some of these mills are disguised and operating inside otherwise reputable Medical Facilities. It's tough to sort out the good from the bad.

HH

I wonder if you and I shouldn't revise the "Researching Mexical Lap Band Surgeons" (link in my sig) to include warnings of how to spot a band mill. That thread is good for searching US or MX surgeons. What do you think? Any suggestions on what to add?

People have no way of knowing what little details to look for until after the surgery. Once you have been through it you know what to look for. I want something so people know what to ask before surgery and not after.

I think the #1 warning is someone who only does one surgery type. If they only do bands they aren't going to educate patients on all their options, or they will down surgery types they do not do. Bands are easy money, other surgeries are more difficult to do, they take more experience, more skill, and more time.

Bands require aftercare for life, is that a pain for the doctor or easy money? Sometimes I'm not sure which. If they only do bands instead of sleeves, for example, then they have assured themselves that patient will likely be with them for life. Sleeves require no aftercare so maybe they don't like that, once they are done with surgery... they are done.

I think we should revise the link in my thread, suggestions?

Oh yes! That's a GREAT idea!

People really need to know HOW to pick a WLS Surgeon. I see SO many posts from people about their surgeons like "oh he was so sweet, so caring....I just loved his manners" and that kind of stuff. People really need to know that there is so much more that they need to learn about a surgeon than what color his big, dreamy eyes are.....

HH

Michelle, that's how mine started. Pain in the center of my stomach and center of my back. In the end, I also would take a drink of juice and 3 hours later throw up just the juice. It just sat in my pouch. I agree with the above posts, do what you got to do, don't be afraid to be the "bad guy". For me it took a crying screaming 2 year old tantrum in my doctor's office to get sent to the surgeon. Whose first question to me was "why did they wait so long to send you here?" He told me even after almost 8 years, he's responsible for me and my band. Which might be something for you to inform your surgeon. HE put it in you. HE is responsible. He can't pass you off to another dr. unless you let him.

I also needed emergency surgery to have the band removedm just 2 wks ago. I only had the band for 8 mos and all seemed to be fine til the last month. First my symptoms indicated that the band was too tight, then after being loosened a bit, it was still getting worse I was unfilled completely. Still no change, and the barium swallow showed no slippage. I had pain under my sternum area and on the left side under my ribs. Whatever I tried to eat or sip on would cause spasms under my sternum area. I am still not sure what exactly happened. I was told that my body had basically rejected the band as a foreign object but I don't think the doc was really sure of what happened. All I know is that I had filled with Fluid and my organs (liver and other) had moved and adhered to my stomach in order to protect the rest of the body. That's where all the pain under my ribs were caused by. I'm trying to describe symptoms to reinforce how important it is to listen to your body and make the call to the doc. In fact, after the surgery my doc told me how good it was that I listened to my body and I'm thankful that she was not hesitant at all to move on it. It was pretty serious but it could have turned out to be a nightmare if we didn't act on it. I was so dissapointed to have the band removed but in some way there is a bit of relief that I won't have to worry about any of the risks involved.

I hope this info is also helpful but don't try to self diagnos... don't hesitate to call the doc.

Best to all

Sleeve surgery needs no aftercare?? What if there are complications with that? I think all of this applies to any and all surgeries.

Sleeve surgery needs no aftercare?? What if there are complications with that? I think all of this applies to any and all surgeries.

There can be complications with any surgery but the point is after you heal there is no routine aftercare, no maintenance, nothing.

I agree 100% with these posts about listening to your body. After being banded in May 07 and suffering constantly from complications that my doctor dismissed, I actually started to believe that maybe it "was all in my head". That maybe nothing was wrong with me, although I had the inability to eat or drink sometimes for days at a time while completely loosened. If you read my story, you will understand that you should NEVER let anyone try to convince you of something other then what you know you are feeling and experiencing. You know your body better then anyone else, regardless of a surgeons experience or PHD. Please do not take this lightly...

I was originally banded in May 2007 and from the first day, expereinced problems with liquids (even Water or saliva). I tried to explain these troubles to my doctor for months, and was assured it was normal, just swelling and healing process. After 6+ months, I knew this could not be the case. I was throwing up more then 10 times a day, and was living off of high calorie foods because I was so starved and only some liquids or crackers would go down easily. I would also have good days, or nights, and bad days or weeks- there was no pattern or reason, some days I could eat a bit, others I could not even swallow Water. I could not eat or drink in the morning, and would wait until well after noon to try drinking. I would never drink anything while working or driving incase I had to throw up. I never knew what was going to happen. I would burp contantly and wake up in the morning with air bubbles in my throat. I also had the constant feeling that something was choking me- didn't matter what I tried.My doctor said that I needed to chew my food better, eat more slowly, etc, etc. I was following the post op rules to a T and still something wasn't right. About 5 months in, I woke from a deep sleep with a terrible stabbing pain in my chest and back- had my family call me an ambulance, and was rushed to the hosptial and told they thought I was suffering from a heart attack. I am overweight, at 250 pounds and only 5'5" but am only 20 years old- a heart attack didn't seem likely. The doctors tested me for everything, my heart and everything else was fine. I knew it was the band. They gave me iv fluids and a heavy muscle relaxant. Turns out this saved my life more then once (I'll explain further). I went home after 24 hrs and the pain slowly subsided. I kept contacting my doctor who said there was nothing wrong. This hospital emergency-like attack of pain happened 5 more times over that year and a half since being banded, and no er surgeon could figure out what was happening, until the last one suggested it was my stomach going into convulsions.

After over a year and a half of insisting I was sick to my lap band doctor, I finally had tests done. The barrium swallow and endoscope tests were coming back fine, I demanded he do something. In the meantime, my port had turned and they couldn't do any adjustments (I was .5 cc from being totally defilled) so I was told I would have a quick port surgery three days later. I agreed, and when I woke realized that much more then a port move had occured- as I had all five original incisions reopened and was in MUCH more pain then after the original banding. This was in October 2008.

When I woke from the anesthetic, my doctor told me he decided to operate fully and found a hiatal hernia (very very large) and my stomach had been sliding up into the chest and slipping in and out of the band. The serious pain attacks that landed me in the emergency room so many times was the hernia (diaphragm) tearing open wider and my stomach squeezing and sliding upward through it. Turns out those muscle relaxants may have saved my life more then once, as the stomach was spasiming and could have ruptured.

SO- Not only did I wake up from a surgery I did not consent to, but I was re-banded! I was upset that I had such a major surgery without my consent, and further that my surgeon would decide for me to have another band introduced without giving me an option. He explained that he thought it was the best decision (let me specify, he explained all this to me as I woke from the anesthetic and was on morphine for the pain, not when I was recovered and fully able to pay attention to what the details were). Although I was infuriated, I was happy that FINALLY we found the problem and fixed it. Now I knew for sure I wasn't crazy and that I was right all along. I was sent home same day and proceeded with the same guidelines post op.

It seemed, for about 5-6 months that things were better than last time. I did not have any serious pain attacks anymore, but was still having trouble keeping foods and liquids, even my own saliva, down. This got worse as the weeks went on, and even though I told my doctor something was wrong, he said I was fine again. I demanded another barrium swallow xray, and he literally itched his head and said it appeared to be perfect. This was just two months ago, May 2009. It's unlikely, he explained, with all the scar tissue inside for the band to slip again. He suggested, after another 3 months of my constant complaints to remove the band and said maybe my body was rejecting it- although highly unlikely. I refused to allow this surgeon to operate on me, first of all not giving me a real diagnosis, and secondly, claiming it was so unlikely that it had slipped when all my symptoms were the same. He said he did not want to remove the last cc of Fluid from the band either, in fear that it could slip. As you can tell, this wasn't making much sense. All I knew was that I was not losing any weight for 2 years and suffering daily from pain and throwing up. I am quite literally surviving off of high calorie fluids like ice cream, frozen yogurt, yogurt, and Soups (homemade) when I can stomach them. Again, this means I eat once every few days, and obviously try to limit my portions despite how hungry I feel at that time.

SO.. I started looking for another surgeon. I found one who would see me right away. He asked to have the operative reports sent to him from the original band surgery in May 07 and the revision in October 2008 as well. He also wanted to see the xray images, so I arranged to have them sent to him right away. I was not surprised to learn that the previous surgeon had simply printed out a generic form of the lap band procedure and penciled in "repair" of band in replacement of the word "introduced" the band. In other words, there was nothing in writing saying what had happened in my surgery from October, no mention of the band slip or the hernia, or the repair! The xrays did show, however, that something was definately wrong. The new doctor could see right away that nothing was able to pass through the band, that it appeared to be way too tight. He asked if there was any Fluid in my band, and I told him one cc was left in fear that it could slip. He told me that should never be a reason to keep in fluid, and attempted to remove the 1 cc. To his surprise, it WAS completely empty already?!? This surgeon told me as well, that my port had shifted and was turned, and that it clearly was not stitched into place during the last procedure. He also said that the band, although it appeared to be in the correct position was clearly either too small, or in the wrong position for my body type (in other words it may vary between patients). He also said it is a possibility that the hernia is back or was not properly repaired, and that the stomach is slipping through the band once again (just that the xray in that moment showed it in a good place, does not guaruntee that it is always in that same position). He also informed me that the surgeon who placed my band originally does not stitch the band into place (that this could have caused the slippage issues).

So, here I go again. I am scheduled for surgery next week on Friday. He is going to remove the existing band and repair any damage he sees in respect to another potential hernia. He also gave me the option to try another type of band, a better quality one, and would only introduce this IF my body using his judgement, was healthy enough for it. I decided I may as well give it one more try, but am obviously very nervous. I wanted this tool to work for me, and if its possible that all my complications were caused by a hernia or not stitching the band onto the stomach then perhaps 3 times a charm? Or, is this another risk I shouldn't be taking..

I guess I will see what happens next week.

MORAL OF THE STORY- listen to your body, you know it best and be persistent with doctors. Also, seek a second opinion. This is your body, you only have one, and you need to make taking care of it a priority. Finally, no matter what any one tells you, pain swallowing fluids and very well chewed foods is not normal, constant throwing up is not normal, constant burping is not normal, pain in the rib/chest/back area that is persistent is not normal, the feeling that you are being choked is not normal! If you think these things are normal and that's what the band is all about you are wrong. This is a tool to help you make healthy choices in eating, not a tool to restrict you from eating or drinking at all.

kposer-

I'm really sorry that you've had to experience all of this. I had my band removed due to complications about 6wks ago and was not given any other option but Weight Watchers! I'm not sure what I would chose to do if given the option but I'm still so disappointed that I no longer have it. It sounds like the doctor that your seeing now may be more attentive to your individual medical history. I believe that some of the surgeons who do this are strictly textbook and need to really listen to what the patient is saying.

I wish you the best of luck on Friday and going forward. Keep us updated on how you're doing.

vee

What ended up happening with this last surgery?

Thank you for your post. I'm in a similar boat right now. SOMETHING is wrong, and I don't know who to see. Seems my surgeon only does the surgeries now, and passes on the patients to other dr.s on staff. :scared2:

I'm searching the board for similar experiences with pain. I have pain that radiates to my middle back, but comes and goes. It seems to come in the afternoon, and the last two days were excruciating. Today, after a barely nothing Breakfast, I headed out on errands. About 3 hours after Breakfast, the intense pain started again. I barely made it home before throwing up Water. I've also had a LOT of heartburn.

Michelle...I hope you find this post....Your pain sounds a lot to me like Gallbladder pain. It can cause epigastric pain that radiates to the back and nausea and vommiting. If you still have a gallbladder, see your GP, or your surgeon, anyone can order a Gallbladder sonogram for you to check it out.

Good luck!

Christine