Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else out there OK with losing slowly with an unfilled or small filled band?

Hi all,

First let me say that I know I'm going to get "whipping" posts, but I just had to ask.

Can I be the only one who is OK with slow weight loss and a band that is unfilled or only partially filled?

I had an issue where the Dr & I decided to completely unfill my band back in May. Since then, I've been able to eat any food I choose (mostly all good choices) and not have to worry about PB'ing, sliming or chewing each bite 40 times.

We went on vacation to Disney World for 2 weeks, and I had no issue with the flight, ate what I chose (did have some "no no" items) and still worked out almost every day and watched my portions.

When we got back from vacation, I hadn't gained a single pound. In fact, I lost 2oz (anyone who knows the food options @ Disney for 2 weeks can understand what an accomplishment this was)

I am trying to live my life like my band is filled, without actually having to get it filled (so far so good). I still work out at least 5X a week, I eat proper foods, and follow the rules. I just find it SO much easier to eat chicken & broccoli without worrying if it will come back up, etc.

I will admit that I am just starting this process, but I am hopeful it will be lifelong. I cannot tell you the freedom I've had from eating the foods I should be eating and without the worry; it makes more of a difference than I can describe in words.

I am perfectly OK with losing 1lb or less a week as long as I don't have to fight my food. Anyone else out there??

The BEST part of having the band, is if I really do "fall off the wagon" I can always fill it back up :)

I think you have found what works for you. And that is the whole idea of the lap band. It is not a "one size fits all" kind of tool. We each have to make it work for our individual lifestyle. Congratulations on using this tool you friend and not your enemy!

Elgrad

Hi all,

First let me say that I know I'm going to get "whipping" posts, but I just had to ask.

Can I be the only one who is OK with slow weight loss and a band that is unfilled or only partially filled?

I had an issue where the Dr & I decided to completely unfill my band back in May. Since then, I've been able to eat any food I choose (mostly all good choices) and not have to worry about PB'ing, sliming or chewing each bite 40 times.

We went on vacation to Disney World for 2 weeks, and I had no issue with the flight, ate what I chose (did have some "no no" items) and still worked out almost every day and watched my portions.

When we got back from vacation, I hadn't gained a single pound. In fact, I lost 2oz (anyone who knows the food options @ Disney for 2 weeks can understand what an accomplishment this was)

I am trying to live my life like my band is filled, without actually having to get it filled (so far so good). I still work out at least 5X a week, I eat proper foods, and follow the rules. I just find it SO much easier to eat chicken & broccoli without worrying if it will come back up, etc.

I will admit that I am just starting this process, but I am hopeful it will be lifelong. I cannot tell you the freedom I've had from eating the foods I should be eating and without the worry; it makes more of a difference than I can describe in words.

I am perfectly OK with losing 1lb or less a week as long as I don't have to fight my food. Anyone else out there??

The BEST part of having the band, is if I really do "fall off the wagon" I can always fill it back up :)

NO, NO, NO!!! You are not alone. I, like you, believe that you should be able to live a fairly normal life with the band. And a healthy life with the band. Isn't that what the band is all about?

Those who suffer with daily PBing, vomiting, reflux, heartburn and pain in order to reach some number on the scale do so at their own peril. Having a too tight band and daily reflux could result in band erosion and/or esophageal cancer. Not to mention the quality of life is compromised.

I was banded in September 2008 and have only lost about 25 pounds from the day of surgery (10 of those were from that 2 week post-op liquid diet). I might be losing about a pound a month now. My total weight loss from all the dieting I have done on my own and with the lapband journey is about 75 pounds. I am fine with that.

What I was not fine with was when I was overfilled and developed reflux, heartburn and pain. When I had a slight unfill, those symptoms resolved. NEVER AGAIN - even if I don't lose another ounce.

I count calories, eat healthy, low fat foods, exercise every day, keep a food journal, don't drink with meals and basically follow the lapband rules.

I so agree with everything you said. And I'm glad you said it.

Take care and good luck.

I tend to think along similar lines.

I mean, I did and DO need fill to have lost weight at around 1-2lb per week and to maintain that loss.

But I am not interested in living on tiny portions, I am not interested in cutting out food groups, I am not interested in what I consider dysfunctional behaviours like logging food and Water and counting Protein. I dont want to offend anyone by saying that, but its not how I want to live my life and i've never ever found that sort of thing effective for me with weight loss.

So i was more than happy with a pound or two a week - I still got an incredible result, I mean I have a BMI of 21!!!!I lost all my weight and then some AND I feel I've created maintainable habits and a pleasant lifestyle

Color...

I totally agree with you. I was banded on March 30 and just had my second fill and now have about 4.4 cc in. As of now, I am suffering none of the bad side effects that I hear talked about and written about on this board. The flip side to that is that I am not losing a huge amount of weight either. This is a lifestyle change and like a ship in the Water, it's going to take time for me to change. If it doesn't take time, then, for me, it won't stick. I've also been working out 5 days a week and am probably in the best physical shape since before I went to college (25+ years ago) and I love that. Overall, I just feel so much better about myself. I drink a small amount of liquid (4 oz) with a meal. I'm not ready to change that and don't know if I ever will be. One-2 pounds of weight loss per week is fine with me. I think it has all been because of the workout/strength training anyway. Thanks for posting because I was feeling a little guilty for not following the program as prescribed. I rarely follow anything as prescribed so I guess it will be the same with the band. I needed the confirmation.

I'm glad you started this thread, because I've been thinking about starting one for a while now!

I've been filling very conservatively, and that's the way it's going to stay. I'm almost three months out and I have 1cc -- .5 at the two month mark and .5 just added today! I have decent restriction (eat about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I used to, can't eat too fast or pieces too large) but I also don't really have no no foods. If I'm careful enough, I can tolerate some breads, steak, Pasta and other typical problematic foods. I've never been stuck to the point where I've had to force it back up, but I definitely get the golf ball warning sign if I don't behave...enough to keep me in check!

I'm obviously losing slower than those who really fill 'er up, but that's okay with me, because I'm still losing steadily. I'm looking for a balanced diet -- not a super restricted diet. I have no interest in stressing about what I can eat in public situations or vomiting up my food. I will not trade that for a quick weight loss.

The band forces me to make better choices, choosing Protein over carbs (well, most of the time), salads over sandwiches, and stopping when I'm full. It was really the mental lift that I needed. My hope is that a lot of optimism and willpower meets a bit of physical restriction. I envision a Weight Watchers/South Beach-esque diet that I don't fall off of every time there's a birthday or a vacation. It's a permanent reminder, every day, how unhappy I was...and that keeps me in line.

With all that said, I realize that this does not work for everyone, and I don't mean to imply that it does. Some certainly need more physical assistance than others. We're all different, but at the end of the day, whatever works and whatever makes you happy...and you're exactly right, Colorado, if this stops working, we can always fill up -- the beauty of the adjustable band.

I would love to hear more success stories from conservative fillers who are at, or near, goal!

The thing that worries me is that I've now spent as long on maintenance as I did losing. And maintaining by far has been the biggest change, the real part of the "journey". Learing to live with a normal weight body, learning how to eat normally rather than 'diet', learning how to approach exercise as lifestyle tool rather than as a punishment for being fat, its all involved a huge mental adjustment.

People can and do lose 100+ lb in a year and I'm not saying that they're going to fail, not by a long shot. But I'd say that they've completed maybe 1/3 of the journey at that stage. It worries me people rushing off immediately for extensive cosmetic surgery etc becuase I think you need to adjust and mellow out a bit and come to terms with it all.

But we're all individuals and maybe that's just me.

Thanks everyone for the GREAT and motivativing posts! I knew there were "more like me" out there!

I agree with EVERYTHING posted, and you all put it much better than I did!

I want to live in my new smaller body, not have my family worried every time I put something in my mouth. I have to share what happened on Mother's day which was the "final straw" so to speak.

My family took me to Claim Jumper for dinner (if you've ever eaten there, you know the size portions are ridiculous!). I ordered chicken strips and a caesar salad for me and my 2 boys to share. My husband got ribs & chicken. He gave me a TINY (and I TRULY mean TINY people, smaller than the size of a nickel) bite of rib meat. Well, I was in the bathroom 6 times trying to get it "up" which it finally did 90 minutes into the meal. Imagine the look on my kids' face everytime I stood up and retreated to the bathroom for 10+ mins, then came back to see them with the "mommy are you ok" look on their face and me assuring them, yes, I'm fine boys, really (which everyone including myself knew I wasn't).

So needless to say I didn't try anything else, and the manager felt so bad he offered to treat dessert. Guess what? THAT I could eat! That was when it really hit me..this makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever! I can't eat the things I should, and the only thing I can keep down are things I shouldn't.

I know there are a lot of people looking for a quick and massive weight loss, but that is just not me! I LOVE having lost 40lbs and feel like a new person. I haven't been this small since I met my husband. I went from a size 20-22 to a 16 and still losing. Honestly, the ONLY reason I feel like I'm "cheating the band" is because I'm not following the program to the letter. I feel SO much better that there are those out there who feel the same, and don't look down on my as if I'm "cheating", I don't feel at all like I am. I feel ALIVE again, and don't have to worry what will or won't stay down.

Sorry for the length of this post, I just am so relieved to hear from others and look forward to getting even smaller!:)

Well, Colorado, your post makes a lot more sense to me and is a far healthier attitude than those who post something along the lines of: "I vomit 3 times a day, PB a lot, have Fluid coming out my nose when I sleep, haven't had a good night's sleep in a long time, have constant heartburn and reflux, can only tolerate liquids until 5pm and then only 2 bites of soft foods after that, but I LOVE MY BAND and have lost ____(fill in the blank)."

I was banded in Feb. the fill that was put in during surgery was removed after I had problems swallowing and was hospitalized with dehydration. I have lost 50 pounds without the band being filled. I have been so fortunate to feel full after eating small amounts of food. I haven't lost weight in a couple of weeks, but figure I need to do something a little different with my diet. I follow all the rules of eating, no junk, sweets etc. I will not go running for a fill!! I know this will pass and I will lose again!! You are not alone..

Last week I went to my doctor for what was to have been my third fill. Actually, I didn't even have a second one. I have 2 cc's in my band, haven't had anything get stuck, and am losing weight. My doctor says that as long as that's happening he sees no reason for me to have a fill. I'm eating much less than I used to, and am full, though I struggle sometimes with head hunger. That, I think is something I will be dealing with for as long as it takes. The important thing for me is that I recognize when I'm full, and I'm making healthy food choices most of the time.

My doctor says he doesn't want me to have to deal with food getting stuck or p bing. I like that!

Debbie

I join you. I have had one fill, not sure how much. I can eat most things as long as I rembemer to take my time, when I don't life changes very fast. I don't like it and I don't want another fill to make that PBing more of an issue. I am loosing steadily and I don't want my life to be only about what I can't eat. I have lost 43lbs so far, choices haven't been great lately but since I know that I can work on it. Glad to hear about others like me.

I am one month out of surgery and have lost 13 lbs. I have good restriction and no side effects. I eat anything I want, just smaller potions. I go out to eat with friends and politely smile when someone notices how much I don’t eat. I am enjoying how I feel and am not chained to food. I don't want a fill if it is going to change how good things are now.

Well, Colorado, your post makes a lot more sense to me and is a far healthier attitude than those who post something along the lines of: "I vomit 3 times a day, PB a lot, have Fluid coming out my nose when I sleep, haven't had a good night's sleep in a long time, have constant heartburn and reflux, can only tolerate liquids until 5pm and then only 2 bites of soft foods after that, but I LOVE MY BAND and have lost ____(fill in the blank)."

I had a conversation with my NP during my last fill that sounded just like this! (The needle was sticking out of my stomach at the time :tongue_smilie: )

I told her about how many people I see on here that type just what you see. I also told her that if I ever have more then one episode of getting stuck/throwing up etc that can't be explained by my own stupidity--I'm coming in to get an unfill.

I lost 5 lbs in the six weeks between my last two fills

but guess what, the scale is going in the right direction!

My surgeon told me it's not unusual for some people to be able to lose without ever having anything put in the band, and others may only have one or two fills in their lifetime. He said trust your body and see what works for you. I'm 4 weeks out from surgery, and currently in lap band hell, and scheduled for my first fill on July 1. My hope is to have small enough fill to feel full and satisfied with less food, and to be able to avoid vomiting and other problems. As it is now, I can eat anything I used to, but have to chew very well and can eat a good deal less than before. My own paranoia helps me, because I have a horrible fear of vomiting, so I stop before I get uncomfortably full. I haven't thrown up in several years and I'm planning on keeping it that way.