Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I gain weight?!?!?

I really REALLY want to get the Lap-Band surgery! It’s very expensive though. According to my insurance if my BMI is over 40.0 I do not need any co-morbidity factors for them to pay. I am only 20 lbs away from 40.2 BMI. It makes me almost cry just thinking about it! Should I gain the weight??

I've been heavy all my life. I feel like the real me is under all this fat and I want so desperately to come out!

:grouphug:

I might be able to afford the surgery on my own but it will be tough.

Whatever you do don't gain that weight. With that 20 pounds could come those other problems. Try and work with the insurance company, get your docs to send them how your weight affects your health, etc. If all else do self pay. Paying for it is worth far more then having to lose those 20 pounds. Just my opinion, but good luck on your journey.

I agree with Brockbabe. Don't gain the weight. Alot of peoples insurance companies have the same thing and they sometimes put weights in their clothes to gain the weight. Just try talking with them. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you have to gain for weight loss surgery. If your bmi is over 35 shouldn't that be reason enough?

I'm thinking... wear some heavy clothes and all the jewlery you own, don't use the restroom until after you weigh, eat a big meal just before (the opposite of all the things I do when I am trying to weigh less).

I can totally understand why you would consider gaining the weight to qualify, but I would just hate for you to do that. Talk to the doctor's office. Be frank. Maybe they will have some suggestions.

Either way...good luck!

When I talked with my Primary Care Physician, I explained that I was borderline in my 5-year history of being over BMI of 35 (I have 2 co-morbidities) and was just sick that after being where I am, and a history of it just going up and up and up, that I'd get stuck with some weights in my record just shy of the BMI I needed. he said, well ---- let's re-measure your height and see if it is correct.

To be fair ---- my records had heights listed within 2 inches ---- all from different people measuring. I bent my knees a bit and he did not look down at all. I ended up making it! He had all my heights re-listed in the records even. I felt he was a gift from God!

I'd lost 23 pounds on my 6-month diet and was under the BMI, so I did gain back 7 of the pounds and I did carry a roll of BB's in my pocket too - One pocket had bb's the other had rolls of quarters. just to be sure. I've not had to be weighed since ------ and I just keep losing (or trying to lose).

Do what you need to do. My dr. said to me, "we know you need the surgery and a little technicality isn't helping. The surgery will help your health."

if it were 5 or even 10 pounds, i'd say do it. i also agree that adding a roll of quarters to the cuff of each pant leg is ok....but that won't add up to 20 lbs (perhaps a combo of both would be less drastic-a few pounds and some quarters).

here is where i question: you are desperate enough to gain 20lbs, but perhaps not desperate enough to spend the money to self pay. I understand desperation, i really do as i was faced with this a few years ago. i chose to try and lose weight on my own rather than gain for WLS. here i am a few years later 25 lbs heavier and getting WLS.

i guess what i am trying to say is that you should probably get the WLS as most of us fail at long term weight loss once we've crossed that BMI of 35, but you must decide for yourself what is more reasonable...20 more pounds or a few years of catching up financialy. I only suggest you make the "healthier" choice.

best of luck,

-kat

Contact your insurance provider or case manager and find out more specifics. There may be a lower BMI requirement if you have other approved co-morbidities. I had the same type of problem. However, since my medical records had multiple occurences of aspiration pneumonia due to night time relflux (from my weight) they covered. For co-morbidities the BMI requirement was 35.

Good luck.

I agree that gaining 5 lbs or so would be ok but 20 is alot. You could really hurt yourself by gaining 20.