Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Banded yet and hate exercise

I am taking the last of my pre-tests this week then I'll get my surg date. I'm excited about it but the more I read here I'm getting a bit worried about this exercise situation.

I literally HATE to exercise. I don't like to sweat.

Is it absolutely necessary for me to exercise in order to lose the weight after the band?

I think I'll be able to stick to my food plan fairly easily after the band but the exercise you guys are talking about puts a damper on things for me.

Exercise?

DO I HAVE TO? :thumbup:

Then the band might not be right for you.

It does require work. You'll still lose without exercise, but it will be much slower.

But....don't you want to get healthy? Isn't that kind of the point? You cannot be truly healthy without doing some exercise.

HH

I agree. If all you want to do is sit around, well, you don't need the band for that!

Exercise is LOTS of things....it's walking while you shop, it's being able to run errands without needing a "scooter" it's being able to take care of life without needing frequent breaks to rest and catch your breath.

In other words, exercise doesn't mean doing an aerobic video every day.

However your heart needs you to get active enough to sweat.

I don't "like" exercise either but I like less feeling unable to do things I want to do because I'm too darned fat.

So you have to ask why do you want to lose:

if it's to be healthy, exercise is part of that. You can be that fat lump sitting on the couch, or a thin flabby lump sitting on the couch....OR you can exercise and be that active person!

If it's for looks, then exercise is just as important!

There's no reason to take the drastic step of banding where exercise doesn't make as much sense.

It is possible to lose without exercise, but you probably wont lose all your weight and you'll probably lose slowly.

And exercise is key in keeping the weight OFF.

I hate the idea of excercise as well and I agree with you about the sweating part BUT I need this. I didn't want to be the statistic that is I'll loose 100lbs and then gain back that plus another 50. Excercise is vital anyway for well being and although I hate it I know I need to do it. Try to make it fun, if you don't like sweating then do something involving Water so you don't feel so hot. I hope this all goes well for you and you make the right decision.

If you think you hate exercise, you aren't doing the right ones.

Exercise doesn't have to working out in the gym or using fitness DVDs. It can be anything that makes you move your body. Find something you love to do that's active and do that. Don't think of it as "exercise"; think of it as your new hobby.

Some ideas:

Swimming, salsa dancing, joining a softball team, walking around the neighborhood, Water aerobics, biking in the park, ice skating, bowling, yoga.

I am ready for the band and I know I will make a success of it barring no complication with the surg.

Thanks Jachut, Sarah R., And MacMadame. You guys gave me some encouragement on this issue and I'll take it to heart.

I do like to dance and always wanted to learn to bowl. I just never thought of these things as exercise before.

You guys are great!

Thanks again :thumbup:

and sex.

Don't forget about sex being really, really, really, really, really, really, really GOOD exercise.

and did I mention sex?

:thumbup:

HH

Hey I'm not a big fan of exercise either. I do it only because i want to be healthy. I would recommend long walks. That way you get your exercise in and you don't really sweat alot (unless of course you are power walking or walking out in 95 degree weather). Good luck with your journey.

IMO, exercise is essential. I felt the same way about working out but somewhere along this journey I discovered that when I don't work out I am a miserable hag. I must do it and I look forward to it, every day. Besides, why would I want to be skinny and flabby? I did not go through with this surgery and give up cheeseburgers just to be 'average'. I want to rock out with my muscles out.

Thanks again guys.

Since I have already lost about 16 lbs I am able to walk around Walmart instead of taking the scooter. Walking would be something I might be interested in but power walking and sweating sounds yucky to me right now.

I think dancing, walking and learning to bowl might be my exercise program. At least these are things I know I would like to do and could keep up as a routine.

Thanks again gang! :cursing:

I think you will find that as the weight comes off it is easier to move. Sounds like you are already feeling better with the initial 16 lbs! I would suggest that you start with walking extra steps each day, even if it means just walking down the driveway and back - you will start to feel better and stronger each day.

Any movement that is beyond the normal day counts for exercise - heck, I get a super workout mowing the "hill" on our property. I have even found that I can garden and play in the dirt and get a pretty good workout. Before surgery I could last about 20 min weeding, etc and now I find myself outside for hours and really enjoying it.

Embrace this as a lifestyle change, not a diet and you will be ahead of the game once you have the surgery. It is a lot of work, but well worth it! Good luck!

Again I'd like to say thanks to all of you who gave me positive and encouraging feedback to my question. It helped me a lot and gave me some ideas of exercise I can actually do that don't seem like exercise at all. As I lose more weight I'm sure I'll be moving even more.

I walk more now than I have in years since I lost the 16 lbs. I went shopping at Walmart and walked all over the store. I usually would get a scooter or leave without getting all of my items because of the back pain related to my weight. I was amazed at myself.

I'll get there. You are right Krtork, I think I will start to feel better and stronger each day after my surg and I lose even more weight.

Please people stop saying that the band may not be for me, that isn't helpful.

Thanks again ladies! :rolleyes:

You just wouldn't believe how it changes your mood. I started out extremely slow and added 5 minutes each walk. I'm now doing long walks twice a day. I can go for hours (when and if I have the time) and it really didn't take me that long to build up my endurance. I try keeping my mind off the exercise by really noticing my surroundings (the little details) or little sounds you normally don't hear. It really makes the time go faster and before you know it ... your done and may even want to go farther.

You most likely hate exercise because your out of shape. Once you get in shape exercising makes you feel great. Best drug in the world.