Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kinds of exercise do you do?

I've worked out in the past and know I have good form in lifting weights so rather than getting a Personal Trainer, I signed up for a service on the Web where I get a new workout every two weeks. It's a good idea because the workout is balanced and the trainer makes sure that you work all your major muscle groups. The Trainer gives you an Abdominal set, Upper Body, Lower Body and stretches. Just print out the pages and take it with you to the gym.

I also try to walk at least 30 minutes a day in the AM, and when I go to the gym I make sure to use the ELLIPTICAL machine because it allows you to exercise the muscles of the lower body without stressing the joints or feet from your extra weight. I find that doing the elliptical allows me to exercise more because I'm not stressing my feet as much as just walking.

Also, if your feet start to hurt, make sure you get new shoes. I invested in a walking shoe from Ryka which makes shoes specifically for women. Look them up on the web...they also make shoes in wide sizes so you can get something which actually FITS your foot well.

Good Luck

I too have a treadmill at home that I do use sporadically, by that I mean I am really good for like 2 months - every day, then i let it sit for a month then I get back at it. I also joined curves in August and have gone 3 times a week since. I like going first thing in the morning before my workday starts. I get there at 5:45 and am done by 6:15 am. That is my must do exercise. I was a little worried about curves because I heard it got very chatty and it does, difference being I go to work out, not chat, so i will add my two cents every now and again but for the most part I think people realize I am there to work out and they pretty much leave me go to it. Just remember, any exercise is better than no exercise. Do what fits for you. and from my own personal experience, once I started doing more I was suprised at how much better I really did feel, I know everybody says that .... but it really is quite something!

I have a mini trampoline that I park in front of the TV and jog/dance for a half an hour while I watch Dr. Phil. I just got to the point where I can exercise without hurting too much (I'm two weeks out of surgery) and this is perfect for me right now.

3 days in a row and I hope to continue doing it daily.

apryl,

I have actually been doing the treadmill at the gym. I have worked myself up to an hour a session at about 4 miles an hour with a 3% incline. I just sort of worked my way up to it about 15 minutes at a time with a break for 30 mins to use the nautilus machines and then another 15 mins on the treadmill. Over time I added time to each of the treadmill sessions until I finally just got to an hour all in one go. I am AMAZED at the difference it has made for me. I can really see the difference, so can hubby. *grin*

I would get bored quickly too, except for my iPod Nano. I kid you not, the right music makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!!! Below is what is in my workout playlist specifically for the treadmill time. I would highly recommend adding the music. I just blare it and try to keep up with the beat. The Nano and the Shuffle are the best tools for exercise that have been invented in years, IMHO.

Don't Go by Yaz

Put The Needle On It by Danni Minogue

Can't get you out of my head by Kylie Minogue

Pon de Replay by Rihanna

Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves

It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls

Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...) by Lou Bega & Pérez Prado

I'm a Believer by Smashmouth

Let's Bounce by Christy Carlson & Romano Carlson

Take Me Away (Into The Night) by 4 Strings

Switch by Will Smith

Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz

Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera

Oh Yeah by Yello

NAPOLI.gif One thing, odd as it is, that keeps me focused is the sign over the archway where the treadmill I use is. Somehow along the way this sign has quit being the standard exit sign for me. I use it to meditate on while I am speed walking. It has become a symbol of "run this way to escape obesity"... I just focus on the sign, zone out to my music and the hour is over almost before I realize it. It is bizarre but I highly recommend giving it a try. Don't think about the walking or the treadmill, think of the escape, concentrate on the door that is the exit from place you are now to the place you want to be... It might work for you too.