Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do any of my fellow bandsters have an under active thyroid???? i had blood work done again and found out yesterday that i have an under active thyroid...she prescribed thyroid medicine and said it should help me to lose more weight....

I have hypothyroidism. I've been on Synthroid for 5 years now, and I'm on a pretty high dose. I've only gained weight. The only reason I was banded was because of the weight I gained because of my thyroid.

You need to make sure you take your meds first thing in the morning, and don't eat for at least 30 minutes after you take it. Also, stay away from soy, it doesn't help your thyroid, it works against it.

thank u for telling me about the soy!!!!!!!!!!!!! i eat it sometimes...i'm 11 pounds away from goal...i do not want to go under 160...i just got my prescription filled...is the medication going to cause me to lose weight?????

I had thyroid cancer and have NO thyroid and had 3 para thyroids taken at the same time.

I am on Levothyroxine 400mcg a day- It was a CONSTANT struggle to loose weight when 1st diagnosed years ago with thyroid problems- looking back I think if I may have been dx as a teenager things would have been different.

Having a thyroid problem makes it all the more harder to loose weight with or without the band- my endo cautioned me about this way before my band was put in- She said it will help but like everything else not cure....

i hope your doing a lot better lml...i'm sorry to hear u had to go through all that...my concern is losing too much weight...i've been blessed with fast weight loss....i dont want to go under 160...i was concerned with the way my tool and i r working 2-gether along with the mediciation...my weight would go below 160....

i hope your doing a lot better lml...i'm sorry to hear u had to go through all that...my concern is losing too much weight...i've been blessed with fast weight loss....i dont want to go under 160...i was concerned with the way my tool and i r working 2-gether along with the mediciation...my weight would go below 160....

I am good .. thanks- LOL- I'll give you some of mine haha! No seriously congrats on your loss... I firmly beleive that your endocrinologist will know when too much is too much and thyroid vs other medical condition or band related...

I've been on Levothyroxine for several months and according to what I've read it is supposed to help you maintain a healthy weight by replacing the natural hormone your body just isn't producing so unless they put you on way too high of a dose it will only help your body to maintain a healthy weight. Congrats on the quick weight loss I weighed 348 pounds on January 20th this year. By my surgery date on 2/6/09 I had dropped down to 325 as of this morning I weighed 278. I am extremely happy with the result of the band and cannott wait to be so close to my goal (180) Good luck witht he thyroid!!

Hello. I have Hypothyroidism as well. Am on Synthroid 100mcg per day. People are correct when they post to take first thing in the am and on an empty stomach. You will also want to ensure that you are taking in adequate liquids. When I started on Synthroid 4 years agao, I could feel a big difference in my energy level. Prior to the Synthroid I was very tired all the time. It took about 3 months to feel the good effects of the Synthroid. Good luck on your Weight loss Journey. Heather

Synthroid typically can make you lose weight, if infact your weight gain is because of hypothyroidism. There is a margain of TSH levels that you should be between. If you fear losing weight you can always ask your Endocrinologist or PCP to make sure your TSH levels are on the high end of normal. That way they don't get on the low end and you go into hyperthyroidism, which can cause increase in weight loss on just about anybody.

There are actually some doctors that prescribe thyroid stimulating medications to people with normal TSH (thyroid hormone) to cause them to go into Hyperthyroidism and loose weight. I don't agree with it, but it's not unheard of.

Oh, and make sure you're getting your TSH checked every 3-5 months to check your levels and see if your meds need adjusting. Good luck!

I've been on synthroid for hypothyroidism for 27 years and it has never helped me to lose weight. In fact, I was losing weight before I was diagnosed and quickly gained 14 pounds when I started on synthroid. Your doctor will make sure that you aren't on a dose that is too high because it will affect your heart negatively and you wouldn't want that. So, you don't have to fear losing too much weight.

do any of my fellow bandsters have an under active thyroid???? i had blood work done again and found out yesterday that i have an under active thyroid...she prescribed thyroid medicine and said it should help me to lose more weight....

Looks like you've done pretty darn good with that under active thyroid!!

I have a hypothyroid as well. I was gaining weight fast & thought something was seriously wrong. I gained 34 lbs in one month!!!! I went to my doctor & he did blood tests & found that I had a hypo thyroid. Thats when the lapband surgery was suggested to me. Im on Synthroid & I don't take my medicine although I should be. So, in the last month I told myself that I needed to start taking my meds because I noticed that I have been very tired and feeling really slow. Since I started taking my thyroid meds again I notice that my weight is coming off faster now. So, its actually helping with my weight loss. Good luck to you honey!