Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had a difficult past couple of weeks and I've been really down. I lost my job (laid off) several weeks ago and took a different job that cut my pay in less than half of what I was making before. I've went thru any excess money I had, and live paycheck to paycheck as a single mom. I'm kicking myself that I didn't build up a bigger savings account in case this happened. Being broke just sucks. Plus, it reminds me that I'm lonely. I'm tired of being single and having no help, either financially or around the house. And I can't afford to pay anyone to help me with the yard anymore, so my weeds don't make this any easier. I can't even take my kids out for ice cream if it isn't payday.

So now, part of me wishes I hadn't been banded because then I would still have the money from that to get me through this time. Then again, another part of me is glad I did it, because I might not have ever gotten another opportunity.

And I'm finding that in this depressed state, being banded is so hard. It's harder to stick to my Protein intake and not eat junk that goes down easy. I guess I'm still an emotional eater, with or without the band.

If you pray, please say a quick one for me right now that God will get me thru this sooner than later.

Anyone else find it harder to stick to the plan when times get rough?

I lost the 75% of my income just last week, I hear you!

I am self employed so I cannot collect a dime ! So frustrating!

I know in CA that if something like that happens where you get a reduction of hours you can collect some unemployment benefits to help off set the difference. check with your state unemployment office and see if they can help you. I hope they can... hang in there.

{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

There are just so many "what if's" in life. You're getting hit with this crap is just one of those things that test us all. It's losing a job for you, losing a parent for someone else.

As hard as it's going to be, try hard to think of things in the long term.

Your health will be better, they say you can't put a price on that--but you really can. No heart medicine, no asthma or diabetes medicine, fewer sick days.

If your kids are old enough, you're teaching them perseverance and responsibility.

I may come off sounding like "up by your bootstraps" but that's not where I'm coming from.

I don't have kids, and cannot imagine the fright you must've gone thru with losing your job and thinking "it's not just me in this"

I hate yardwork and consider the guy that does my lawn a necessity, not a luxury! I get it!

I'm an all the time eater--mostly boredom. Don't keep the crap in the house. try and buy treats for the kids that they like that you don't.

I don't know you from Adam--stranger on the internets! if you are anything like people I do know in real life, you have been through worse and possibly will again in the future. Try to be strong.I guess now is the time to try & be creative. Make your "treats" non-food. A magazine, rent a video for you, (not the kids) really nice socks.

Be strong

always easier said then done, I know:Dancing_wub:

that odd dancing thing just makes me chuckle.

Sorry to hear that things are so tough for you at the moment. What I find with life is that bad things happen in a run and then things get better.

e.g a number of years ago I became a single Mum , moved into a new home with my daughter, got broken into with lot's of irreplaceable stuff stolen, had all the washing stolen of my line and had a brick thrown through my car window whilst I was in it and my bag stolen all within the space of a month!

When its happening to you it feels as though your luck is never going to change but it does. When things are so bad it can only get better.

I am sure being banded is hard (I'm not there yet) but its done and the money can't be unspent. I am sure you know that deep down it was the right thing for you to do as no-one goes into it without lots of thought.Remember that eating doesn't make you feel better for long - the satisfaction is fleeting and then you feel bad for having eaten so much!

As to the financial problems they are hard. Is there something you could do like a skills swap. e.g maybe you could do someones ironing(or whatever you are good at and enjoy) in exchange for them doing your yard.Or maybe you could get your kids to help. I don't know how old they are but a task is always easier when shared plus you could make a bit of a game of it and you'll be spending time together.

Hope things start getting better soon.

I am sorry for your struggles sweetie. I am a mother of two, but am fortunate enough to have a wonderful husband. I have thought many times about how it would be to be a single mom and struggle with my little ones alone. I have the up most respect and love for all single parents. I was raised by a single father, and there was six of us. He is amazing and eventually found the right woman when we were nearly grown.

I know how hard it is taking a cut in pay with this economy. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat. I started offering day care services and house cleaning during my off days. I also began taking care of an elderly lady in the neigborhood on the weekends. It brings in supplemental pay and makes up for what I lost.

Is there any teenagers in the neighborhood who could do your yard and you could tutor them in school? That's what my brothers all did when they were teens. If your kids are old enough to do it, I think it's a good lesson in life.

As for the band, I think you made the right decision. At the time it was what you needed, now looking back I am sure you can think of a million others things you could have spent that money on.

You sound like a strong woman and that is exactly what your children need to see. Good luck and if you need to vent, please just send me a PM.

I'm sorry you're going through this - it's stress that you don't need while you're recovering. I completely understand the paycheck to paycheck, we've been doing that for awhile because of a combination of factors(my husband and I are both lucky enough to have our jobs though) and it starts to wear on you. I keep thinking this is a bad time to have surgery having to but special food and the medical bills, but I know that is an excuse for me.

Anyway, there are a lot of us that understand - keep your head up and let us know if you need support.