Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really need advice on a very tight band...

Hi Everyone!

I got a fill last Friday because although my restriction was good in the am, by night I was eating way to much and not feeling satisfied. I went in for 1/2cc fill. She told me when she was done that my band was documented as have 5 cc in it, but she found 6, so now I have 6 1/2 in a 10cc band.

Well, it as been a week, and I am still not able to keep down solids. Right now I am drinking Protein Shake, and it is so tight, it burns. What is going on? What happens if I call the center andtell them this? Will they take it all out? I don't want that. I would rather have pain and throw up!!! If I wait it out, will it get better? Can't they just take out the 1/2 cc they put in? Honestly, I think SHE put in too much.

Please advise me!!!

If you catch it before it hurts you, she can just do a small unfill. If you let it go on too long (GERD, reflux, dehydration, malnutrition etc) she'll probably think medically she should remove more. You're in pain for goodness sake! Call and get some taken out.

It was the pain that prompted me to go for an adjustment to remove the fill- all of it. I had been too tight for 8 months...

lost alot of weight, for sure

could eat anything because I knew it wouldn't stay down

but after fainting and the pain- I was on the verge of "failure to thrive" the medical cause of death so be careful.

why risk it? If you are to tight you can risk getting erosion. You might be right maybe she put a little to much in. I would ask for a small amount to be taken out.

Hi, a month ago I got a fill .8cc and it made my band too tight. Solids did not go down any longer. I thought at first it may ease up. It did not. I got a .6 unfill today everything it working great now. No more throwing up and being stuck. Don't wait get your fill adjusted. You will actually do better with your weight loss when you can eat solid Proteins. Hope this helps. p.s. I feel so much happier now. Denise

They typically ONLY take out the entire fill for a few reasons: 1) if you go to the emergency room where they're not equipped or skilled as your surgeon. 2) if you had a prolapse or a symptoms of a slipped band. 3) if you have an illness that includes vomiting. Your surgeon will take out a small amount of your fill or even the entire last fill......but you may need that. Your stoma could be very swollen from irritation and may need to heal for a few days. Either way, call your doctor. I was in the same situation for only 4 miserable days, but couldn't even keep liquids down. Sure, I lost 7 pounds, but I couldn't sleep or even lie down as I had reflux when I did. It only gets worse when you menstruate......go back, have some taken out and put your health as a priority. The band is supposed to ease hunger, not control your eating! When used properly, it can be an amazing tool. Good luck, but definitely get a slight un-fill.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. Ironically last night, I asked my hubby to bring me home some beef jerkey, just to try it. I went down with NO PAIN. I could also eat chips with no pain. I seems to be slimey stuff that is getting me. What is up with that?

I am still going to go in and have them take out a little of what was put in. I think it is hard to judge, because I think some stays in the tube, and some are better about pushing all that Fluid into the band.

I wouldn't go in if I didn't have such bad heartbun, but I don't want to hurt the band. You are all wonderful! Thanks again.

I realize you're relatively new at this, but are you kidding me?! (Teasing, but only a little here...) Beef Jerky and chips? ! You may consider that you do better with foods that require chewing and start to re-integrate those into your diet. However, you've also mentioned two foods that require a lot of chewing and, at least with chips, aren't hard to eat in smaller amounts---they're already somewhat small to begin with. It's possible that you're not being careful with how well you chew or the size of the bites you're taking. Whenever I'm tighter, I'm forced to remember all that my surgeon told me regarding the size of bites, chewing properly and eating slowly. Do yourself a favor, though, and stay away from the junk. Set yourself up for success. Doing what you've always done in the past will get you what you've always gotten......stay true to yourself and this surgery. I know it's not easy, but relying on eating crap won't help you get healthy. :wink2:

Hurrah for deflation! My band was too tight for several weeks-couldn't eat solids, couldn't drink my coffee, even-and had heartburn at night. I was losing well so I put it off and was miserable. Finally, I went in and had a little saline taken out and I am fine and still losing weight. Lesson learned.

I do not eat potato chips. Too much sodium for me and the chips just don't like to go down well.

I do eat tortilla chips loaded with salsa. I try to limit the actual number so as to keep the sodium and the fat down but I eat all the salsa I want. We make our own and omit the salt.

I usually have trouble with my band for about the first ten days after a fill. I have to be careful every time. After that, it seems to get looser and I adjust pretty well.

I go in tomorrow for a small fill and will be back in the rough zone again.

Hurrah for deflation! My band was too tight for several weeks-couldn't eat solids, couldn't drink my coffee, even-and had heartburn at night. I was losing well so I put it off and was miserable. Finally, I went in and had a little saline taken out and I am fine and still losing weight. Lesson learned.

Same here, I moved from a 3.0cc to 4.5cc on 5/13. Over half of my meals would not stay down, and when I could keep it down I could only manage about 3-4 bites before maxing out. On 5/22 I had an unfill under fluoroscope back down to 3.7cc and I feel great. I have not had a PB since the unfill and am still only able to eat ¾ - 1 cup of food and am still losing .2 to .6 pounds a day. The doctor said being overfilled is a recipe for a slipped band, so be careful.