Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 months in and NOW I can not eat ...

I am 8 months post band. I have hit and passed my target already. Not to happy with the time-frame. The last 25 pounds have been because I can not eat.

I have had an extreme amount of pain, heartburn and vomiting ... basically the same as you all. I have not been diagnosed with anything, I still have my galblatter. I had all the Fluid removed about 3 weeks ago. The heartburn disappeared immediately and so did the pain. I ate gently for the next week or so - stage 1 eating. I can not get back to solid food. Nothing near to what I was eating even 4 weeks ago.

Everything I chew I must vomit. 36 hrs ago I had an upper GI and I could see that only a trickle of fluid was getting thru. At least everything looked like it was in the right place ... the band and my tummy parts.

The past 3 days have been fine ... no pain and no vomiting but then the only thing I've chewed was gum (no solid food),

I have not spoken with my surgeon yet, but am concerned that I can only digest broth and clear fluids. The most I can keep down is yogurt, pudding or ice cream.

I looked at the 5 day pouch diet but I am concerned even about the solid food on that diet. I am at a loss for what to do.

The nurse at the LB just keeps telling me to chew my food. {really} I feel like I have some kind of virus or swelling. I just dont know where to turn or how to find relief.

I guess it's back to broth ... but will I ever get back to normal?? Advice anyone ...

Ian

It took a total unfill and two weeks of liquids for my swelling to go down. You might just need to give yourself more time to heal...

Britt

Oh wait, I see you have been doing liquids for weeks and you've had a GI. I agree, you should talk to your doctor. I ended up having an endosopy to take a closer look at what was going on inside. Is that an option for you? I think it would be good to get some medical help to figure out what to do...

Britt

see your surgeon immediately. I had pb for months and it is a slipped band. I cannot eat solid foods, Soups for me. I saw my dr today and he needs to consult with another one, likely mine will need to be removed. I am so frusrtaed, but I cant keep vomitting.

Mom2two-

Do you actually vomit or is it PB? Just curious - these type of complications are what scares me the most.

I only PB if I eat too fast, too big of bites, or don't chew well. I'm guessing yours was much more severe than this??

bypass that nurse and demand to see your surgeon. I had a paeriod similar to what you are experiencing and as like you I had to go back to the basics with the clear broths etc.. it took about three weeks until things calmed down. once you get inflamed it stinks... but with everything you have going on you definately should see the surgeon. hope things get better janice

PB, it doesnt go all the way down. I PB everthing I eat

like it was said before, you should see your surgeon, and I mean right away! I know my surgeon will have you in there in a quick minute if he knew these symptoms, so demand it. Good luck to you, and keep us updated.

there is a name for this...malnutritional consumption disorder???? i dont remember....someone please correct me. my surgeon says im doing it. its when you only eat "easy food" yougurt, ice cream pudding ect....due to pain.

I was like this last year...my barium swallow showed all was well with my band...but it wasn't and I knew there was something wrong but my surgeon didn't believe me. He refused to take all my fill out like I requested and left me 5ml in (I have an 11ml capacity band) and then in May I threw up that much blood I have to have a transfusion...nearly died.....it was only when they put a camera down my throat that they realised the band had eroded into my stomach (have seen the photos)....so now face removal. The barium swallow does not show this so insist on further tests and get this sorted please.

Iamian, Just curious to how you have made out since this posting? Please Please get this attended to NOW! I had similar symptoms as you ( and Linds) and had to be rushed in for emergency surgery to have the band removed. Thank God they caught it before erosion but I was full of Fluid, my surrounding organs were inflamed, etc. My band did not slip and the barium swallow was fine. I was unfilled and only a bit of relief for a day or so then it got worse. Every time I tried to swallow anything, even liquids I had pain. My main complaints were pain in the left side under my rib area and after I swallowed, the pain was in my sternum area. Please do not ignore this, it may not be what I had but it does indicate a problem. Good Luck

Vee

I have had 5 fills since 05/09 surgery. Last 2 fills on the scope contrast drink goes down great, slows at band goes into belly in a thin stream. TEXTBOOK adjustment right? WRONG Put solid food in there and I can eat like a shark. Little to no fullness 95% of the time. I am at

10.5 cc's on a 14cc band. Dr. thinks I am nuts