Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do ppl need to be aware that we are banded in case of emergencies?

I noticed when purchasing a medic alert Bracelet for my daughter who suffers from Asthma that you can have 'Lapband /no NG tube without scope" or "Gastric By pass/no NG tube with out Scope" engraved into a medic alert bracelet. Is it necessary?

Has anyone come across a medical situation where the EMS needs to be aware of our Bands? Very curious as to what do you's think?

Shell

I havent heard of it. But it doesnt sound like a bad idea... I'll have to ask my doc....

Thanks...

I wear one "just in case". My doctor never said anything about it, but if it can keep someone from causing me stomach problems or causing problems with my band, it's worth it.

I found some great ID bracelets at www.laurenshope.com. I ended up finding a gold Bracelet there and then bought a gold charm from another place so it would not "look" like medical ID jewelry.

It is a personal decision, apparently some physicians recommend them and some don't mention it. :cursing:

I asked my doc at my last appt and he didn't feel there was a need for one so guess I'll save the money.

I was told I had to have one. The EMT's need to know that you have a band, because if they insert a nasogastric tube into your body to administer meds or something like that without knowing it could puncture your stomach pouch and cause some major problems.

In fact the back of my Bracelet reads: Gastric Lap-Band w/ abdominal mediport no ng w/o scope.

My advice is to get one even if your doctor tells you you don't need it, just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Edited by TheB

I got one from Fashionable Medical Identification Jewelry & Medical ID Bracelets

The way I see it it doesn't hurt to have it.

One quick look at my wrist and they know my medical issues. Time is of the essence in an energency.

I bought one just in case. I have noticed it has come in handy eating out, get discounts, and i have my dr names and number on mine and i have needed his number a few times.....they arent too expensive....

I'm not in the medical field but if I am so bad that I need a tube down my throat then the last thing I want them to worry about is my band and I never really understood the reason for the lapband cards, I figure it was my choice to eat out, why take money out of a restaurants pocket... Again just my opinion, if it works for you great.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday.

jujuvee, it's not the bands integrity that they are worried about, it's puncturing your stomach. I've always been permitted to order off the kids menu so never needed the card that the surgeon provided me.

That said, I don't have a medical ID but I've often thought of getting one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches