Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision after Band Removal

I have got to have my band removed as it has seriously eroded. I have asked my surgeon about a revision and he says he might be able to do one to RNY or a Sleeve. Not knowing much about the Sleeve, I thought I had better look it up.

I am amazed how many people on this site alone have revision to a Sleeve....something which still gives them no malabsorption. I have been dieting and struggling for 6 years with the band and now will put on even more weight waiting for the revised surgery....and the thought of restrictive only procedure just terrifies me....what if I fail this too. I would much prefer the RNY....but I look at alot of my fellow former bandsters and you all go for the Sleeve. Please explain this to me as I feel I am missing something.

I know the Sleeve can be added on later to a DS but that is after weight loss stops (i.e. the initial bulk that we lose)....well I have done that and I cannot stand the thought of doing this and not losing anything.

Sorry but I am so confused (and in a morphine haze) so please forgive me....I just want it all explained to me.....Does the sleeve work and is it as hard work as the band (6 years seemed like a lifetime)

Look up Wasabubblebutt, she has a lot of good info on getting the sleeve after band removal.

I have got to have my band removed as it has seriously eroded. I have asked my surgeon about a revision and he says he might be able to do one to RNY or a Sleeve. Not knowing much about the Sleeve, I thought I had better look it up.

I am amazed how many people on this site alone have revision to a Sleeve....something which still gives them no malabsorption. I have been dieting and struggling for 6 years with the band and now will put on even more weight waiting for the revised surgery....and the thought of restrictive only procedure just terrifies me....what if I fail this too. I would much prefer the RNY....but I look at alot of my fellow former bandsters and you all go for the Sleeve. Please explain this to me as I feel I am missing something.

I know the Sleeve can be added on later to a DS but that is after weight loss stops (i.e. the initial bulk that we lose)....well I have done that and I cannot stand the thought of doing this and not losing anything.

Sorry but I am so confused (and in a morphine haze) so please forgive me....I just want it all explained to me.....Does the sleeve work and is it as hard work as the band (6 years seemed like a lifetime)

Hi,

You make a good point about the sleeve. Sorry you're in so much pain from your lap band erosion and complications. I did not do well myself with the band and since it's removal am switching now to RNY. I feel I need the malabsorption also and since I could not lose with the band have more confidence with RNY, also my daughter had it done a year ago and has been very successful so far with RNY. Good luck to you with your complications and eventual revision, Nancy.

Hey Linds, I hate to hear you are having troubles, but hopefully the morphine helps!

I did a lot of research on the sleeve before I had the band. Here in the states insurance does not pay for it and honestly that is the only reason I did not have it.

The sleeve drasticly reduces the size of the stomach but does not re route the intestines so you can still have an EGD if you need to and you never need a fill :rolleyes2:.

It is used also as a first step in the very very morbidly obese for those patients that can not stand the rigors of a full RNY. It's actual name is called vertical sleeve gastrectomy if you want to search on that you will find lots of things to read as you get better.

Good luck to you!

If you have been struggling for 6 years banded and still are not at goal I think the sleeve is not for you. You might need just a bit more than the sleeve can offer. The sleeve is restrictive only like the band.

I'm not fond of RNY, the stats are not great at all. People don't really understand how it works, they don't realize you only malabsorb for 6-18 months. If you can't change your eating habits now, how will you do it when you quit malabsorbing? One in five fail with bypass and I think that is why.

You could get a sleeve and if that doesn't work (and I don't think it will) then you could finish and get DS. But if I were you I'd just shoot for DS now.

Please keep one issue in mind. No surgery type fixes white carbs. If you eat a lot of white carbs there is no surgery type that will help you lose to goal and maintain it. White carbs are what got us fat to begin with. We all have to cut wayyyy back to lose and maintain. But DS has MUCH better long term stats than RNY.

Ok, I am a teacher and I know alot about acroynyms. Please refresh my memory about the ones you have been talking about. (I am sure I am having a duh moment)

RNY

EGD

DS

I know LB is lap band imagine that!

Since my band came out a week ago today I have lost 5lbs. That is more than I lost in one week with a band in. However, I am so scared to be able to eat again. I think it was harder to have the band removed that placed in. Do others feel that way?

Cyndi

Ok, I am a teacher and I know alot about acroynyms. Please refresh my memory about the ones you have been talking about. (I am sure I am having a duh moment)

RNY

EGD

DS

I know LB is lap band imagine that!

Since my band came out a week ago today I have lost 5lbs. That is more than I lost in one week with a band in. However, I am so scared to be able to eat again. I think it was harder to have the band removed that placed in. Do others feel that way?

Cyndi

Cyndi,

RNY is the Roux-en-Y or gastric bypass which is what I am having on 6/11.

EGD is esophagogstroduodenoscopy

DS is the duodenal switch

I was able to lose a bit after my band was removed because I could make better food choices but then the hunger returned with the return of the larger stomach. You'll come to terms with what you want to do eventually give yourself some time to make the right decision and to heal. Good luck Nancy.

Thanks for all your replies. I have had an indepth discussion with my surgeon and expressed my concerns about having a restriction only sleeve so we have opted for RNY as I will always have the malabsorption to help me lose the weight as long as I don't over-eat and stretch the pouch. (that's right apparently the malabsoprtion doesn't go as the bowel doesn't alter...it's just that when we get nearer our goal, we eat the wrong things, more of it and stretch our pouches so the weight can go back on...nothing to do with there not being any malabsoption)

I will hopefully have the revision done at the same time as my band is removed on the 16th June...depending on how my stomach is...if however, some healing time is needed, I will have to wait a couple of months and return to have the revision part done. I just want theband out now as it really is uncomfortable and alien to me.

Good luck to you Linds,

I'm having my RNY on the 11th, my daughter had it a year ago and has already lost close to 150lbs. I'm sure it's going to be much different than the band and will be a learning experience for us both, good luck, Nancy.:blushing:

Good luck to you too Nancy...my hubby had his RNY 2 years ago and has never looked back....he has his Tummy Tuck in a few weeks to finish off what he calls the Brad Pitt look (don't I wish)