Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello from Tennessee! Help!

hello everyone,

im really excited about getting the lapband. Im just not sure where to start. I went to my doctor and asked him for him, he stated he thought WLS was "stupid" he let me know, he lost his weight on the southbeach diet, i was po'd! Ive tried the southbeach diet that doesnt work for me,, ive tried so many times, so many different diets ive tried. Anyways i changed doctors just because of that comment. I found a doctor i asked him for help he said he'd help me!!! im so excited. He said bring me the information and ill help you with your 6months diet term.. Im just not sure what i need. What do i need to do when getting started? I went to the seminar in Nashville which is about a 2 hour drive. Do i need to do my 6month diet first or do i need to schudule an appointment with the doctor that is going to do the surgery. Im confused on what to do but i want to get started right away. Im so excited i cant stand it!

hello everyone,

im really excited about getting the lapband. Im just not sure where to start. I went to my doctor and asked him for him, he stated he thought WLS was "stupid" he let me know, he lost his weight on the southbeach diet, i was po'd! Ive tried the southbeach diet that doesnt work for me,, ive tried so many times, so many different diets ive tried. Anyways i changed doctors just because of that comment. I found a doctor i asked him for help he said he'd help me!!! im so excited. He said bring me the information and ill help you with your 6months diet term.. Im just not sure what i need. What do i need to do when getting started? I went to the seminar in Nashville which is about a 2 hour drive. Do i need to do my 6month diet first or do i need to schudule an appointment with the doctor that is going to do the surgery. Im confused on what to do but i want to get started right away. Im so excited i cant stand it!

I am so happy that you found another doctor!! That is exactly what I was going to tell you to do when I started reading your post!! You may want to go ahead and call and talk to the surgeons office. Different surgeons and different insurance companies require different things. I was able to do most of my six month thing with my doctor before seeing the surgeon, beacuse we were already working really hard on the weight issue before I finally gave in and said I was ready to go this path. I just got insurance approval after fighting with them for a year, and I hope to get a surgery date soon. I hope your process goes quick and easy!

Your insurance company will be the most helpful to you regarding their requirements. Each insurance company is different, and that will determine what you need to do. I did not have to start from ground zero for the diet - my doctor used my records from the past 17 years as proof.

My insurance company required an upper GI, bloodwork, a visit with a nutritionist, psychiatrist, endocrinologist and a few others I don't recall. Overall it has taken me about 5 months and my surgery is next week.

It did take a little longer for me because I had one surgeon last fall that was AWFUL so I left him & found another, so that made me lose about 2-3 months. The first doctor said he would not require a liquid diet before the surgery, my current doctor is requiring it, so I'm going through that stage right now. It does get easier.

Good luck to you!

I am from Nashville too, so my first step was going to my surgeon. Dr. Morton at Baptist is one of the best in the area and he has an insurance team that walks you through everything!! I went to a free insurance consult with a girl named Ebony in their office. It was quick and she explained everything I needed to do and she took it all out of my hands. I was approved within a week and my surgery was about a month and a half later.

Everywhere is different, but it is worth calling his team to find out if you like them.

Your insurance company will be the most helpful to you regarding their requirements. Each insurance company is different, and that will determine what you need to do. I did not have to start from ground zero for the diet - my doctor used my records from the past 17 years as proof.

My insurance company required an upper GI, bloodwork, a visit with a nutritionist, psychiatrist, endocrinologist and a few others I don't recall. Overall it has taken me about 5 months and my surgery is next week.

It did take a little longer for me because I had one surgeon last fall that was AWFUL so I left him & found another, so that made me lose about 2-3 months. The first doctor said he would not require a liquid diet before the surgery, my current doctor is requiring it, so I'm going through that stage right now. It does get easier.

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you! Ive done so much reading on here regarding the surgery and life after the lapband. Im so ready for it. keep me updated, after your surgery let me know how you are doing! im excited for you also!!

I am so happy that you found another doctor!! That is exactly what I was going to tell you to do when I started reading your post!! You may want to go ahead and call and talk to the surgeons office. Different surgeons and different insurance companies require different things. I was able to do most of my six month thing with my doctor before seeing the surgeon, beacuse we were already working really hard on the weight issue before I finally gave in and said I was ready to go this path. I just got insurance approval after fighting with them for a year, and I hope to get a surgery date soon. I hope your process goes quick and easy!

Thats great you finally got your insurance approval. Man i hope and pray i dont end up having to fight with the insurance company for a year! Good Luck to you also!

I am from Nashville too, so my first step was going to my surgeon. Dr. Morton at Baptist is one of the best in the area and he has an insurance team that walks you through everything!! I went to a free insurance consult with a girl named Ebony in their office. It was quick and she explained everything I needed to do and she took it all out of my hands. I was approved within a week and my surgery was about a month and a half later.

Everywhere is different, but it is worth calling his team to find out if you like them.

Whoa thats fast, I have Cigna insurance i hope its that easy with me but from my understanding ill have to do the 6month dieting. Have you or anyone heard about Dr Dyer? Ive heard he's really good, but i dont know him personal so im still shopping for a surgeon

I also live in TN, and am going to go through Dr. Sass in Chattanooga. I also have Cigna Point of Service. Right now, I'm in the 6 month diet and monitoring phase. I scheduled a consultation with Dr. Sass about a month ago to get a feeling for him and what his requirements were. I know who when to call him back, what all he needs done, etc..