Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I was referred to this site by a teacher who had her surgery a year ago. I am scheduled for my consult on May 6th, but reading all the posting on this site am confused if this is worth it!

Seems like there is a lot of problems with having this procedure of not being able to go out and eat and drinking any kind of liquids without coming back up.

I'm really thinking about cancelling my appointment, please give me some feedback

Oh Yes, yes, yes, it's worth it. The best thing I have ever done. I have finally hit my sweet spot and great restriction so my plateau is over. Back losing about 3 lbs. a week.

I think despite the posts that are negative 99% of the people here would do it again. I know I would in a heartbeat. I do miss eating the things I loved but then I can have one bite and be satisfied now.

Good luck and please read all the good things about Lap Band surgery. It's worth it believe me.

Remember that you are hearing from a small percentage of the people who have had this procedure. People who have had problems stand out because it's a little scary. But most of us who've had the surgery have had not one problem at all. The only problem I've had was I've PB'd once ... and that was distinctly my fault for eating waaaayyy too fast and not chewing well as a result. I had absolutely no reason to take any pain or nausea medicine post-op, had surgery on Tuesday and back to work on Friday.

There are thousands of people like me who have never been on one of these forums. They are simply living their life and enjoying the changs. Many people find these forums because (1) they are considering the surgery and just want to hear what others have to say, (2) they've had the surgery and are in the early stages of recovery and are worried to death about every little thing, or (3) a small percentage have had problems and they want to find some reassurance that they are not alone.

Foods you MAY not be able to eat would include soft bread (a real problem for me, but I never was a sandwich eater so that's no loss at all), flour tortillas (okay for me but not everybody), white rice (again, no problem for me but not everybody), "stringy" vegetables. Now, think about it.

How many times have you tried to lose weight and either failed altogether or lost and then gained it back with a few extra pounds for good measure? How many times have you said you were going to lose weight and never quite got started? How uncomfortable are you with your present weight? And what if it increases?

I know what my answers are, and they were all negative.

The band has given me positive answers. Yeah, you still have to make good eating choices, it most certainly isn't a magic switch that makes the pounds fall off no matter what, and you may have little things like a PB now and then. For me, that was more than a fair exchange for what I have. I've lost 53 pounds (need to update my ticker, but I'll get around to that eventually) and I haven't looked back. I gave away all the size 3X stuff I owned and am close to giving away all the 2x stuff. I have never given away clothes when I dieted. But this time I BELIEVE 100% that I will not gain the weight back.

It has only been about seven months for me, but I love my band. I would do it again in a heart beat. The rules that you have to follow are not really rules, but a new way of eating. Everyone is different and can eat different things. You will love it if you remember that it is only a tool and you are going to have to work to use it. Good luck.

It so nice to hear that there are people who are happy with the Lap Band.

i had the mindset that just about anything...throwing up ...scars...not being able to over eat...having to exercise and eating right was better than wearing a size 26...and weighting close to 300 pounds....i would much rather have a scar...occassionally pb...exercise...eat healthier and sport my size 12's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it feels better than any piece of cake...cookie...or candy....words cant explain how happy i am to have this tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your comments. I feel much better now.

i love my band. i would certinly do it all over again. don't worry about pb'ing. it's not as bad as it sounds. i just lean over and out comes the stuck food. no effort needed and it's not like it is a regular occurance.

I think to cancel the appointment is a disservice to yourself. Why not at least research it - if you make the call that its not for you after the fact that's fine, at least its an informed decision.

Now - I am one of those rare people (1 in 1,000) that had to have a port replacement about 5 months after my first surgery. This meant 2 additional surgeries. AND I would still do it again in a minute!

Its not a miracle cure but I feel it levels the genetic playing field. If you are willing to commit and make changes, the band can help change your live.

Remember that in customer service you hear 1,000 complaints for every 1 Thank you -great job. I think the same holds true here. The unhappy are vocal, while the happy go on about their lives.