Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, I do as a matter of fact. But, I also don't think invasive is really a good argument on its own.

You see, if she is using that one point to argue with doctors who know all of the stats and complication rates, and taken in balance and side by side, they don't think the band being less invasive is worth the trouble. I agree, it just isn't a good enough reason all by itself, but the other reasons are good enough in my opinion.

I would never get the GB, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, so along came the lapband. When in reality, maybe the best solution is neither.

I also spoke about not wanting to have my physiology permanently altered -- to which the doc said both surgeries are permanent. I also spoke about having seen multiple examples of both surgeries in my personal life, and it seemed to me that the LB examples had better outcomes. The doc's response to that (paraphrasing here) was that his experience and that of his colleagues w/ thousands of people was more relevant/reliable than my personal experience.

So in my own mind, my the reasons for my choice are solid, I guess maybe I have not articulated them well. That's what I meant when I asked if anyone might have some ideas for "talking points" that might be more articulate than what I have expressed.

I think the doctor don't understand your needs and not very supportive I believe it's better for u to find a new surgeon

TY Karen. I am not unhappy with the surgeon. I live in Maine. I am 15 min from the Lewiston/Auburn Area, where my surgeon practices. I work in an office that is a 5 min walk to the hospital. The only other Surgeons I know of in this area are in Portland and Augusta -- both of which are about an hour away from where I live.

So, this is just really a minor irritation and might even be something I am being too sensitive about. I was just interested in finding out if any others ever had this feeling and how they dealt with it --- either within themselves or with their health care provider.

I do appreciate and respect all of the input :ohmy:

My surgeon, Dr. Malley in Kansas City, gave statistics during the seminar. You do lose more weight in a shorter amount of time with gastric bypass, but by the 3 year mark weight loss is about even with the lap band and gastric bypass. He also said that with the new types of bands out that eventually the lap band might exceed what gastric bypass can do in the long run.

I choose the lap band because I wanted the procedure to be as least invasive as possible. I didn't want to reroute anything in my body. I wanted a tool to help me learn to control how much I eat at one sitting. I like the idea that I can still eat whatever I want, even if I choose not too. To me this means when I really really want some ice cream, I can have some. I just can't have the 4 huge scoops I used to.

Each person has to make the right decision for themselves. The most we can do is tell them why we made the decision we did, and go from there. Everybody is different, so I don't expect any two stories to be identical.

I think that's a flawed argument. Comparing cars to potentially life saving, and definitely life-changing surgery. Sure in the literal term it might hold Water, but let's look at the real picture. Its more like comparing oral to IV treatments. One might be more comfortable with one over the other

Ok, I like your analogy.

So if you were told you had two options, wouldn't you be irritated if later you found out you had a third option.

My god, this is exactly what a lot of these surgeons want. They want you to become fixated with deciding among two options, and either one of which they win, but not discuss the third option that they don't even provide.

That may or may not be the case here, but I suspect it is.

And the simple statistical FACT remains that 10% more patients have complications by Bypass compared to the 1% with the Lap Band. Bypass complications include malnutrition (results from the bypass part of the deal) and death. I was assured that the risk of death was so minimal with Lap Band but they flat cannot say that with Bypass. And I consider it an extremely radical approach to rearrange someone's insides. So there was no question for me that bypass WASN'T for me. If you feel overly pressured by this doctor, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR. My surgeon does lap band and gastric bypass. And he told me in my consultation that if he trulyl thought bypass was better for a specific patient, he would tell them

Quote "To me this means when I really really want some ice cream, I can have some. I just can't have the 4 huge scoops I used to. "

Oh my god. That is a great argument for gastric sleeve, but a horrible reason for band. You can eat ice cream all day long continuously with a band. It doesn't stop you at all. The problem with the band is not only do you have restriction, but you also get food intolerance. You flat out can't eat some things because they get stuck. I can't eat any left over meat for example.

In the future, I am going to post to any newbie, that they should research carefully, the differences between, band, sleeve, and bypass. And make there choice. That is all I will post. It isn't worth my time, to correct every wrong statement, or misconception being put out.

The latest data, is showing about 25% of Banded people will have complications within the first 5 years.....not 1%, your mixing statistical data and types.

Ok, I like your analogy.

So if you were told you had two options, wouldn't you be irritated if later you found out you had a third option.

My god, this is exactly what a lot of these surgeons want. They want you to become fixated with deciding among two options, and either one of which they win, but not discuss the third option that they don't even provide.

That may or may not be the case here, but I suspect it is.

Very possibly. I'm pretty fortunate in that respect with my surgeon - they said these are ALL the procedures that are FDA approved. These are ALL the procedures we do. If we don't do it and you want it, go somewhere else. They were pretty upfront about it.

However, I also believe in being your own advocate. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! Ask questions! :ohmy:

Quote "To me this means when I really really want some ice cream, I can have some. I just can't have the 4 huge scoops I used to. "

Oh my god. That is a great argument for gastric sleeve, but a horrible reason for band. You can eat ice cream all day long continuously with a band. It doesn't stop you at all. The problem with the band is not only do you have restriction, but you also get food intolerance. You flat out can't eat some things because they get stuck. I can't eat any left over meat for example.

In the future, I am going to post to any newbie, that they should research carefully, the differences between, band, sleeve, and bypass. And make there choice. That is all I will post. It isn't worth my time, to correct every wrong statement, or misconception being put out.

I could eat ice cream all day long with the sleeve too. In any surgery, gastric bypass, lap band, or sleeve, it all comes down to the choices we make as individuals, not the surgery we have. One is not any better than the other in terms of the overall population, each has their pros and cons. Which by the way you don't seem to mention the cons of the sleeve or its statistics.

Yes one of the cons of lap band is intolerance of certain foods. I was told I shouldn't have white doughy bread anymore, a travesty in my eyes. jk. What I had to do, and any person for that matter, is decide which is more important to me, white doughy bread or a healthier lifestyle. I'm ok with having to give up certain foods, eating only small quantities, eating healthier.

I'm sure the sleeve is great, but for me it still meant cutting up part of my stomach, not something I wanted done. That "con" was too big for me to overcome.

I think if you want the band and your surgeon prefers bypass you'd be better off to find a new surgeon. Three years out weight loss is similar for each option, or so I've read and been told by MY surgeon. However the band needs maintenance..fills, etc. You want a surgeon who is GOOD at the aftercare and committed to it and to you. If you have one who thinks you "should" do bypass...well...I wouldn't think that type would be in your corner if you get my drift. Find a new surgeon.

I think if you want the band and your surgeon prefers bypass you'd be better off to find a new surgeon. Three years out weight loss is similar for each option, or so I've read and been told by MY surgeon. However the band needs maintenance..fills, etc. You want a surgeon who is GOOD at the aftercare and committed to it and to you. If you have one who thinks you "should" do bypass...well...I wouldn't think that type would be in your corner if you get my drift. Find a new surgeon.

TY restless. I do need to ask some more questions about the aftercare. I have been so focused on the pre-op stuff I have to do. I know a dozen or so people who had the band done up Augusta way, and it seemed like they got approved very fast compared to the process I am going through. One thing I like about this surgeon's practice is the fact that they ARE so thorough before hand. I read here about people who don't seem to even have any idea of what to eat after surgery, whereas with my surgeon's practice you have to get the nutritional part nailed before they will even think about submitting me to the ins. co. Pro and Cons --- all part of life :ohmy: I appreciate having a place like this to "process."

Edited by TSB

Yes I felt the same way as you.. I think the deal is just like some one that sells cars.. if he is a ford dealer he is going to sell you a for and if hes a GM dealer hes going to want you to buy a Gm.. so in the bypass field. I believe that if the Dr likes doing more lb then bypass that is going to be what he wants you to do where as if the dr does more bypass then he will want you to do that. Its not that he doens know how to do the other one he just like to do more then the other. On the flip side of it is the Bypass costs more and ofter because of the rapid weight loss it is more likely that you will have to have skin removed..gall bladder removed and so on.. this bringing them more moeny.. I need to lose at least a 140 and I know the lB if for me. I think after you research it you will come to terms with what is best for you..

My surgeon does both and is bias for the band :ohmy: He was banded himself.

And the simple statistical FACT remains that 10% more patients have complications by Bypass compared to the 1% with the Lap Band. Bypass complications include malnutrition (results from the bypass part of the deal) and death. I was assured that the risk of death was so minimal with Lap Band but they flat cannot say that with Bypass. And I consider it an extremely radical approach to rearrange someone's insides. So there was no question for me that bypass WASN'T for me. If you feel overly pressured by this doctor, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR. My surgeon does lap band and gastric bypass. And he told me in my consultation that if he trulyl thought bypass was better for a specific patient, he would tell them

Cathy...

You continue writing this but you never back it up. It is NOT true that 1% of the banded population has complications. You aren't even close. To continue writing this when the band manufacturers, doctors, and studies prove you wrong is pretty much... dishonest.

Infections are about 2%.

Slips are over 7% now.

Erosion remains the same, 1.3%.

The new stats came out showing that 30-50% of the time within the first five years people will need another surgery to correct something band related. Slips, erosion, port flips, something.

If you have a surgical correction for a slip or have a new band placed your chances for a future slip in the first five years are about 70%.

According to Drs. Husted and Ren the band fails 25% of the time while bypass fails 20% of the time.

So I beg to differ with you, it most certainly is not a statistical "FACT" that bypass has 10x the complications of banding. They both have about the same number of potential complications but in banding the complications are not typically fatal like they can be in bypass.

Please stop telling people complications are 1% with banding, it simply is not true.

Cathy...

You continue writing this but you never back it up. It is NOT true that 1% of the banded population has complications. You aren't even close. To continue writing this when the band manufacturers, doctors, and studies prove you wrong is pretty much... dishonest.

Infections are about 2%.

Slips are over 7% now.

Erosion remains the same, 1.3%.

The new stats came out showing that 30-50% of the time within the first five years people will need another surgery to correct something band related. Slips, erosion, port flips, something.

If you have a surgical correction for a slip or have a new band placed your chances for a future slip in the first five years are about 70%.

According to Drs. Husted and Ren the band fails 25% of the time while bypass fails 20% of the time.

So I beg to differ with you, it most certainly is not a statistical "FACT" that bypass has 10x the complications of banding. They both have about the same number of potential complications but in banding the complications are not typically fatal like they can be in bypass.

Please stop telling people complications are 1% with banding, it simply is not true.

What I was told by someone "in the business" is that the 1% band complication rate is during or immediately after surgery while in recovery. That sounds accurate to me. However, just reading this board, its quite evident that there are far more than 1% complications with bands overall.