Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My theories on how the lap band works for you...

So I have thought about this alot. I have been wondering how the band actually works to help you lose weight. I think the band helps in two ways. The doc builds a pouch that is right above where the band is placed. I assume they do that with stitches or something. That pouch represents 'how much' you can eat at one sitting. I figure that is fairly constant and doesn't change unless the band slips or you stretch it. The other thing that happens is directly controlled by the band. As the band is filled it narrows the passage at the bottom of the pouch. I think the more narrow this passage, the longer it takes for food to digest and pass. What this does is curb hunger and keep you filling satiated longer. I think between those two things, you end up eating less over time and that is what produces the results.

I would like to hear from y'all if you think I am right or otherwise.

The band also causes you to slow down your eating. I used to prefer eating quickly and then having lots of time to eat allot more.

If you do not chew properly then the opening tends to get plug up and then your body creates saliva trying to push it through and if it does not push the food thought then it will come up. You only do it a few times before you start listening to your body.

The other interesting thing that happens is as I get close to being full my nose starts running or I start to hiccup, letting me know that I am close to being full or am full.

Another thing that is helpful to me is to actually put the eating utensil down which helps me to slow down my eating.

Not drinking with my meal help me to stay full longer.

In case good luck with your journey.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches