Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I work for a WLS, but he does not do the lap band nor think very highly of it. He is more about diet and exercise and raising your metabolic rate and eating healthy. Which I understand, and I've attempted with him and it just doesn't work for me.

I am not going to tell him I am getting the Lap band done, more out of fear of his judgement. Nor am I telling anyone I work with. I just don't know how to address the loss of weight with them. They have seen me diet faithfully for months with no results. My husband said I should tell them because he doesn't want them to automatically think drugs or anything like that. Any ideas?

First off, I have been heavy all my life and yes, diet and exercise does make the weight come off, but you still have to watch what you eat and exercise even with the band. So, it really surprises me that, he, being a WLS himself would judge anyone. Especially since this is how he is making his money. I don't have the band yet, but it's looking like sometime in June. But, I think it's entirely up to you on telling him or not. If you aren't comfortable with telling them, then I would just say something like I have decided to take your advice and diet and exercise. It won't be lying, because you will be watching what you eat and you will be exercising.

If you do tell him, then I wouldn't let him make you feel bad for it. For some of us, it takes a little reminder (in my case the band) to help keep us on track.

Good luck to you :cool2:

I guess I just dont understand why a WLS would tell a person not to have WLS???? that makes no sense in agreement with PSJ that is how he is making a living.. If he does not agree with it please let me know his name I want to make sure to tell everyone I know to steer clear of that surgeon as obviously he is in the business for strictly money and not because he has any ability to care or believe his patients have a new chance at a healthier life..I honestly would not even be able to work for a person who seems to have little to no moral values...

I believe lap band has given me a chance to live my life longer and healthier.. It is not a fix all.. it requires a lot of dedication on your part.. some people get the wrong idea about lapband and believe it is just an easy way out... but it is not.. I have had my band for a little over 6 months and have lost 88lbs. and I have worked my butt of to loose those pounds.. we did not become heavy for no reason at .. and just like with out the band there are ways with it to not loose weight and even potentially gain weight..basically you are dieting and exercising just like you would with out the band the only difference here is you have something to help control your hunger.. I love my band and I love my surgeon because when I did not believe I could do this he reminded me WHY I DID .. and he reminded me that I TOO COULD loose weight.. and I am doing it 1 lbs at a time as are many many of folks out there.. so best wishes to you and I hope you will be up front and honest with everyone you encounter.. this journey is nothing to be ashamed of ONLY PROUD.. because we all earn every new breath we are blessed to take :cool2:

Edited by meschultz

I have followed his exact guidelines on dieting and lost four pounds in three months. He was shocked I didn't have a better outcome. I spend ten to twelve hours a day with him, so he knows what I eat. I am on my feet all day long, literally, and walk on the weekends. I can't lose anything. What I eat is healthy, I just know it takes a lot to make me fill hungry. I know that sounds pathetic, but it does. If I eat a normal size meal for a person who is not obese I am hungry an hour later. I barely meet the guidelines of being a hundred pounds over weight depending on what I'm wearing. :cool2: He does the gastric bypass and sleeve but is not a fan of the lap band. His opinion is that it is very risky with infection and slippage and side effects. He is an amazing surgeon. I have worked for him for 5 years, he's never lost a patient, has only had 1 patient w/ complications and is very upfront with all of his patients.

He just pushes diet and exercise very sternly. I have been looking into a TT and breast aug for about 2 years and he is completly againist that. He's very religious and says that I am the way God made me to be. He performs these surgeries to help people feel healthier and happier in there own skin, is the way he puts it. He does it to allow a person to see their children get married and play with there great grandchildren. But he is againist the lap band. I;m afraid if he knows I'm getting it done he'll look at me differently. I'm also afraid if he doesn't know I'm getting it he'll then I resorted to medication or drugs for weightloss. EH!

I think you are overly concerned with what he thinks.. He is your employer not your family.. You are not required to answer to him on personal health decisions.. he sounds like a very conflicted surgeon. he believes a women should not get a Tummy Tuck or breast augmentation to feel comfortable in her skin as you put it, but it is ok to re route someone bodies organs... He sounds ODD... I think you need to involve your family more and him less... best wishes to you

Hi Savannah's Mommy,

I wondered if you had ever had your thyroid checked? Sometimes that makes weight loss difficult. I have an underactive thyroid and if I stray just a smidge off of a diet I gain at the drop of a hat. I have been following a 3-month supervised diet and found that when I followed the "fill your plate" guidelines I was satisfied with normal portion sizes as well as staying full longer. Anyway, what I wanted to say is what some of the other posters have said. "He is not your family." You have to live with whatever choice YOU make. You are not living for HIM. You are living for yourself.

I am a religious person as well, but I would NEVER tell someone or make someone feel bad because they needed to have a certain surgery to help their health. He really sounds wacky. I just cannot get my mind around the fact that he is a weight loss doctor and making his living off obese people, only to chastise someone in his office for wanting or needing the same things.

I think you need to keep in mind that once again, this is your ultimate decision and whatever decision you make is the one YOU have to be happy about. So what if he doesn't approve. You will be on your way to feeling better about yourself and in overall health. What's he going to do...Fire you? I think not. Don't worry so much on what he is going to say....they are only words. You are the one in the end who decides if you will let the words hurt you. Life is short and you live only once so you might as well try and be happy AND healthy.

Good luck to you hun.

Meschultz,

That is FANTASTIC on your weight loss. Gosh I just can't wait until I get mine!! :cool2:) Great job!!! lO)

If you think he isn't going to figure out that you had a lapband placed....your wrong. By the time you start to get restriction, you are going to get stuck, he will know.....it is like trying to hide it from another lapband person....it isn't going to work.

Most surgeons and doctors really only care about the money. Don't kid yourself people, that is why anyone does any form of work.

You should ask for a cut rate deal on the sleeve from him. I think he will be very very supportive, since he knows your putting in the work and you will be a walking in office success story.

PSJ thanks.. it has been worth it.. i love my band..

JAFFA... I dont agree with you comment that all people only do what they do for the money.. GOSH I hope not because that means the guy who opens up your chest to do bypass surgery on you later in life could care less if you live or die because either way he is getting paid for that surgery...You have an odd view of things..

I am sure yes people do go into jobs because ultimately we all need to make money to survive on this planet, but there are doctors and nurse and lawyers and others who generally love what they do and want to make a difference in this world and in peoples lives... I think maybe you need a check on humanity and just learn to find something good and something ordinary.. My best wishes to your future life I truly hope you can find a better view of the world and the people in it..

Savannahsmommie.. dont give up hope.. there are doctors out there who truly do care and want the best for their patients... Make sure you have one and DO NOT just rush out and get gastric bypass or the sleeve just because that is what the DR you work for does.. Get what you feel comfortable with what you are ok with because as PSJ said you are the one who has to live with this decision. YOu have to be ok with it.. and about the only thing Jaffa said I agree with is you wont be able to hide the band forever.. when you do have restriction it is likely that you will get stuck once and people even without the band will know something is not right.. You will make the right decision.. do what is in your heart ...you have to feel comfortable with this..

You should ask for a cut rate deal on the sleeve from him. I think he will be very very supportive, since he knows your putting in the work and you will be a walking in office success story.

I agree with this. No fills after and you already eat well and excercise so it will just help the hunger and no need for a port etc. That's what I am going to do. Too many stories of band issues for me and going to revisions. Could get very expensive then. Something to think about anyway - good luck.