Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I think I literally cried my eyes out. I finally got my referral approved Tuesday to go see an off post surgeon. Wednesday, they faxed all my paperwork to the surgeons office. I called today to make my first consult appointment. Till then everything had gone ok. Well I was talking to the receptionist(sp?) and she gave me a date for the siminar. Everything still OK. Until she asked me if I drank or smoked. Well I don't drink. but Monday I decided that if I was going to change my life and be healthy, I also need to quit smoking. So I did. Cold Turkey. It has been hard as HECK. but I did it. Well when I told her proudly that I quit smoking Monday, she was like... "OHH I am so sorry to tell you that our Doc office has a policy that you have to be smoke free for 2 months, before we can proceed to do anything." I said, "I can't even go to the siminar or have a consult." She was like no. So she said they were going to reject my referral. I was heart broken. I just broke down and cried while she was on the phone. I could hardly even caught my breath. She tried to reasure me that after the 2 months she would help everything go through as quick as possible. I just couldn't quit crying. I told her thanks and hung up as soon as I could. I really wanted to throw my phone. I was actually driving and had to park on the side of the road so I could get control of my self. I drove home as fast as I could. I came running in the house crying and my hubby really freaked out thinking something REALLY bad happened. I flopped on the couch and just cried. He did try to tell me everything would be fine, but I just felt so disappointed in myself. At first I blamed my PCM for not telling me this surgeon required this, because I first saw him about the LB exactly 2 months ago. NOW I was going to have to wait another 2 months. But then I quickly realized that it was all my fault for smoking in the first place. Well I remembered I left my phone in the truck so I went and got it. I had a missed call. It was from the surgeon's office. They left a voice mail saying they decided not to throw out my referral and to call them Monday. So, I am still a little depressed about the whole thing because I don't know what they will tell my monday. If they still can't help, I am going to see if TriWest can refer me to another surgeon. I just felt so defeated. Anyway, just wanted to tell someone my ordeal and there is no one here in Alaska I know that would actually understand. Thanks for listening....LOL Jennifer

Ohhh, I am so sorry to hear that. It really must suck, I can't imagine what that must of felt like. There are hard times but don't give up. Good luck and I hope everything works out ok for you.

Don't beat yourself up. You are a good person and are trying.

I don't know if it would work for you, but the VA hospitals in Portland and San Francisco do Lap Band. I have heard good things about Portland.

Thanks to both of you for your service to our country.

Jennifer,

So sorry about all your frustration, but have you noticed everything usually gets fouled up when dealing with drs offices and insurance companies! I have been trying to line my surgery up since August 2008 and seems like everything my insurance lady told me about the steps to take SHE was the one who was not following through. But, I finally got approved and was banded 4/1/09! And I won't even go into all the misinformation my drs office sent me. Anyway, just hang in there and keep fighting for yourself because if you just left it to those who are supposed to know what they're doing, you might be waiting a long time. So, regardless of the frustrations YOU just keep following things up. And remember God is in charge.

Happy Easter,

scout47

I honestly find this really weird! When I met for the inital consult after the seminar, they asked me if I smoked, I said no. They said ok good because if you did then you would have to quit up to 2 months before the surgery. The whole process usually takes way more than 2 months before you have the surgery anyway. I went to my seminar DEC and my surgery is JUNE! And I did it all fast!

You know, you can go to another doctor. You don't have to wait.

Congratulations on quitting smoking and stay smoke free. If they aren't going to throw your referral out, it sounds like maybe they are going to start you in the process. The process with tests and psych visits may take up to two months anyway. Stop stressing, that will only make staying smoke free harder. The two months will pass by much faster than you think. The surgeon only has your best interests at heart with this requirement. You will do just fine!

When I read this, I said to myself... but she's doing great! Living smoke free is huge! And there ARE a few steps before banding, so I hope they reconsider and get you started! Either way, proud that you've already started your journey!

First of all, CONGRATS on you quitting smoking. I have never smoked, but can only imagine the difficulty. I will tell you, though, there were a few people in our classes that were "in the process of" quitting. One even started again and was working toward quitting. Do not let that discourage you too much. Two months is a relatively short period of time when you look at the entire picture of your life! Use the two months to strengthen your resolve to become healthier. Any steps you take prior to surgery will only benefit your continued success! Keep smiling.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did talk to the surgeon's office yesterday. Well I still have to be 2 months smoke free. I was really freaking out about it all weekend but decided I would rather wait the 2 months then not have it at all. The nurses suggested I get all my test and everything done ahead of time so I won't have to wait on them later. I still have not smoked and I plan never to start it again. I quit COLD turkey when I was pregnant with both of my children, I still to this day, don't realize why I started again. I am glad to say my hubby is on board with quitting smoking with me. I just hope we can stick with it forever. :) Jennifer

Congratulations!! I am smoke free 6 years now. As for having to wait well, it will go by quicker than you think!!!

Take care and good luck!!!