Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw my PCP yesterday, questioning myself...

This is the first time I approached her about WLS, so I was a little nervous. SHe basically said to really think about what I wanted to do. That she has had some patients that have had the surgery loose a lot of weight, some have not. If I am an emotional eater (who isn't, I say) to think long and hard about having the surgery too. Emotional eaters can still eat all day, just small amounts, and not loose very well. I can't say that I eat every time I am hapy, sad , etc., but I do eat for pleasure and reward. I recognize that, thats the first step right? :sad: She suggested really checking out the doc, making sure they have good aftercare, etc. All good advice. So overall, she did not push me one way or the other.

I feel better having brought the subject up.

I do not have to have a referral or anything, but I did want to get thouroughly checked out before going on with this.

The good news is, I am healthy as a horse! Cholesteral a little high (208) nothing diet and exercise won't fix. The bad news is, I am still on the fence about the surgery, I have spent $270 on program fees already, and another $400 or so in coinsurance and deductables for my pre-op testing. I do not want the fact that I have spent a lot already sway me. I just really want this to work for me. I am scared to death that I will be one of those people who loose nothing! I know its up to me to succeed, but if I have never succeeded before, what makes me think I can succeed now? The fear is all consuming, but so is my weight, I am miserable with myself ! It seems it is all I think about some days.

Is anyone else going thru this? The self doubt and fears of failure yet once again?

Thanks for listening to me ramble, sometimes it helps to just write it all down!

Jodi

A couple of years ago I saw the commercial with the roaring lion lol and started to research the lap band. I even went to see if my insurance would cover it. Then I decided not to do it and just tried to forget about it.

2 years later here I am with a surgery date! I am not surprised that your doctor told you people have not lost weight with it. The Lap Band is just one part to the tri-pod, the other 2 being exercise and change in diet. If you don't do all three of those things, you won't be successful!

I would suggest going to a lap band support group. There you can ask any questions of regret to the people there! They are usually very honest and very supportive! I hope it all works out for you in the way you want!

I am having the exact same fears. I am so afraid that this will just be another weight loss attempt like all the others in the past. But with much more drastic ramifications than just writing a check to WW or Jenny Craig or buying a self help book.

But here is how I am looking at it. If I DON'T do that, what will the results be of my future weight loss efforts? How much will I weigh next year at this time?

I know the answers for myself. You have to figure out where you might be 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down the road with this procedure and without.

Hi Jodi,

I was just banded on 4/1/09. I can tell you that between 10/08 when I started this journey up until the day of surgery I had a lot of the same questions and doubts. But, I figured that I have not been able to do it on my own for my whole life so what makes me think I can now? Also, unlike you, my PCP was very supportive. I was nervous about asking him as well but for no reason as it turns out. He also told me that he has several patients who have been banded and it has worked out well for them.

As with most insurance companies, mine required a psych eval. I was hesitant to go because I'm not into those things but when I left, I was so glad that I went. The psychologist opened my eyes to emotional eating. She made me realize that (as I kinda knew) a lot of eating is emotional. More importantly, I learned how to identify when emotional eating is about to happen and then avoid it.

Make the decision that's right for you but know that most of us (all?) had the same mind games leading up to the ultimate decision. I haven't regretted it for a second. It's been a great experience for me so far.

Good luck!

Heck, if we all looked at our feelings when we first SERIOUSLY considered this surgery, a heck of a lot of us would likely admit that we wondered "what if it doesn't work for me?". There are some who have eaten around the band (and a lot who have re-gained weight after bypass for that matter) -- why say it isn't so? But the truth is, if you are serious, will follow the eating guidelines and get moving, this is probably the one thing that WILL work for you like nothing else could. In that period between surgery and first fill (4 weeks for me), I didn't lose anything....just gained and lost 3 pounds once a week. But since that first fill, the weight has started to fall off. I'm sure there will be plateaus ahead of me, but I've lost one-third of the total amount I hoped to lose. I'm certainly not the least bit unhappy with my decision.

Jodi,

My suggestion to you is do ALOT of soul searching and research.

If and when you come to a place where you are ready and willing to make a commitment to CHANGE YOUR LIFE then take the next step.

I completely agree that it would be a great idea for you to visit a few support group meetings and get to know how others are living with their bands.

Ask as many questions as you need here as well.....I have found there there is a good variaty here...some love their band and some....well not so much. No one here is selling anything, here you get the good the bad and the ugly.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find your way to a healthier life with or without the band.

I had the same exact doubts and it took a while for me to make my final decision. I toyed with thoughts of WLS in one form or another for 2 years before I did it.

Now, I have no doubts. I was able to lose all of my excess weight by banding. The band really took care of my hunger problem completely - I still had to work on my head with emotional/impulsive eating and exercise. However, without banding I know I could not obtain long term success.

I only wish I could go back and talk to myself when I was so doubtful and worried if I was just finding a very costly way to fail myself yet again.

I think if you are really ready to commit to a new lifestyle, then you will have success. The statistics speak for themselves as far as how likely it is for the average person to lose and keep off weight post banding or by more traditional means. Banding is what you make of it, it can definitely by the tool you need for success as long as you are willing to work for it.

Thank you to all the those with advice! I am doing a lot of soul searching, and talking with those who know me best. I am starting an excercise class at a local church next week. It's cheap and close by. A friend and I have commited to going 2-3 times a week. She needs to loose quiet a bit too, hopefully a cohort will help me stay motivated. I have always been good at getting one thing going good. As in I exercise really well, but eat bad, or eat right, but am not active enough etc. If I can get into a habit of exercising, then get my food right too....I think thats where the band will help me. If all the puzzle pieces would fall into place, I truly think the weight would come off pretty easily. It has before, then I fall off the wagon, and gain it back. plus some!

Again, thank you, good luck to you all too! Jodi

Hi Jodi,

All of your thoughts and concerns are totally normal. I'm sure we've all been there - afraid it won't work, not understanding why it would be different than other diets, feeling ashamed that it actually got this bad and needing to resort to WLS (big ones for me anyway).

While my PCP was very supportive, my surgeon's office made me think really hard about my desire for success, willingness to make changes, and the risks associated with surgery (including the fact that it simply doesn't work for everyone). Now, keep in mind, there are a lot of factors associated with people who don't lose with the band, including non-compliance (eating slider foods, no fills and follow-up with dieticians and physician) and lack of exercise and other healthy habits. Yes, there are a small group of people who, unfortunately, have severe band complications or simply never feel restriction...

How I dealt with that mentally was knowing that I'm willing to exercise. I know I'm willing to work my band properly, or I simply wouldn't go to such lengths to lose weight if I was going to sabotage myself. Non-compliance is not going to happen to me, so that eliminated a lot of the "numbers." I'm in control. If I happen to be one of the unlucky few, well, what do I have to lose? Sure, it's surgery...but you heal relatively quickly. Insurance is paying, so the $550 program is all that I'm responsible for out-of-pocket (which I spend in a year on WW, pills, memberships, videos, etc.). Worst case scenario (aside from serious complications) is that I won't lose weight...the same result as all the other diets and plans I've been on over the last six years. On the other hand, the likelihood of success with the band versus diet and exercise alone is much greater. Again - what did I have to lose? Just weight.

I'm new to this, but I've already lost as much weight in three weeks as I did in four months the last time I did Weight Watchers. Good luck with your decision...you'll make the right one for yourself! And although your PCP asked you to think hard, at least she didn't seem totally opposed...that's a good thing!

I think we all question decision before surgery. I know I did. Did I make the right decision? I can honestly say....yes I did! I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes June '08. That was the last straw. I'm totally off the Metforim and my last fasting A1C was perfect.

I'm down 44 lbs and feel great. If you are looking for a "quick fix" the band is not the answer! The band is part of a threesome...you must add exercise and a change in eating habits for the band to be your friend.

I've been banded almost 5 months and I find myself filling my plate like in my pre-band days. I look at my plate and think "wait a minute, I can't eat all that" and you know what...I can't. Not even half that amount.

For me, this little jewel has become a great friend!!

Good luck with your decision.

Hi Jodi, I am right there with you. I have the same fears, I have lost approx 100 lbs 3 times now and each time it has come back with more. I eventually gave up cause dieting was making me fatter... but where I am is that I had no restriction and would feel so good about myself after losing that I would reward myself with overeating again, and then feel guilty and the circle starts over, I think with the band, that if I start to go down that road it will pull me back very quickly. I believe that is the road to success. Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide.