Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

being accused of cheating

Jennifer - rude people need to be put in their place otherwise if we are silent it is like validating their bitchiness. I am so glad you spoke up. Maybe next time she decides to be mean-spirited she will have second thoughts. This goes for co-workers, sales people, and family members, among others. If we don't speak up - their unacceptable behavior will just continue. Thanks for giving her what she deserved.

i was very open with my co-workers about my surgery. im a nurse and figured why lie? they aren't dumb and i consider most of them friends. and for the most part they've all been very supportive. i,ve lost 25 pounds in the 5 weeks since my surgery. i just had my 1st fill last friday so being that i've had little to no restriction i feel pretty proud of myself.

needless to say i've got that one co-worker who has only nasty things to say. (to be honest she's kind of the office bitch and very thin) . everyone has complimented me on my weight loss besides her.

on more than one occasion i she made comments to me that my weight loss really isn't a big since i cheated to lose weight by having surgery. i generally speak up for myself but i let her get away with this a few times. well she said it tonight and i told her off. i asked since she thought my surgery was cheating what does she consider the 2 packs of cigarrettes and 12 cups of coffee she has everyday instead of eating? she literally lives on caffeine and nicoteine. if thats not cheating then i dont know what is. i also told i'd rather gain 50 more pounds and be happy then be a miserable skinny bitch! that seemed to shut her up pretty quick.

has anyone had any similar problems? how did you address them? my method might not have been the most adult but it sure felt good! to anyone who reads this thanks for listening. i really needed to vent about this

I am so sorry that you have had to put up with her bullshit (excuse my language). It just makes me so Mad when people refer to having the lapband to help us with our weight as a "cheat".

I don't know how anyone could say that having this surgery is a cheating way to loose weight or even say that it's the easy way out. This surgery is anything but the easy way out or a cheat to loose the weight we need and want to loose.

All these people that think and say this, needs to have a glimps into our new lives. We are having to learn all over again how to eat, and when we mess up by taking to big of a bite or not chewing our food well enough, we have the most god awful feeling that we (well most of us) wouldn't wish upon our worst hated enemy. We have to have constant checkups with our doctors and we have these long needles stuck into our stomachs or where the port is to tighten our band. We choose to give up most of our favorite foods and soft drinks, we have to search extra hard when we go out to eat so we can make sure we aren't getting something with to many calories or to much sugar intake.

We have went through so much before our surgery from being depressed over our weight to several several failed diets. No, this is not the easy way out. For most of us, its the only way that we can get this weight off.

I am not ashamed of having my band, and if I could, I'd shout it from the highest mountain top. I love my band and there isn't anyone out there that can change my mind about that.

So, don't let the negitive things that people will say to you get you down. Remember what I was always told growing up. People only say mean things to you because someone inside, they have things about them that the don't like so in order to make them feel better about themselves, they have to put other down and my favorite of all times...OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERYONE HAS ONE AND MOST OF THE STINK!!!!

Enjoy your band hun, and enjoy what it has, can, and will do for you and your health.

:thumbdown::laugh:

I am so sorry that you have had to put up with her bullshit (excuse my language). It just makes me so Mad when people refer to having the lapband to help us with our weight as a "cheat".

I don't know how anyone could say that having this surgery is a cheating way to loose weight or even say that it's the easy way out. This surgery is anything but the easy way out or a cheat to loose the weight we need and want to loose.

All these people that think and say this, needs to have a glimps into our new lives. We are having to learn all over again how to eat, and when we mess up by taking to big of a bite or not chewing our food well enough, we have the most god awful feeling that we (well most of us) wouldn't wish upon our worst hated enemy. We have to have constant checkups with our doctors and we have these long needles stuck into our stomachs or where the port is to tighten our band. We choose to give up most of our favorite foods and soft drinks, we have to search extra hard when we go out to eat so we can make sure we aren't getting something with to many calories or to much sugar intake.

We have went through so much before our surgery from being depressed over our weight to several several failed diets. No, this is not the easy way out. For most of us, its the only way that we can get this weight off.

I am not ashamed of having my band, and if I could, I'd shout it from the highest mountain top. I love my band and there isn't anyone out there that can change my mind about that.

So, don't let the negitive things that people will say to you get you down. Remember what I was always told growing up. People only say mean things to you because someone inside, they have things about them that the don't like so in order to make them feel better about themselves, they have to put other down and my favorite of all times...OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERYONE HAS ONE AND MOST OF THE STINK!!!!

Enjoy your band hun, and enjoy what it has, can, and will do for you and your health.

you are soo right!!!!

i was very open with my co-workers about my surgery. im a nurse and figured why lie? they aren't dumb and i consider most of them friends. and for the most part they've all been very supportive. i,ve lost 25 pounds in the 5 weeks since my surgery. i just had my 1st fill last friday so being that i've had little to no restriction i feel pretty proud of myself.

needless to say i've got that one co-worker who has only nasty things to say. (to be honest she's kind of the office bitch and very thin) . everyone has complimented me on my weight loss besides her.

on more than one occasion i she made comments to me that my weight loss really isn't a big since i cheated to lose weight by having surgery. i generally speak up for myself but i let her get away with this a few times. well she said it tonight and i told her off. i asked since she thought my surgery was cheating what does she consider the 2 packs of cigarrettes and 12 cups of coffee she has everyday instead of eating? she literally lives on caffeine and nicoteine. if thats not cheating then i dont know what is. i also told i'd rather gain 50 more pounds and be happy then be a miserable skinny bitch! that seemed to shut her up pretty quick.

has anyone had any similar problems? how did you address them? my method might not have been the most adult but it sure felt good! to anyone who reads this thanks for listening. i really needed to vent about this

You had every right to say that to her !!!! KUDOS TO YOU!!!

People will always accuse you of 'cheating' or taking the 'easy way out.' I don't really say much except try to explain that for ONCE IN MY LIFE, I had a MEDICAL DEVICE installed that took away my constant hunger. It helped REWIRE MY BRAIN so that I think of food like a normal person. If 'cheating' is viewing food in a normal, healthy way, then I am PROUD to have 'cheated.' And I look damn good in my size 6 jeans, no matter how I got there.

thanks alot for all the supportive replies. and let me just say i had to see her at work today and didny here her make 1 nasty comment to me or anyone else for a change!!

I've gotten the same thing. I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and at my job they were doing a version of Biggest Loser but told me I couldn't participate since my weight loss would be considered cheating. I was also open with people I thought had my best interest in mind. I am now extremely aware of who my friends are and aren't. I have nothing to do with the ones that aren't except professionally. It's a shame too, but at least I know what they think of me and my journey.

oh that is so awesome! I have not been banded yet, but my mom was saying to me the other day that I should expect people who have always been nice to me won't be anymore. :glare:

Way to go! Too bad you did not tape it I would have loved to seen that! I would have added and at least my lungs are clean and I will live a lot longer than you will. What a bi**h!

That's awesome! I think you should be very proud of yourself for standing up to her. Anyone who has done this knows that this is a very difficult thing, probaley the hardest thing I've ever done. So poo on her!

I've gotten the same thing. I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago and at my job they were doing a version of Biggest Loser but told me I couldn't participate since my weight loss would be considered cheating. I was also open with people I thought had my best interest in mind. I am now extremely aware of who my friends are and aren't. I have nothing to do with the ones that aren't except professionally. It's a shame too, but at least I know what they think of me and my journey.

Hmm, kind of not realistic of them I think. For example, in the 'National Smoke Out' days that are done, it's not considered cheating if someone wears a patch to get through the day. Also, you may want to point out that the goal is to lose weight. And even on this year's The Biggest Loser show on TV, they have a man right now who has had the surgery and he's still eligible. They haven't accused him of cheating and have not made him leave the show, either.

However, if they still won't allow it, I know you're still The Biggest Loser there! So you win! I hope things get better for you at work. Support is so critical!

Good luck!

Tkl

I'm about six months post op and I dealt with some of this, because I have an office full of staff who likes a little intrigue, and two of us in the courthouse had the surgery at the same time.

The best part is they tried to make it a race of some sort and compare/contrast the relative amounts of weight loss.

I just told them, and it's gotten around the courthouse, that I'm not interested in telling people anything. I'm "shrinking" and that's all there is to it.

As someone else said, it's really not any of their business ... I don't tell people about my thyroid condition, my fillings or anything else. Tell them, impolitely if you need to, to go fly a kite.