Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 3 fills and no change!!

Hi!! I've been reading this web site for four months now. I got banded in December, and am still struggling with losing the weight. I'm not feeling the restriction that I thought I would, so it's been a challenge. I did lose 23 pounds before the operation, and I've kept it off, but tomorrow I go for my 4th fill, and I'm going to have a gain. My doctor is great, but he doesn't do fills whenever you feel you need them...he only does them every four weeks.... I'm just hoping that this is the one that will give me the restriction I need to really start this adventure. I was so ready when I had the surgery, but I'm fading fast. I'm r_e_a_l_l_y ready to do this!!

Give me luck! I need it! :wink:..........................

Anybody out there having the same problem?

Edited by kokopelli

Get another adjustment was going to be my advice but I see you are doing that.

Come back to this thread to update us....

did you feel any restriction after leaving the office?

did it kick in a day or so later?

....that kind of thing.

Good luck and hang in there!

I'm guessing that your doctor is also very conservative on the amount of a filll. I am at 4.6ccs in a 10cc band. I'm not at my sweet spot but I do feel restriction -- just not enough. But, I've only had two fills (I'm 8 weeks post-op). So get the next fill and talk to your doctor seriously about where you are. I don't know how much your fill is but maybe you can finally get at least some restriction with this fill. Good luck.

Yay im not the only one!!!!

I had the same problem, i had three fills and they were so minimal that they did nothing to me.

At Xmas i wen to see my surgeon and what he did was fill it right up so that i couldnt even swallow Water, and then he took some out until i felt comfortable. This was just before the hols. By end of Jan i had another one, shouldnt have had that Jan fill. it was way too tight, i have had problems keeping anything down since the end of jan. Im going to hold back for a while before i get another one done.

I was also told that the 'optimum' spot was difficult to find and that it took some time which isnt very reassuring when you have just paid a very large amount of money and they dont tell you this before the op.

I had my 2nd fill yesterday and I still do not have a ton of restriction, I will know more when I am on solids. However, I asked why they are so conservative with fills, and the research shows people who are filled slowly have better success and are more able to cope with banding because it is a learning process. This way they know there body better, also you do not want to get stuck and have all the Fluid removed and start over. I can take many months to find your sweet spot. :wink:

Hello everyone,

I was banded almost 9 months ago and I went from 207lbs to 134lbs. Do not get discouraged, please......................

I was told after the surgery that my first fill would not be until 8-12 weeks after the surgery I listened and during that time only lost 10lbs. I wasn't very happy at the beginning but after I started going to get my fills I started losing anywhere from 8-10lbs a month.

I don't know why the doc is so conservative about the fills. I was fine my first two fills I started losing the weight then by the third one I was too restricted so I went back as soon as I felt uncomfortable. Some saline was removed and I was back on track again. During my weight loss I also felt I was not restricted enough and made an appointment and had more saline added.

It is true that each of us will be in search of that perfect amount that will aid in the weight loss and not make it to restricted but the doc needs to allow you to find that point.

Do you have free fills for a year after surgery? That may be one reason why he is only allowing the 1 fill like that.

Be patient and don't give up. You will get there.

Marie

Don't know if I'm doing this right, but just wanted to say thanks so much for the replies to my thread!! I couldn't go in for my fill today, because my doctor had to do emergency surgery, and I had to reschedule for next Tuesday, but you have all made me feel a little better about my situation. Knowing that it's the more the 'norm' than the exception is comforting. I'm going to do this, darn it!! Hopefully everyone that replied to me will do a good job too. Good luck to everyone...:smile2: