Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Newbie questions, please

Guest missp_32

Guest missp_32

Hi there! I am Patti. I was banded on 5/17/05 and have lost approximately 23 lbs so far. My weight loss has been slow, but I am OK with that because I know it is permanent. YAY!

My doc apparently approaches fills differently (from what I can gather). He has had me come in every 2 weeks since 6 weeks post-op for teeny little fills. Like .2 or .3 cc's. Eh, whatever! Doesn't matter to me 'cause it is covered by my insurance. I am up to a fill of 1.8cc's and feeling restriction. Not scheduled to go back to the doc for a month.

Here's my question(s) if you would be so kind

1. I've been having a protien shake for Breakfast and a protien bar mid-morning (if need be). No problem. At lunch time I eat a 4-6 point frozen diet lunch. The problem is that after taking the first few bites (like 1/6 of the meal) I experience extreme pain. Sometimes to the point of vomiting! The wierd thing is that after I vomit, I don't have any problem eating the remainder of the lunch (slowly) even if I'm not "hungry." I feel as though I should eat because I eat very little as it is and after all, I just threw it all up! What's up with that? I asked the doc and he didn't seem overly concerned. Said something about my stomach being empty and shrinking and those first few bites stretching it out.

2. My second question is this: Do you all eat even when your not hungry just because it is meal time and you haven't eaten? For example, mornings and noon are no problem. I get hungry. But I'm NEVER hungry for dinner. Should I just skip it or force myself to eat something?

Thank you so much for your advice and wisdom.

Patti

The throwing up part is a concern as you could slip your band in the process. I suggest you slow down eating those first two or three bites of food and let it settle in before you try eating anymore. Also, are you chewing your food enough? Are you drinking with your meals? Those two things will factor into the food coming back up.

Second point if you are not hungry at dinner count your lucky stars but I would suggest maybe another Protein Drink or a Protein Bar instead of eating nothing. Just don't eat anything after 8p.

Hope this helped.

Guest missp_32

Thanks for your quick reply Penni. I guess I should rephrase ... I'm not really "vomiting" per se, it's more like burping (this is kinda gross huh? LOL). Still, I'm sure it's not good.

Anyway, I have been taking small drinks of Water or iced tea with my meals thinking that it would help smooth the way through the band. Are you saying that that contributes to my troubles? If so, I'll stop immediately! It is miserably painful. Do you think that maybe a half hour of "grazing" pre-meal would help? Like take a bite, wait 5 minutes, take a bite, etc.

Also, thanks so much for your evening suggestion. A protien bar for dinner sounds just right!

Patti

Patti,

those are referred to by bandsters as PBs (productive burps). I get them when I eat too fast, swallow too much in one bite, drink with a meal, don't chew enough, etc. I consider them as a warning by the band to follow the rules. If it was bad (some last longer than others), I go back to mushies for a day.

Good luck getting them under control. I consider it part of learning to live with the band.

Celeste

I will agree with penni on the chewing and small bites.

As far as not being hungry and forcing yourself, I'd say that is a bad idea.

If you are not hungry, act like a skinny person and don't eat.

You'll get hungry soon enough and you aren't going to starve. I'd just get all your fluids in and drink your Protein the next morning.

I WISH it were like that for me now!

Once it was and I was at my ideal weight for those years. I rarely ate much for dinner and I skipped it all the time and I didn't die and I was in perfect health.

If I had force fed myself I would have began to enjoy the feeling of being over fed.

I would have gained weight. Eventually I did force myself after I got married because I thought I should eat w/ my husband....bad idea....did gain weight.

Of course, ask your MD about it for healths sake.

Guest missp_32

OK. Thanks everybody. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy! Even though I thought I was going slow enough and taking nice small bites, chewing completely, etc., I guess I need to re-look at that again. I'll stop taking sips with meals and see if that helps also.

I would like to say thanks. Even though this is the first time I've posted (shyness I guess), I've been lurking for a while and have gotten alot of knowledge and encouragement out of this forum.

I'll try to be braver and jump in more often. Guess I'd better go over to the introductions thread and introduce myself

Patti

Hi Pati,

Try drinking something warm before eating your lunch. Your problem is commonly known as "first bite pain". Your band is rebelling a little when that real food hits. The warm tea or coffeee or even warm Water will help your esophagus relax a little bit. A Protein shake or Protein bar is not the same as solid protein. I dont want to sound preachy, but frozen meals are not necessarily the best choices anyway. I dont know whats in those frozen meals, but most of them are garbage, high sodium substitutes for real protein. Many of them have noodles which many bandsters cant eat. Sure a lean cuisine might only have 240 calories, but usually they have lots of sodium and little protein. And very few of them have enough protein which will stall your weight loss. Maybe you could try some tuna or a piece of grilled chicken or some turkey chili? There are lots of other choices.

Regarding meals and eating even if you are not hungry. I say as long as you are getting between 50-60 grams of protein a day, missing a meal wont hinder your weight loss. Although I will preface that by saying that you shouldnt eliminate Breakfast since this is the meal that jumpsstarts your metabolism.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

Thanks for your quick reply Penni. I guess I should rephrase ... I'm not really "vomiting" per se, it's more like burping

Sounds like a PB to me.

After a PB most Dr.'s reccomend going on liquids for 24 hours so your esophagus does not get irritated and to let the swelling go down. I did not listen to those instructions and regretter it and had theworst case of Esophagitis ever! I know follow my Dr.'s instructions of liquids for 24 hrs after a PB, if you dont this could bewhy you PB often, it becomes a vicious cycle and most likely have swelling which makes it harde for the food to get through the band causing the stuck feeling, also my Dr. say you shouldnt be eating after 20 minutes, if you are stil leating after 20 minutes time to stop

Hope some of this helps you :)

Anyway, I have been taking small drinks of Water or iced tea with my meals thinking that it would help smooth the way through the band.

Not good! Drinking with meals just pushes the food through the pouch quicker making you hungry quicker key with the band is to keep the pouch full for as long as possible and trust me one time you may not be so lucky and that drink you took will make you have the worst PB ever. I know thids from experience too :)

See replies below!

1. I've been having a protien shake for breakfast and a protien bar mid-morning (if need be). No problem. At lunch time I eat a 4-6 point frozen diet lunch. The problem is that after taking the first few bites (like 1/6 of the meal) I experience extreme pain. Sometimes to the point of vomiting! The wierd thing is that after I vomit, I don't have any problem eating the remainder of the lunch (slowly) even if I'm not "hungry." I feel as though I should eat because I eat very little as it is and after all, I just threw it all up! What's up with that? I asked the doc and he didn't seem overly concerned. Said something about my stomach being empty and shrinking and those first few bites stretching it out.

>>>>>Yes I have noticed this also. In my bad, rebellious days I sometimes eat again. But REALLY we should eat again when we vomit (PB). We need a rest of several hours (the rest of the day might be good). Be careful about any vomitting/PBs. They are not a laughing matter.

2. My second question is this: Do you all eat even when your not hungry just because it is meal time and you haven't eaten? For example, mornings and noon are no problem. I get hungry. But I'm NEVER hungry for dinner. Should I just skip it or force myself to eat something?

>>>>>I don't eat if I am not hungry. Too many years of compulsive eating to force myself to do it now. However, sometimes I may need the calories/protein, so I drink some milk or a Protein shake.

Thank you so much for your advice and wisdom.

Patti

I have the same problem and my dr called it frothing! She said it is not good and usually happens when you eat too fast or the bites are too big. Also, as the others have said, you should not drink when eating, that can cause food to swell in your pouch, also causing the frothing.

Julie