Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apnea and will NOT use Cpap

There has been a lot of things said here. I would suggest you take one step at a time. 1) I would review with your doctor the sleep study and ask all types of questions.

2) Talk to him about your issues that you have with using the mask and the problems that you have with wearing face masks etc. 3) Ask him/her about using a dental device, this might take care of it for you. I have had great luck with it. 4) Keep in mind the sleep apnea might be related to other things than just weight. Even though I have lost over 70 lbs and my numbers are low I still have sleep apnea but not bad. 5) Make sure you get a machine that can down load the data and take this to your doctor and review it every few weeks with him. I did this and was able to show that I was bloated with the band and was able to reduce my setting down real low and was able to justify the dental device. I hope this will help everyone else that reads this post. If you go to some of my other post you will see where I have talk about this in my exp. There is a real good book that is in part written by Dr. Gail B. Demko DDS and others about sleep apena and using the machine etc. Explains everything in real easy to understand terms. Good luck with everything and just keep asking questions.

Chris

I had my surgery 12-23-08. I was told to bring my CPAP. I did. They never asked for it and surgery was fine. You are only 22 and that explains why you have problems with it. I would recommend that you at least keep the machine because you might change your mind. Especially if insurance took care of the cost for you. I am going on a cruise in 3 months and I know that the people I am going to share a room with will be very glad that I have a CPAP machine!! LOL :thumbup: I wish you the very best with your surgery!

it sounds like you'll take the same route by lying your way to blaming the surgeon on your failure at weight loss. So, save yourself a lot of grief and save the insurance company a lot of money and cancel your surgery. That will allow someone who cares enough about themselves and who can listen and follow the program to get banded in your place.

A pretty arrogant and presumptive post. I didn't tolerate the cpap and when I did use it all night, there was no wonderful feeling like you were talking about. I chose the weight loss surgery and have had great success.

So this is what I said....

I told my pulmonologist that I had no intention of using the band after the surgery. The secret part comes in where I don't plan on telling my surgeon that. Sorry I know I went back and read what I wrote and it was confusing! lol

I just got my surgery date, June 19th and am only required to be using the machine 3 weeks prior to surgery so I don't have to start using it until May 29th.

I have conquered the fear part of the mask....I don't hypervenlate when I put it on anymore. However, the mask does not stay on long at all. It takes me about 15 minutes to fall asleep and as soon as REM sleep is over I subconsciously take it off. My card in my machine says it's on for an average of 1 hour. Now I don't even know I'm taking it off.

I don't know what to do about that?

Gonna lose it: Did you try the nasal pillow type of CPAP? It is similar to those oxygen tubes you use in the hospital. It sits under your nose and two little "wands" for lack of a better word blow air into your nose. Of course, like with other devices, your mouth has to stay closed. Can you ask to try that type before your surgery? Usually the reps for the companies that make the machines will come to your house to demonstrate them. It's worth looking into. But if you tell your pulmonologist you are not going to use the CPAP after surgery - your surgeon will find out. They send reports.

Good luck on your surgery.

Gonna lose it: Did you try the nasal pillow type of CPAP? It is similar to those oxygen tubes you use in the hospital. It sits under your nose and two little "wands" for lack of a better word blow air into your nose. Of course, like with other devices, your mouth has to stay closed. Can you ask to try that type before your surgery? Usually the reps for the companies that make the machines will come to your house to demonstrate them. It's worth looking into. But if you tell your pulmonologist you are not going to use the CPAP after surgery - your surgeon will find out. They send reports.

Good luck on your surgery.

Well my pulmonologist said that of course he recommends that I use it after the surgery but I don't have to. He is giving me the third degree so that is why I don't want to tell my surgeon becuase I don't want to hear the same stuff all over again.

I started using a cpap machine 4 months before my surgery. It was a great thing for my sleep. I can now sleep on my back, I don't fall asleep during the day, and wake up feeling good. It has an added benefit of scaring my cat, so she doesn't sleep near my face anymore!! I plan to use it as long as I need to.

After my band surgery (1 week ago), early the next morning, after I had just taken off the CPAP but was still half asleep, the Dr. came into the room and asked why I was wearing it? I told him I had just taken it off and he said that I should wear it whenever I sleep because it was dangerous if I didn't! I always wear it now when I nap or sleep because of that but wonder if I'll ever be able to sleep without it?:smile2:

Lady Lap Band,

I have to chuckle when I read your posts. I too swore to my pulmonologist that I would NOT wear a cpap machine. I only have mild sleep apnea and do not feel tired in the mornings.

When I did the sleep test with the machine, the technician had to help me remake my bed after I threw a fit. After many hours of struggle, I finally sat up on the edge of the bed, the technician came in and I said, "Just pull the plug and let me die."

My pulmonologist is a sweetheart and patiently explained the possible outcomes if I didn't comply, the possibility of a stroke being one of them. I am terrified of strokes. That cinched it for me and I decided to give it a try.

I wouldn't wear the machine until my husband feel asleep. Then I would curl up on my side with the blankets covering me so he couldn't see me looking freaky and cry myself to sleep. Some nights neither one of us slept because I was not adjusting well.

Finally, I started falling asleep and sleeping through the night. It took me about 2 weeks of struggle. Then, I decided I needed to get over myself and started laughing about it. I offered alien sex to my husband (cause I think I look like an alien in it) hehe. Laughing certainly helped ease my stress over it.

OK .. all that being said. I CANNOT WAIT to lose this machine. I still pretty much hate it. If I still need something after I lose the weight, I will be getting a dental appliance. My pulmonologist tells me they can be quite affective.

Oh and my pulmonologist came to the hospital after surgery to make sure my machine was set up and working.

There are alternatives. Look into sleep apnea dental appliances and ask your doctor about that option.

I will look into the dental appliance since no one ever mentioned it to me.

When I first started wearing mine, my husband made the trumpet of an elephant for which he later regreted and apologized. I was also self conscious but am not any longer. I just hope losing weight will stop the need for it because it still wakes me sometimes.

Thanks for the advice.

I was in a very similar situation as you. I was diagnosed w/sleep apnea and couldn't get used to the CPAP. During my pre-op visit (two weeks before surgery), my surgeon asked me if I was using my CPAP and I said 'of course', but w/the kind of look that she knew I wasn't. She said she understood, but to please please wear it for at least the last week before surgery because it acts like a 'stint' for your lungs (opens up your airways really well) which helps you recover better afterwards. ALSO, you will be required to wear it if you are staying overnight in the hospital (which you probably will be required to if you have a risk factor such as sleep apnea). And, the last thing you want is your first try w/the CPAP to be when you are feeling the worst (right after surgery) and really need the sleep to recover.

I haven't read the whole thread, but just wanted to throw in my $.02. I had a sleep study which found that I had sleep apnea. My dentist made a two piece mouthpiece/guard which I wear everynight and it is wonderful! I sleep so much better now and if I take a nap I don't put in my mouthpiece I feel so drained when I wake up.

I understand that the CPAP is uncomfortable. I understand it's a pain.

But if my surgeon told me to use it for three weeks before surgery, I sure as heck would use it.

I don't know if you're aware, but sleep apnea places considerable strain on the heart.

I wanted to be wheeled into surgery is as HEALTHY a condition as I possibly could be. If that meant using a PITA machine for a few weeks, that's what I'd do. (I'd also continue to use it after surgery, until the weight loss was actually achieved, and the apnea resolved.)

You're right; as you lose weight, chances are the machine willl become a thing of the past.

But until then, why place additional strain on your heart? Seriously--the risk is quite real, and it's quite significant.

I'd rethink this one.

So I just thought I would update everyone!!

Last year when I had the whol CPAP fiasco lol Nothing really came of it....I never wore it I brought it to the surgery and no one ever put it on me and I shipped it back to the place it came from when I got home. It was no biggie no one really cared even though they made it seem that way.....Thanks for all your comments on the post!