Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you actually feel Restriction with your Fill?

Good Morning all..hope u had a nice Easter

I am pretty much maintaining weight..i get stuck occasionally now that I have 8cc in 14 cc band...honestly everyone Ive told said that i have alot of Fluid in my band..I wonder if I really have alot....suggestions??

Hope you had a Happy Easter too.

There is no magic number, how much we need in our band is very individual. If you are eating less not hungry and losing weight then you have just the right amount...if that is more or less than someone else it doesn't matter. If you get stuck occasionally then that means that every once in a while, you eat too fast, forget to chew well or eat too much-getting stuck is not an indicator on restriction.

Hi married, how are you doing with the fourth fill? Does the 6 small meals keep you full? Are you losing weight now?

dmbrn, have you had your second fill yet? Do you have restriction now?

I got my first fill last week - 4.4 cc. I felt somewhat restricted on the two days liquid diet following the fill. However, after I started on the regular food. I felt no restriction at all. I could keep everything down and I don't have sip Water at all. I feel like I could eat more than before the fill. I could eat 6 OZ of meat and 3 Oz of vege at dinner and feel hungry again in 3 hours. I lost a few pounds on the two days liquid diet. After at, the scale stands on a standstill point. My doctor also allows up to do a fill every two weeks. So I am going to to get another fill next Friday. Hopefully this time I would feel the right restriction.

Edited by EmmaWang

Hi married, how are you doing with the fourth fill? Does the 6 small meals keep you full? Are you losing weight now?

I got my first fill last week - 4.4 cc. I felt somewhat restricted on the two days liquid diet following the fill. However, after I started on the regular food. I felt no restriction at all. I could keep everything down and I don't have sip Water at all. I feel like I could eat more than before the fill. I could eat 6 OZ of meat and 3 Oz of vege at dinner and feel hungry again in 3 hours. I lost a few pounds on the two days liquid diet. After at, the scale stands on a standstill point. My doctor also allows up to do a fill every two weeks. So I am going to to get another fill next Friday. Hopefully this time I would feel the right restriction.

Well I do feel some restriction. THe six small meals doesnt work for me and the reason is my job. I am at a desk and work without taking lunch or breaks pretty much. So its really hard for me to take so many breaks during the day. I am on the phone constantly. So what I am doing now is going back to two shakes ...morning and afternoon. Its just easier for me. Now the weight is at a standstill pretty much. So I am thinking that I will definately need another fill or two. And I may even go back to weight watchers because I am getting too frustrated with the slow loss.

I had a fill a week ago and it has helped curb my appetite a bit. So I thought I would step on the scale today since it had been a week and I did lose 2 pounds. The weight really comes off so much slower as I try to get rid of the last 20 pounds. I also went to a support group meeting here last last evening. It was a great group of people and I even knew one of the gals that was there and hadn't seen her for a long time. We sat and discussed issues that we all may be having with our journey with the lap band. It meets once a month and anyone can come that has had the surgery and wants to get ideas or ask questions etc. It is a relatively new group as my other support group met in the city where I had my surgery about a half hour away, but in the evening I really was not interested in driving out of town for that.

Hi,I just got my 2nd fill today and am looking forward to getting back to losing. I am already tired of the liquid diet. I have 2.5cc but i have a smaller band. the doctor says people usually feel restriction at 2cc so i am very hopeful. I also don't have to take sips. We both must stay positive and believe everything is going to be great and before we know it we will be at our goal. Good luck.:rolleyes2:

3rd fill was it for me.......could still have some restriction added, because I do have some volume some days but I am happy with where I am....It's all up to you....At this level of restriction I can still eat a small amount of whole grain and that is important to me to maintain bowel health so I am staying here for now anyways!

Hello All,

I was banded on 23 September 2008 and have had NINE FILLS. I have about 6.5cc in a 10cc band. My DR is very cautious and only puts in between .4 and .6cc at a time however I can go in for a fill anytime. No time limit. Up to this last fill, I felt very little restriction and was getting really frustrated. I had gone back to old habits and could eat just about anything. I know the band is only a tool but I am an emotional eater and when I'm emotional I'm not thinking about the band! So imagine my surprise after the last fill when suddenly I understood 'stuck' and 'pb' and what happens when you take big bites and eat too fast and then get the hiccups! It's like learning all over again...September was a long time ago!

So have some patience and some faith. It will work. Not as fast as we all would like it to but eventually. I've reset my expectations and given myself a break. Now if I could just remember the rules!

Hi, I also just got my second fill today. The PA only put in 0.5 cc. I was really disappointed since I was expecting something like 2.5 to 3 cc. I am again put on liquid diet for two days. However, I could tell right now that 0.5 cc did not make much of difference in terms of restriction. I will go back after two weeks and next time I will beg the PA to give me at least 1 cc.

Well I do feel some restriction. THe six small meals doesnt work for me and the reason is my job. I am at a desk and work without taking lunch or breaks pretty much. So its really hard for me to take so many breaks during the day. I am on the phone constantly. So what I am doing now is going back to two shakes ...morning and afternoon. Its just easier for me. Now the weight is at a standstill pretty much. So I am thinking that I will definately need another fill or two. And I may even go back to weight watchers because I am getting too frustrated with the slow loss.

Married, how are you doing? I feel that you need increase the calorie intake since you are doing Protein shake for both morning and noon. I heard that the lower calorie also decrease your metabolism therefore slow down the weight loss. Good Luck.

Hi,I just got my 2nd fill today and am looking forward to getting back to losing. I am already tired of the liquid diet. I have 2.5cc but i have a smaller band. the doctor says people usually feel restriction at 2cc so i am very hopeful. I also don't have to take sips. We both must stay positive and believe everything is going to be great and before we know it we will be at our goal. Good luck.:)

Hi Dmbrn,

Are you back to solid food now? I just got my second fill today for 0.5 cc. I am also being put on liquid diet both today and tomorrow. I don't think this fill makes much difference in terms of restriction. Are you feeling restriction with your band now? Able to lose weight? Good Luck.

Hi Dmbrn,

Are you back to solid food now? I just got my second fill today for 0.5 cc. I am also being put on liquid diet both today and tomorrow. I don't think this fill makes much difference in terms of restriction. Are you feeling restriction with your band now? Able to lose weight? Good Luck.

Yes i am back on solids. i haven't wieghed yet because I had my fill on wednesday and am trying to hold off till this wed to weigh. I have felt retriction so far. Before i could eat bread and now I can't-especially plain. i did eat a piece of garlic toast but took very tiny bites. right now i feel like i did when i was first banded-which is a good thing. I just pray i continue with this restriction. i only have at least 20 pounds to lose to no longer be considered overweight. I pray daily for willpower,patience and endurance. I know it took a whole lot of years to put the weight on and it won't come off overnight. BUT BOY DO I WISH IT WOULD!!!:unsure:

Yes i am back on solids. i haven't wieghed yet because I had my fill on wednesday and am trying to hold off till this wed to weigh. I have felt retriction so far. Before i could eat bread and now I can't-especially plain. i did eat a piece of garlic toast but took very tiny bites. right now i feel like i did when i was first banded-which is a good thing. I just pray i continue with this restriction. i only have at least 20 pounds to lose to no longer be considered overweight. I pray daily for willpower,patience and endurance. I know it took a whole lot of years to put the weight on and it won't come off overnight. BUT BOY DO I WISH IT WOULD!!!:drool:

Haha, I hear you. Good luck on the last 20 lbs. I am glad that you've got restriction so far. As for me, I am also back to solid food. I could still eat large portion, but I stay full longer than after the first fill. I still have a long way to go - more than 80 lbs. Like you, I wish the 80 lbs would disappear overnight. LOL.

My answer is a bit different because I have been banded for over 7 years and have been completely unfilled twice due to difficult pregnancies (not band related, just horrible morning sickness and other complications). Before my children I had something like 7 or 8 fills before I felt what I considered really good restriction. At fill 3 or 4 I was getting sooo frustrated because my doctor was overly conservative. This was in the very early stages of the band being used in the U.S. so I think the dr.s were more apprehensive about fills. I finally ended up going to Tijuana and seeing more experienced doctors. After 2 more fills with the TJ doctors I finally had good restriction. I was a very slow loser but ended up losing over 100 lbs. I lost about 35 lbs. the first year and another 70 or so the next year and a half.

Unfortunately, I was placed on bed rest with both my pregnancies and had been unfilled which led to me to gain about 70 lbs. back :thumbup:. However, I have had 3 fills since having my daughter 9 months ago and have lost about 25 lbs.!! I just had another fill and this one seems to be quite restrictive but it's a little too early to tell yet! My fills usually relax after a week or so. Good luck to you!!

Jenn

I have always had a bit of restriction, but I made a conscious effort to lose the weight also with my diet, and exercise, knowing I don't want this to fail at all. After my 5th fill not a lot of restriction till last week then bam it's working like a charm. I can eat but very very small amounts. So I am back on track and losing. My plateau is broken. 5 lbs the past week and a half lost.

I am happy

I read your post and thought it was me that had posted. I totally know what your saying.....I just recently had my first fill 4 weeks post banding and I felt more restriction before the fill than I do now. I'm only 4 days out from the fill, by the way I got 1 cc added for a total of 4cc's. Guess I'll give it a few weeks before I call my doc.