Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little almost a year out from my surgery (April 22) and I think I'm getting hypoglycemia. I keep getting these episodes where I suddenly get nauseaus, lightheaded, kinda hot, and almost dizzy near faint. I hage never been diabetic before even at my highest weight and it does not run in my family. I know it isn't my blood pressure because I did check it and it was fine. Once I eat something, then I feel okay just weak for awhile. Has anyone experienced this?

Check with your doctor! -- your primary!

I have hypoglycemia. What they do is give you a blood glucose tolerance test. I have a mild case at this point but it will effect me if I dont eat often. In the mean time until you get tested dont eat high sugar foods. Stay away from them. Get your sugars from fruits or some juice. Also make sure your eating something every 2-3 hours. Usually all it takes is a couple swallows of fruit juice to make me feel better. Good luck and get tested. :frown:

I agree wtih Bear's advice. I've been hypolglycemic for 20 years. Mine actually improved as I was losing weight, but I have been struggling with it for the past few weeks. I hate to say it but I think it may be related to exercise.

Bear, are you working out? If so, what do you eat before working out and how close to workout time? I've started running and I eat 1/2 banana and a small protien bar and seem to do OK, but yesterday, I had one of my worst sugar drops ever. I'm still "hung over" from it today. :-(

Yes I work out all the time. I am running a lot now. About 45 mins prior to my workouts I eat a Protein Bar and something with some carbs like oatmeal. For me the key is right after my workouts I drink a Protein Shake. What I call a recovery shake. It has a banana, protein powder, soy milk, blueberries. I am usually fully recovered in about an hour or so. :frown:

wow, i totally had this happen to me 2 weeks ago. I had to get a complete unfill, and eat more often. Ill start getting a fill again in a lil bit. That 8 days where i was experiencing this scared the bee jeeezeus out of me. But my body seems to be regulating again and the episodes are not happening. Good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks Bear. I may have to try that.

I had a really bad sugar spell yesterday, probably one of my worst ever and I'm still feeling the effects of it. Can't seem to get stablized now.

I think I'll skip my run tonight and try to get back on track before my Wed run.

I have had the same symptoms and my ob doctor said I needed to eat more frequently. It was happening between 11-12 AM and is related somewhat to pregnancy.

I did do the glucose tolerance test and I passed it, but I must just be a little extra sensitive. I now keep a granola bar in my purse at all times just in case. I can feel really awful, but if I eat something semi sweet, I am normal again in 30 minutes or so. Orange juice does wonders for it.

Thanks ladies for the support! I went to the my PC doctor and my lap band doctor and they did a full blood workup on me at the lab. I am awaiting the results. I notice the other evening at the gym I was feeling faint and weak and stopped my Zumba class early. Thanks for the hints on what to eat prior and a shake after to recover. I will try that! I will let you know my results which I should have by the end of the week. Do I need to purchase a glucose monitor to know when I am low? Please advise and thanks so very much again for the support and answers!

I used to keep a glucometer and test my sugar from time to time, but the thing with hypoglycemia is that is unpredictable and testing the sugar doesn't help you establish patterns, etc. It's really only good for telling you exactly how low you are.

Hi everyone, I haven't been banded... yet. Am hvg surgery on Aug 7.

Right now tho, I am struggling with my hypoglycemia on the pre-op diet. The low calories (about 1100-1200) combined with exercise means I am always right on the brink of having my blood sugar plummet. So if for example, I miss my 10 am Protein shake I am pretty much guaranteed to have a headache or be tired in the afternoon. I work so a) I need to feel ok, and :wink2: I get stuck in meetings etc and sometimes miss my "feedings".

Did anyone else struggle with this on the pre-op diet? What worked for you

Hi everyone, I haven't been banded... yet. Am hvg surgery on Aug 7.

Right now tho, I am struggling with my hypoglycemia on the pre-op diet. The low calories (about 1100-1200) combined with exercise means I am always right on the brink of having my blood sugar plummet. So if for example, I miss my 10 am Protein shake I am pretty much guaranteed to have a headache or be tired in the afternoon. I work so a) I need to feel ok, and ^_^ I get stuck in meetings etc and sometimes miss my "feedings".

Did anyone else struggle with this on the pre-op diet? What worked for you

It's funny that I do not "crash" when I'm on low carb diets. The pre op was more mentally tough for me in wanting yet more crap that I wasn't allowed to have than crashing from not having enough sugar. I did not set out to exercise on pre op liquids because I KNEW the my cal/carb restriction would make it near impossible to function AND exercise and not starve worse that I was already. If I was hungry, I drank even if it meant going over my daily cals, but I kept my carbs below 50/day and always in ketosis. My liver had shrunk well anyway! I

My glucose tests from a few years ago revealed I'm insulin resistant (the PCOS thing). Before beginning my preop liquids, if I had myself a hearty McDonalds Breakfast (mcgriddle or bagle sandwich) I could guarantee you I'd crash in a few hours and have to eat something else to stop the shakes and cold sweats. It ain't fun. This would usually happen with any carb overload followed by nothing for a few hours.

If I'm consistant on a low carb diet, I never crash like that. I guess the crash follows a spike?

I was banded 6-29-09. I was just telling my hubby yesterday how I had not felt my sugar drop since being on a low carb diet. I also have PCOS with insulin resistance. I think we are supposed to do a low carb diet anyways, banded or not. Before surgery I would have a bad crash around 3pm and get weak dizzy spells occasionally. I love my band.^_^