Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port is hard to get into for a fill

Hi all, I looked through the other threads and didn't see this. I love me doctor and my lapband but he has a hard time getting the right spot to do the fill. I feel like a pin cushion. He went through 3 needles yesterday. The first one bent and it was painful. The next one was too long and he couldn't get it in the right place. Finally, he got the last one but I honestly think he was about to give up.

The only thing he said to me as far as why this might be so is that I have "tough/dense" scars.

Does anyone else have this issue with fills? What might it be and could I do anything to make it better?

Hi all, I looked through the other threads and didn't see this. I love me doctor and my lapband but he has a hard time getting the right spot to do the fill. I feel like a pin cushion. He went through 3 needles yesterday. The first one bent and it was painful. The next one was too long and he couldn't get it in the right place. Finally, he got the last one but I honestly think he was about to give up.

The only thing he said to me as far as why this might be so is that I have "tough/dense" scars.

Does anyone else have this issue with fills? What might it be and could I do anything to make it better?

Tutornmom,

Hey there....my first fill was fine not eventfull,my second fill however was a nightmare! The doctor could not find my port,she had to stick almost 6 or 7 times,they thought maybe it had flipped at one point.It was bad.I just had my third fill on last Tues and it was a piece of cake.The only difference for me was the second fill I had eaten Breakfast & drank coffee that morning,the other fills were first thing in the morning so my tummy was empty.I read in a lapband book that one Doc recommends pt not eating or drinking for 4 hrs prior to a fill so........not sure my doc never told me either way but that's the only thing I can figure.:tongue_smilie:

Yes. My dr has a hard time hitting my port also. i have only had three fills since I was banded May 29, 2008. One time I was filled and had to go back the next day because it was too tight. He has to use a really stiff needle on me instead of the huber needle. Sometimes it is kinda painful--it makes me not want to get fills. But I do. I live over it.

Thanks for your comments! Let me add a little to mine for clarity. Even though my doctor has a hard time, this is still not a difficult process. I would rather do this than have my teeth cleaned much less have any dental work done and I don't have any phobias about the dentist.

I have had a hard time every time I have had a fill but this one was by far the worst. The first fill he stuck the needle in and then it felt like he moved it up and down several times looking for the right place. The second fill was about the same. With the first fill, it had been at least 4 hours since I had eaten, unless I had a snack in the car that I don't remember. With the second fill, I know I ate not too long before it. With the third fill, I had read that I should go at least an hour without food before the fill so I had not eaten in about 2.5 hours. The process with this fill was the initial stick which is nothing worse than any other needle stick but then as he was working the needle up and down to find the port, the needle bent and I gasped; it was painful. He got a new needle and repeated the up and down process with no success. He got the third need and repeated the up and down process until he finally found it. During all of this up and down process, I am holding my stomach in slightly crunched position because he says that helps. I am thinking that I might work extra on my stomach muscles before I go back to see it that helps.

Thanks for your input!

I have had 9 fills and the first 7 were really hard for them to get. On average I was poke 3-6 times at a pop. They even have a port finder! Anyways.. the last 2 times voila it was easy one poke and in. I think due to having more fat there earlier on it was more difficult. But hey it's a prick and a funny sensation.. not painful. I hope it gets easier as you lose weight.

I was just searching to see if anyone was having trouble getting fills due to "scar tissue".:( I've had 4 or 5 so far that were amazingly easy - 1 needle, 1 prick in, and maybe a couple jabs and done - a matter of 1 minute!

However, this last fill last week my doctor used FIVE needles... He finally gave up and said he didn't want to put me through it anymore. So tomorrow, I'm going to the hospital to have the fill put in under x-ray. (Plus he said he would do a flourscopy xray with the drink just to check out the pouch etc. since I'll be there anyway).

I'm freakin out :lol: - I'm wondering if my port actually flipped? I can feel a huge lump - I thought that was my port... but my doctor said that what I feel is the actual scar tissue. UGH!

So - has anyone else had to do this? Has anyone had to have surgery to remove the scar tissue? :frown:

I'll post after the procedure and let you know what happened.

Brenda

I also have painful fills and unfills and my doc said it is because Johnson and Johnson bands are harder to get into. I feel your pain :frown: Being Fat ain't easy

I had the same thing happen. my surgeon used three needles and gave up. it hurt like hell and now I am sore. I left the office to take x-ray to find it or see if it had "flipped". It hadn't. No fill as of yet. There is swelling there and they had to drain it several times. I am on antibiotics. I am really upset about it. As it is really swollen now and hurts. I would like to hear from other about this port issue. I have a lot of scar tissue as well.

However, this last fill last week my doctor used FIVE needles... He finally gave up and said he didn't want to put me through it anymore. So tomorrow, I'm going to the hospital to have the fill put in under x-ray. (Plus he said he would do a flourscopy xray with the drink just to check out the pouch etc. since I'll be there anyway).

I'll post after the procedure and let you know what happened.

Brenda

OK - Good NEWS! :tongue_smilie: Under flouroscopy x-ray, Dr. S was able to get the needle in the port on the 2nd poke. It was simple and easy. He said the port appeared to have moved slightly. Now he enters right near my scar. The lump I feel is actually scar tissue, and that is to the right of my scar.

He made a note in his records - so if I need another fill, he will be able to find it!

Brenda

OMG!!! I went in today to get a fill and the same thing happen to me except he did give up. Told me my port flipped and I would have to go back into surgery to get a port revision. Needless to say this is my second revision I'm so upset, dissapointed and confused. I don't know what to do any advise??????

OMG!!! I went in today to get a fill and the same thing happen to me except he did give up. Told me my port flipped and I would have to go back into surgery to get a port revision. Needless to say this is my second revision I'm so upset, dissapointed and confused. I don't know what to do any advise??????

did u take an xray. I did and it was not flipped. I do have a lot of scar tissue and the port is right beneath the port. I felt like you did no more surgery.

Hi all - I had to post because I have had a difficult time with every fill I've had (although there have only been 3 or 4). I have the same PA every time and she is great - I love her, but she can never find the port exactly right. And after the second time when I came very close to passing out in her office, she decided that it would be easier for everyone involved if I get my fills done with the x-ray from now on. The last time after quite a few failed attempts, she had me go to x-ray and I was a wreck (after the failed attempts and pain and all - plus I am a huge baby!). But I got in there and they did the fill and it was MUCH easier because he got it on the first try because they could actually see it. And I was worried about the port flipping or something too, but it wasn't. It is just hard to feel exactly where the port is under all that fat, etc. Now I have lost a lot more weight than last time and you can actually see the little bump on my tummy where the port is, so I hope that this next fill (coming soon) will be a lot easier. The doctor also assured me that had the port actually been flipped, it still would have been a relatively easy thing to repair - it is even an out patient thing, so no overnight stays. I have a blog entry with the more specific information about the fill should you want more details, but I feel all of your pain and wanted to let you know that there is some hope! Good luck!!

Hi everyone, I had my first fill March 11 and my doc had a tough time finding my port as well. I had about 12 pokes before he finally sent me to x-ray and my port was fine and he found it and got the fill done with relatively little trouble (still more than one poke however). The original 12 pokes were terribly painful (and I am NOT a baby, I am usually very tough). I am dreading my next fill on April 22, although he assured me he would not have this problem this next time. I had not eaten since the night before (my appt. was 9:00 a.m.) so that didn't have anything to do with my problems. Most of my fat is in my belly, however, so maybe that is part of the problem. The day after the incident, I had terrible pain in my abs, like I had right after surgery. I'm sure it was from tightening those muscles during each attempt. I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. Also, Healthy4life, before I'd have any surgery, I'd demand an x-ray to make sure my port indeed has flipped. Linda

Ok. I went in for my first fill yesterday.

I was under the fluoroscope. She bent 3 needles. And then said I must have some "scar tissue". She then scheduled me for 2 day later (tomorrow) with another person that she said had more experience with the Realize band port.

I could see the lack of confidence in her- as if this had happened before.

I was thinking that the scope gives a 2 dimensional view and maybe it was difficult because of the angle I was laying down/angle of the needle. The last time, I did feel like she went off the side of the port.

Any suggestions from the experts.

Yes, my surgeon still had problems on the second try but was able to get the fill done after a few errant sticks. I go in tomorrow for another fill. I hope everything works out for the better.:)