Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:tongue_smilie::frown:

Hi everyone,

I just found out that my job is going to lay off people, we will know something by the end of next week. They are dismissing people from every unit of our hospital. It's most likely the people that are laid off will not return to work after May1st.

Just Great right when all I have to do next is do my history and physical on April 2nd. So if I am one of those unlucky people then I won't be having surgery, because it will take sometime for everyone to turn their paperwork in to the DR so that he can turn it all in to the insurance co.

Please pray for me that I am able to keep my job and that I will be able to have my surgery.

Is there any one else going thru something similar to me?

Are you going to be on a partial layoff, where u will be laid off for a short time and go back to work, or a Full Layoff?

I know what ur going through. I have been on partial layoff since last October, working a week or 2 then being laid off for 2. But, when ur on partial u keep your insurance coverage, just when you go back they double up on ur premiums.

I explained what was going on with my surgeon and they expedited everything for me. The day I called my insurance co to see if I was approved, my Dr did too and had me scheduled for surgery 5 days later.

Maybe if you talk to who is in charge of scheduling your appts they can speed things up for you. Good Luck!

Edited by 1RockinMom

Hello, I had a fear of being laid off also, but so far I'm ok. My surgery date is April 16th. My company just did a re-org they say to avoid layoffs. Only a few people got let go. One of the doctor's office that I looked into for surgery told me if they lay you off try to take the cobra long enough to get the surgery

even though it would be expensive it would be cheaper than paying cash for the surgery. Hope all goes well for you.

Obama's new plan for COBRA will reduce the premium by 65% for laid off workers. I was laid off in January but am on COBRA and still hopeful that I will be banded sometime this summer. It may not be as bad as you think!

I was laid off from my job when I was 3 months into my 6 month medically supervised diet. My only choice was to continue paying the full insurance premium myself ($885.00) which I have done. COBRA is very expensive! I hope Obama's decision changes things soon. At any rate, there were no glitches in my insurance plan and things went smoothly.

Maybe a little bit of hope. As an HR Manager, I can tell you that the COBRA stimulus package has been approved and has started! If you were laid off or involuntarily discharged (stipulations on "involutarily discharged) from 9/1-present, you are qualified for the COBRA stimulus package. Which will reduce your COBRA premiums by 65%! Depending on your employer, you can also elect another insurance package (if your employer offered other choices. For example, if you chose an HMO while employed, but they also offered PPO programs that cost much less, you could opt for the lower cost insurance). This would likely make the cost of insurance LESS that what you were paying while employed. There coverage is for 9 months, so if you are doing any sort of 6 month program, something to keep in mind. Hope that helps!

We've looked into this too because DH's co. is about to do major layoffs. Fortunately even if that happens part of the layoff deal would continue health coverage for several months (I'm an April band). I just wanted to ditto the above that no matter what happens you start making phone calls now to expidite the paperwork and talk to the surgeon's office. Good luck to you! -BG

Maybe a little bit of hope. Which will reduce your COBRA premiums by 65%! Depending on your employer, you can also elect another insurance package (if your employer offered other choices.

I was thrilled when this news first came out about a month ago, and called the HR contact at my ex-employer. She agrees that this was approved, but has no idea when it may be implemented. There appears to be no "teeth" in this plan - what will make employers comply? I haven't seen a nickel discounted yet.

As an HR person can you tell me how to actually get this?

Many thanks!!

Thank you all for your responses, I will definately call the surgeon's office and see what can be done, and I will call the HR department and ask about the Cobra Stimulus Package. We will know by this week whether or not we are losing our jobs. It is a full layoff not a partial. Those that are layed off their last day of working will be the last day of April. I am praying that I keep my job, you all gave me some hope, that even if I lose my job there is still hope and I can still pursue my much needed surgery.

Thank you all for your support.

Edited by beautiful mariposa