Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some GOOD Direction!! At Restriction!!

Ok - finally I am at restriction. I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic on 10/29/08. First fill 12/01/08 3cc. Then 12/28 2cc - still not at restriction. Went in on 2/11 and the Doc put in another 1.75 cc - and then I could feel it! Obviously right after a fill you have to be on liquids then mushies - so I lost 5 lbs fast. But then of course when I started eating food - I ended up only losing 2 lbs by the next weigh in. So 5 days ago they put in another.4cc and it was tighter. Could feel it even more and now am not eating to awful much. In the morning the restriction is the tightest and loosens up more during the day - is this normal? Second - I want a good diet to follow - where can I find one. And third - I am now understanding how very important EXERCISE is to the success of the band. The weight does not just fall off like with the big Gastric Bypass. I JUST WANT TO SUCCEED DAMMIT!!! My resting metabolism is 2500 calories a day I am supposed to burn - so that is if I laid down all day and did nothing. I am not eating more than 1200 calories a day at most if that. I just need to get on the DOWN ward weight spiral. I know there are so many of you that have succeeded at this and I want to be one of you!

Also - where do you get the cool lil weight sliders to add to your posts. I have lost 20 lbs and turned my diabetes around in the last 4 months since my surgery. SO that is positive - I just want this other 100lbs OFF!

Any and all help WANTED and appreciated!

MollyAnne

hang in there! i was banded on june 23rd 2008. and it has been a slow process. it was not until my 8th fill that the restriction and weight has come off. i have lost about 60lbs. so far. if i can lose another 60 i will be very happy. i try to eat the foods i like..however focusing on Protein firt..and much smaller portions. excise has been my enemy, but i am not giving myself a hard time about it.. remember it took a long time to get the weight off...so i am happy with being rid of 60 lbs.... :-) and for the sliders go to tickerfactory.com

In the morning the restriction is the tightest and loosens up more during the day - is this normal?

Yup. Very common with quite a few of us. Don't forget that Breakfast is the most important meal (gets that metabolism up and running), so don't skip it. If you find that Breakfast is difficult because of band tightness, try sipping some hot tea or coffee 30 mins (or however your doc wants) before you eat.

Second - I want a good diet to follow - where can I find one.

Ok, I'm pretty radical on this point. We don't need a diet, per se. Diets fail. What you need is to eat healthy meals (plenty of lean Protein and vegatables) in bandster portions. Once you really get that scale moving, there's even room for the occasional treat! Take that, diets! lol

And third - I am now understanding how very important EXERCISE is to the success of the band.

Yes indeedy. Exercise is perhaps the MOST important aspect of having a band. Remember, cardio burns fat that's already on your body while resistance training builds lean muscle to pump up your metabolism.

Also - where do you get the cool lil weight sliders to add to your posts.

Click on mine. That'll take you to the tickerfactory. Then, follow directions from there regarding putting in your information. Once you have it like you want it, go to your "user CP" tab (for me, it's in the upper left hand corner directly underneath the pics of the people at the top of the home page), go to "edit signature" and cut and paste the tickerfactory into your signature. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Holler if you can't figure it out. Good luck!

Thanks guys! The problem with me is that I am not eating that much food and not losing. I will be honest and say that at night - sometimes I get into the Peanut Butter - stress!!! I am goint to not buy it anymore. It goes down to easy and tastes to good - and is my one comfort food. It is just at restriction I thought that it would just fall off - and it is not!! The doctor said that if I am not at my "perfect" band fill I am close - and I agree. I am just so ready to see the scale go down!!!!!

weight.png

Molly,

Congrats on your weight loss so far, you WILL suceed.

You are right, I am always tighter after I first get up. Like someones stated.. I drink hot tea or coffy for an hour or so before I even think about eating breakfast. If at that point you still are real tight, try a Protein Drink.

As far as a diet, I pesonally do not follow one, nor do I count calories,carbs or any of that.. I did that for 30+ years... not doing it anymore. I just eat my Protein first, then my veggies, then some fruit. I eat alot of cottage cheese for Protein and egg salad also.At the begining after banding, I stayed clear of all and any carbs. breads, pastas, potatoes.. ect. no sweets. I am slowly adding this in since I am closer to goal.

As far as exercise,, I did not do hardly any... so sad to say.. I still lost the weight, BUTTTT, would I not be so flabby if I had???????

Take one day at a time, Reward your self on goals...ie.. 50 lbs lost.. under 200lbs.. 75 lbs lost.. ect...

Keep a set of clothing from the begining, and take pictures of yourself monthly...

You can and will do it.

Lois

Thanks guys! The problem with me is that I am not eating that much food and not losing. I will be honest and say that at night - sometimes I get into the Peanut Butter - stress!!! I am goint to not buy it anymore. It goes down to easy and tastes to good - and is my one comfort food. It is just at restriction I thought that it would just fall off - and it is not!! The doctor said that if I am not at my "perfect" band fill I am close - and I agree. I am just so ready to see the scale go down!!!!!

weight.png

Hey Molly Anne! I am still pretty early in my journey, but i have found that when my weight stalled, I had to start exercising...fo sho! I decided I would do my first 5k April 5th. I am walking it...but for a girl who would drive 2 blocks instead of walking it (before band), it will be a huge accomplishment. Anyway, I started with a mile, and added .5 miles each week. Now I am up to 3 miles. We have a really pretty place to walk along the Water...so at least its a nice view...ANYWAYS (I ramble). What I am trying to say is walking is free and isnt THAT bad. I did do yoga the other day at a yoga studio in town and i LOVED that! So get moving and maybe that will help!

I still plateau for a week or so with working out...but it helps.

Thanks for this post! I am with you! I am close to a good amount of restriction, but not quite there. I am still able to eat quite a bit. I try not too. I have had a tough week or two trying hard to be "good". Hopefully when I have my next fill on the 30th, I will help be stick with the diet better. It is just soo hard without good restriction. I have horrible will power, that's why i'm here. Good luck Molly, keep us posted.

Ok - finally I am at restriction. I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic on 10/29/08. First fill 12/01/08 3cc. Then 12/28 2cc - still not at restriction. Went in on 2/11 and the Doc put in another 1.75 cc - and then I could feel it! Obviously right after a fill you have to be on liquids then mushies - so I lost 5 lbs fast. But then of course when I started eating food - I ended up only losing 2 lbs by the next weigh in. So 5 days ago they put in another.4cc and it was tighter. Could feel it even more and now am not eating to awful much. In the morning the restriction is the tightest and loosens up more during the day - is this normal? Second - I want a good diet to follow - where can I find one. And third - I am now understanding how very important EXERCISE is to the success of the band. The weight does not just fall off like with the big Gastric Bypass. I JUST WANT TO SUCCEED DAMMIT!!! My resting metabolism is 2500 calories a day I am supposed to burn - so that is if I laid down all day and did nothing. I am not eating more than 1200 calories a day at most if that. I just need to get on the DOWN ward weight spiral. I know there are so many of you that have succeeded at this and I want to be one of you!

Also - where do you get the cool lil weight sliders to add to your posts. I have lost 20 lbs and turned my diabetes around in the last 4 months since my surgery. SO that is positive - I just want this other 100lbs OFF!

Any and all help WANTED and appreciated!

MollyAnne

Exercise is what really speeds things up. We have lots of reasons for overeating, (Ghrelin, emotional, biological, etc.) but we really have no excuse for not exercising.

Exercise is key, keep moving, do hard cardio, make it work!

Hello out there.....not good at posting, really more of a voyeur, but this thread struck me....cuz i'm in the same boat. Banded in July 2008, down about 30 lbs and stagnant. I know WHAT to do, just a constant struggle to get out of my own way and DO it.

i'm also pretty convinced I haven't found the sweet spot ye.

It gives me hope and confidence to hear you all talk about your success. I want to, but need to break it down into moments, the big picture is too big. So today: I exercised this morning. I have eaten well today. I have listened to my body tell me when I've had enough. I will continue this path today.

Geez, sounds like a really long mantra.....would appreciate thoughts or feedback on how you all make it through the day with temptation all around cuz, yes, chocolate goes through nice and easy!!!!

I think we are very much in the same boat! I have a 10cc band and have only lost a total of 20 lbs and that is counting pre-op diet as well. I have had 4 fills (and one reduction...he put in 2cc last month and had to take one back ..I couldn't even swallow water! I lost 7lbs in 48 hours) I got .5cc in yesterday...have a hard time eating much of anything so I am hoping this will work. I am at the gym no less than 3 days a week working my butt off ..for 20 lbs....Argh!! Frustrated right now! VERY frustrated!

Sunny, thanks for sharing....we can't possibly be the only ones out there who have not experienced euphoric, staggering weight loss. We didn't get big because we were any good at eating the right things at the proper time. Indeed, I'm the one stashing chocolate covered potato chips under my mattress so I can eat them secretly when no one is looking!!! (ok, its not that bad).

My point is: I have not successfully flipped a switch and turned off all the bad behaviors. It takes commitment and work and SUPPORT to make that happen. I have found more information out here from people's everyday experience than from the medical providers who performed my surgery.

Interestingly, the "aftercare" folks looked at me like I was godzilla when I talked about the behavior of eating. I've been extremely disappointed at the lack of knowledge that the aftercare staff had regarding the band and how it works. The aftercare program looks very very much like the bazillion eating plans I've been on my whole life.

I look forward to hear from more of you....

My after care people were pretty good....could have been more informed but over all not too bad. Most do not know what got us to this point in our weight gain...most will never understand how it took us over and got the best of us. Which in turn means they will never understand how hard we will have to work to get it back off...but we will and we can be proud for doing that. It isn't easy at all....I am struggling big time. No magic bullet here that is for sure. I did think I would lose better than this so over all I am pretty disappointed with the process. But at least I am no longer gaining weight so I guess that is a bonus. We will see how it goes. I have to say though that if my results are not better in 1 to 2 more years I will have this removed. Assuming I continue to work out and watch my diet with no success! But once I hit the sweet spot I should see some improvement, at least that is what the doc says. I am hopeful J