Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

snacks or no snacks.... that is the question

So here is my problem.....

Before the Lap-Band surgery i was on the diet from Sept. to Dec. I went from 469 to 410 up until Surgery day. After the surgery, i am on the 3 meal only per day.... it is 3 months so far, and I'm down to 365, which is really good, but i've been in the 360's for about 3 weeks now...

My 2nd fill is coming up, but my question is:

Did anyone seem to burn weight faster when having 3 meals and 2 Snacks per day, rather than the 3 meal only diet? It sure seems like it for me.... so I'm kinda wondering if anyone out there does 2 Snacks per day?

Thanks for your time and help.

Well, technically it speeds up your metabolism to eat smaller meals more often. But I think there's more to it than that.

I really struggle to stop eating once I start. I like to eat till I'm good and satisfied so for me, if I snack I tend to overeat. I do better and I lose better on a 3 meal a day regime.

I do even better if I skip Breakfast - it seems to stop me ever really getting hungry and I do lose weight, but I know its bad for you so I do ensure I eat breakie. But I dont snack.

At the end of the day its calories in v calories out, and anything else only really can give you a minor metabolic advantage. So I'd do what suits you best.

I find I lose more weight if I eat a sensible healthy diet and I like to include some fruit and a few nuts and seeds in my diet. They only way I can do this is to have it as Snacks and it hasn't slowed up my weight loss, quite the reverse as I have lost 70lbs since last August.

If it works for you, then carry on as you are. As Jachut says, some people can't stop eating if they have a snack but for others it is part of your routine.

Sue

I know it's a very individual choice...so whatever seems to work best for you is probably what you should do.

For me, I eat 2 meals and 2 Snacks a day...roughly. Mind you, I don't count calories or Protein grams and I don't write down what I eat. To me, this isn't a diet...it's my life.

Anyway...I have coffee or tea with milk in the morning. I fill a big mug half way with the hot drink and the rest of the way with skim milk. With the cup I use, it's about 1 cup of each. The cold milk cools down the hot drink enough that I can drink it right away (I don't like really hot drinks).

I eat lunch between 11 and 12. Controlling portions isn't a big problem...I literally can't eat more than a cup of food in one sitting.

I have a snack around 3pm and dinner around 6pm. The snack is usually small - almonds, most of an apple, carrots, etc.

What I've found MOST beneficial for me is drinking TONS of Water. Granted, tons is actually about 60 oz a day, but compared to what I drank before...it's a lot. I feel much more energetic and healthier. Granted, some of that may be the 56 pounds I've lost... :lunch:

For me personally I started with three meals and two Snacks a day. I would use the Snacks to get in some of my Protein. These days I do good to eat one of my snacks, still some source of protein...usually about 10 almonds. I do watch my calories, but not everyday. I monitor them from time to time to see how many I am eating.

I found that if I do not eat enough calories then I do not lose weight, my body thinks it is going into starvation mode so it holds on to everything. When I eat 1000-1200 calories a day I lose 1-2 lbs a week. BUT AGAIN THAT IS JUST MY BODY. Some people eat way less than that and some way more.

I just did some experimenting with calorie intake to see what worked best for me. Sometimes that experimenting will slow down weight loss, but to me this was a lifetime decision. So I am willing to slow things down for a few weeks to find out what is best for my body.

Just like Jachut said, at the end of the day it is about calories in vs calories out.

I lose faster when I don't stick to meals. I am not a model bandster though I am sure. But in my experience... I stuck to the 3 meals a day for about the first 5 months and only lost about 1/4 of the 111 I wanted to lose. I then got more fills and my restriction was too much to eat a full 3 meals and get enough Protein. I now eat a tiny Breakfast, handful of nuts around 10am , lunch around 1230, dinner around 5pm and then more nuts or a sugar free pudding etc in the evening.

I lost about 65lbs since changing it up and I am about 21lbs from goal. I am at a little standstill for the last couple weeks but thats expected since I don't have alot more to go.

Always take the advice of your doctor though.