Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant after lap-band?

I'm thinking ahead - we may want to have a second child someday (in the not-too-distant future, as I'm not getting any younger! :( ), and I was wondering if anyone on here has gotten pregnant after being banded. I'd love to hear about your experience!

I haven't been banded yet but I can answer this. Yes you can get pregnant after the band. Most doctors recommend that you wait at least 18 months after getting banded. There is a girl on Spotlight Health that got pregnant 2 months after being banded. I spoke with my OB/GYN about it and he said the reason you should wait is because after any WLS your body is in starvation mode for a while. Plus in my case my OB/GYN suggested getting about 100 lbs. off before I become pregnant. I have hypoglicema and by losing weight it could go away and lesson the chance of gestational diabeties. With the band if you have any fills in your band you can have it all taken out for your pregancy so you can eat more for the baby. I hope this answered your questions.

Thanks, Cathy! :( I knew that I could get pregnant after the band, I just don't know anyone who actually *has*. It would be nice to hear from someone who's been pregnant with the band, so I'd have an idea of what the experience might be like. I'd heard to wait at least a year before getting pregnant, and I'm surely waiting until I'm at a much healthier weight. I had pregnancy-induced hypertension with my son, and I'm at higher risk for it since I've had it once already. So I won't take any chances of getting pregnant at this weight - no telling how bad it would be the second time around!

Hi Bunkie!

Yes, Jenny on Spotlight got pregnant at 2 months out and she is now about 6 months along. She is doing really well! The baby is healthy and she is doing good.

So it can be done without a hitch.

There have been a number of women that have had successful pregnancies with the band......one was pregnant and her doctor never even let her fill out....she was still eating enough and the baby was thriving.

There is a pregnant band group.....only a few members...But they may have something great to say! you never know!!

I also hope to have baby#3 after some of my loss......I dont want to spread mine out in age too far..... I dont have a problem conceiving....last one was conceived at 271 lbs......but I want my band and tummy to heal before we it happens....

Greatest of luck to you!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lap-band-preg/

Becca:Bunny

Guest CelineDoll

Hi, I just wanted to share that I am pregnant as we speak and am due in about a month! I've done VERY well and I chose not to have ANY fill removed. I had/have 2.5cc and have been able to eat a sufficient amount to allow my baby to grow into a healthy little girl and me not gain 80+ lbs like usual!! As of today, I've only put on 18 lbs and am VERY happy about that! I only had the band 4 months when I found out I was pregnant, much to my COMPLETE shock!! I'd worked VERY hard to get pregnant with my last two babies and never imagined that I would ever be "surprised" by a baby! LOL Anyway, I am very eager to meet my little princess soon and just wanted to say that YES, you can certainly have another baby! :-)

Celine

9/3/02

Dr Geiss LI, NY

299/239/ but back up to 257 for the moment...

Baby girl due 9/1/03

:( Congratulations on your soon to be bundle of joy!! I was lucky with my pregnancies....only gained about 8 lbs with each baby.....starting at about the 7th month....last one was over 9 lbs 2 weeks early.....Hope you have a nice sized healthy baby!!

They say thats one thing to be careful of with the weight loss....is that no matter what form of birth control you are on.....supply a 2nd.....because the loss of weight and the change in hormones will override any birthcontrol........turn ya into fertile myrtles...lol....

I cant wait for #3......but it better not be 11lbs.....they say they usually have the same weight jump differences as siblings.....i went from 7.5 lbs.....to 9.5 lbs.......I dont want to deliver an 11lb baby!!!LOL :paranoid

Greatest of luck to those that are expecting....and greatest of luck to those trying!

Becca

Guest Cherjr

I'm on a real good insurance that covers the surgery, but I'm not sure how long after the baby is born I will beable to keep the insurance so I want to have the surgery done as soon as I can has any one had it done while breast feeding or breast feed with one?

Thanks,

Cher

This kind of goes along these lines. I was wondering if those of you with fertility issues found that things improved once you started losing the weight?

It is good to see that those of you who did and are pregnant have coped a lot better with it all. Gives me some hope.

Thanks

Guest CelineDoll

Originally posted by Cherjr

I'm on a real good insurance that covers the surgery, but I'm not sure how long after the baby is born I will beable to keep the insurance so I want to have the surgery done as soon as I can has any one had it done while breast feeding or breast feed with one?

Thanks,

Cher

Well, I don't know how soon you are talking about, but my youngest was 3 1/2 months old when I got my band put in and I had JUST stopped breast feeding. I knew I was getting the band and made the choice to stop B/F thinking I wouldn't be able to eat enough to sustain it. I regretted it afterward because I realized that it was completely unnecessary. You don't just stop eating when you get the band, as I thought. There was a good 8 weeks before I even had enough restriction (with the help of fills) before I could say my diet MIGHT be affecting my milk. I should have just continued, but I didn't know. With this baby, I will definitely breast feed for as long as she wants! :-)

Thanks, everyone, for the posts! Good to hear actual success stories!

Celine, congrats on your pregnancy - your little one will be here just about any day now, right? :(

Originally posted by sassyangelic1

They say thats one thing to be careful of with the weight loss....is that no matter what form of birth control you are on.....supply a 2nd.....because the loss of weight and the change in hormones will override any birthcontrol........turn ya into fertile myrtles...lol....

Wouldn't that be a trick to turn ME into a fertile myrtle?! :) It took us a year and a half to conceive our son with the help of infertility treatments and IUI - my DH is rocket man, I'm a hormonal wreck. So if we do decide we want another child and the weight loss improves my chances at conception, that's just another added benefit of the band! :D

Guest cdelloro

I know a woman at my doctors office who is 5 months pregnant. My Doc was Dr. Elmer Valin in New Haven, CT. Great guy. Anyway you can find her on his message board and get her email from there.