Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is alcohol gone for good?

I am curious if all alcohol consumption is forbidden after you've had surgery. If after 6 months post op are you allowed to have a couple sips? I know a whole cocktail is not possible. But a couple sips?

Why would a whole cocktail not be possible? Initially you avoid it because you are healing. AND it is empty calories...but you can drink. Just nothing carbonated.

I regularly have wine at dinner. Just a glass but I don't consider alcohol taboo. But Restless Mokey is right - they are empty calories, so I try not to have too much.

In the mens room there is a thread where people are posting what they still cocktail with. Some are even still drinking beer. One thing to remember though is with less food in your system it might hit harder then it used to.

Thanks for the info. I am not a heavy drinker anyway but I am glad to know I can have a cocktail once in a while when socializing.:laugh:

Understandable...if you select the right cocktail you can make it last all night. When my other half and I go out only one drinks usually not me. A bartender friend got me started drinking bourbon on the rocks I can nurse it for several hours and keeps everyone happy that I'm not missing out. I'm PreOp but glad that I can have a drink now and then after surgery.

Edited by JayTee562
typo

So what about us heavy drinkers. I don't want to sound like an alcoholic but I do some serious partying on occasion. Obviously carbonation is a problem but is there anything else about alcohol that causes issues?

Basically I want to know if I will have a problem getting buzzed up at parties.

beer is out

but I was told wine and a mixed drink is okay

do not mix alcohol with a coke or sprite

beer is out

but I was told wine and a mixed drink is okay

do not mix alcohol with a coke or sprite

I might need to learn to like flat beer if that's possible. My cousing who is banded told me she has a little soda on occassion though.

before being banded i loved a glass of wine or 2 or 3.. but now im struggling to drink 1, im not really liking the taste of it now (how weird is that?)..

a cocktail sounds much nicer :)

Look at you debbie girl!!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!! and still no fill....Congrats on your success....:)

aww ty jay, no one is more shocked/happy than i am, I keep trying my new size clothes on, even though my body is shrinking, my mind is still thinking big, its so weird but im not letting it get to me :)

I have some questions relating to alcohol AND cigarettes. :)

I don't want to sound alcoholic, but one of my ways of releasing stress is a night out drinking chatting with friends.

I don't drink beer, but I drink coolers, cocktails or shooters.

Coolers like Bicardi pineapple...

Can I have like 3 coolers in one night once a month or something? :smile2:

I am an occasional smoker, smoke once/twice a day, or none a day. When I drink alcohol I tend to smoke more, but I'm going to limit my drinking and going out after being banded, so I'll only drink about once a month (if that's allowed).

Do i have to quit smoking? Is 3 coolers one night "allowed"?

Did anyone go through the same thing? :frown:

I'm having consultation with my surgeon May 1st this friday :biggrin:

If things go well, I'll be on Meditrim and get ready to get banded within the next 2, 3 weeks.

I have some questions relating to alcohol AND cigarettes. :thumbup:

I am an occasional smoker, smoke once/twice a day, or none a day. When I drink alcohol I tend to smoke more, but I'm going to limit my drinking and going out after being banded, so I'll only drink about once a month (if that's allowed).

Do i have to quit smoking? Is 3 coolers one night "allowed"?

Did anyone go through the same thing? :laugh:

I'm having consultation with my surgeon May 1st this friday :ohmy:

If things go well, I'll be on Meditrim and get ready to get banded within the next 2, 3 weeks.

If you don't smoke regulary I would suggest not even telling your surgeon. The only reason I say this is because my surgeon requires me to be smoke free for 2 months before I can get anything started. I am not telling you to be deceitful but you if you don't smoke as much then it shouldn't be hard for you to stop. If he says you have to be smoke free I would just stop all together until after surgery. I quit smoking Apr. 6th. I have to take a nictein test to prove that I haven't smoked. Even though nicotein only stays in your system for 48 hours. I am just way to happy now and don't plan on starting again. Jennifer

Nicotine may be gone but by products (like conitine) remain for weeks.

If you smoke, tell your doc. Tell him how much. He can determine if you're at risk or not.

And if he wants you to quit totally, do that...

you don't want to not get surgery because of that.

OR get surgery and have issues with anesthesia because of smoking. (even one cigarette can mess that up)

So you're safest to tell your surgeon and see what he says. Please realize he's not your daddy or the boss of you! LOL You will tell so that the two of you can determine your healthiest course, not so he can fuss at you for an occasional cigarette.