Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm Overfilled! Help

My husband was banded Nov 07 but didn't get his first fill for a year. (He thought if he took it really slow, he wouldn't have saggy skin) He got his first fill in November and it went smooth. He got another fill from a different fill center on Monday. Things went ok when he ate Monday but on Tuesday he can't eat or drink with out it coming up. He thinks his meds might of gotten stuck. It is especially worse when he lays down. Anyone ever experience that? We are going to call the fill center tomorrow.

I think your husband needs a slight unfill. If he can't swallow fluids, he can dehydrate in 24 hours. Have him get an unfill, let it rest for a week or two and then get small fills after that.

My son never had a fill in his 10cc band. He did not follow the rules, small bites, chew, chew, chew, no drinking with meals. Yes he lost 190 pounds, but he also ended up losing his band. Follow the rules, take it easy on the fills and you should do fine.

I think your husband needs a slight unfill. If he can't swallow fluids, he can dehydrate in 24 hours. Have him get an unfill, let it rest for a week or two and then get small fills after that.

My son never had a fill in his 10cc band. He did not follow the rules, small bites, chew, chew, chew, no drinking with meals. Yes he lost 190 pounds, but he also ended up losing his band. Follow the rules, take it easy on the fills and you should do fine.

Why did he lose his band? Did he destroy it somehow with his bad habits? Please elaborate. With all the PB ing that I have done I wondered if I did some kind of damage to my band. It still restricts, but sometimes looser, sometimes tighter.

If he never got fills, then what caused him to lose his band? How long ago was that and how is he now?

My husband was banded Nov 07 but didn't get his first fill for a year. (He thought if he took it really slow, he wouldn't have saggy skin) He got his first fill in November and it went smooth. He got another fill from a different fill center on Monday. Things went ok when he ate Monday but on Tuesday he can't eat or drink with out it coming up. He thinks his meds might of gotten stuck. It is especially worse when he lays down. Anyone ever experience that? We are going to call the fill center tomorrow.

If he can't get fluids down at all then he definitely needs a bit of an unfill. However, if the fluids will go down when he is not eating any solids . . . sticking to only fluids (pb'ing can cause stomach swelling making it worse) and they go down ok for two days and he can progress to mushies and then solids, he might just be OK. If he is anything like me, if something (like meds) gets really stuck, it takes a little time for my stomach to recover.

Another thing that helps is liquid ibuprofen (children's motrin works and is easy to find everywhere) because it reduces the swelling in the stomach.

However, ibuprofen is on the do not use list for most bandsters and I am only allowed to have it on a very limited basis for this purpose. I wouldn't suggest taking it without calling the doctor first . . . but it does work wonderfully for this purpose.

I hope he feels better soon.

My son's band was tight right off from surgery. He refused to follow the rules. He ate, threw up, ate, threw up, etc. The last 6 months, he threw up every day, multiple times. It got so he could not eat at all until late in the day, not even fluids.

We think his band slipped in May, but when we got to the surgeon, it was back down and he could eat again. Nov, Dec, Jan, he was back to throwing up all day. We went back to Mexico for vacation in January of this year. 4 days in the heat and throwing up, he got really dehydrated. It turned into an emergency surgery to remove the band. The doctor could have repositioned it and may be loosened it up, but my son just wanted it out. Unfortunately, he has gained back 25 pounds. He is 6ft 4inches and at 220, he was pretty gaunt. He got laid off of work in construction, so he is getting zero exercise. I hope his fiance will get him moving again soon.

He still has some restriction, even without the band. bread is hard to eat, so that is something. I think down the road he will get another band, but the last year was pretty traumatic. I think he needs one of those AP large bands that hold 14ccs. Unfortunately, Mexico doesn't have them.

Being too tight is dangerous. It definitely causes problem. It may not cause problems immediately, but it's a big stress on the esophagus. I am surprised more people are not getting the sleeve. No issues with being too tight or too lose.

Anyone who throws up often should consider an unfill. Having the smallest amount removed makes a huge difference. It could be the deciding factor on whether or not you get to keep your band long term.

Being too tight is dangerous. It definitely causes problem. It may not cause problems immediately, but it's a big stress on the esophagus. I am surprised more people are not getting the sleeve. No issues with being too tight or too lose.

Anyone who throws up often should consider an unfill. Having the smallest amount removed makes a huge difference. It could be the deciding factor on whether or not you get to keep your band long term.

Well, I am convinced at this point that the inconsistency of my band (looser sometimes and tighter othertimes) is due to the fact I haven't let it fully recover from my PB's and I need it to calm down because it is probably swollen still. So I will stay with liquids today, and liquids and mushies tommorow and then see where I am at. I sure don't want to damage my band long-term.

My son's band was tight right off from surgery. He refused to follow the rules. He ate, threw up, ate, threw up, etc. The last 6 months, he threw up every day, multiple times. It got so he could not eat at all until late in the day, not even fluids.

We think his band slipped in May, but when we got to the surgeon, it was back down and he could eat again. Nov, Dec, Jan, he was back to throwing up all day. We went back to Mexico for vacation in January of this year. 4 days in the heat and throwing up, he got really dehydrated. It turned into an emergency surgery to remove the band. The doctor could have repositioned it and may be loosened it up, but my son just wanted it out. Unfortunately, he has gained back 25 pounds. He is 6ft 4inches and at 220, he was pretty gaunt. He got laid off of work in construction, so he is getting zero exercise. I hope his fiance will get him moving again soon.

He still has some restriction, even without the band. bread is hard to eat, so that is something. I think down the road he will get another band, but the last year was pretty traumatic. I think he needs one of those AP large bands that hold 14ccs. Unfortunately, Mexico doesn't have them.

I don't think rebanding will help if he refused to follow the rules. Banding can defiitely be traumatic if you are spending your days continuously eating and vomiting. Even with a larger band . . . when compliance isn't there he might just be asking for trouble. Perhaps if he decides to go with WLS again, the sleeve might be a better option.

However, I think there is no perfect WLS option if you don't follow some basic rules. Non-compliance can be a much greater risk then remaining as is without WLS. He needs to either be ready to make a change and truly commit or there is no point in moving forward.

Your right about the rules. If you won't follow them, don't get the band. You should stop eating as soon as you have a PB. Not go back and try to eat again. Also, your next few meals should be liquids to let the swelling and irritation from throwing up go down.

Sometimes people tighten up due to stress, altitude changes, period, what ever. When that happens, go back to liquids for awhile, it can't hurt. I know I tightened up 6 months after a fill so bad I had to get fill taken out. I know lots of people who as they get closer to their goal weight, need less fill for some reason.

They don't call it the Fickel Bitch for nothing!