Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions of a gym snob

I confess, I am a gym snob. Those that know me on here know this about me. I get easily irritated by people in the gym.

I'm not saying that others do not deserve to workout and better themselves. By no means am I that big of an asshole......ok, maybe I am:wink:.

However, it is people that use the equipment improperly, or do one set every 10 minutes while they socialize. Or, worse yet, they take down the weights others have been using without checking to make sure someone is not just getting a drink or are doing a superset.

I have always lifted weights, that was never my problem. My problem was I thought that was enough. I hated cardio, HATED IT!!!!!!! So, it is not like I am new to these feelings or come to them just recently. I've always had them at the gym.

I will admit alot of the problem comes from within myself. When I am lifting, my blood gets pumping, and if someone hops on a machine I am about to use, I get irate. I'll never get over it, just something that will always happen I guess. I will just have to keep telling myself I am not Arnold or anything and I have no right to judge others in the gym.

Ok, rant over. Feel free to flame me for being arrogant. I deserve it.:w00t:

Edited by Ceradad

lol....this made me laugh as i'm getting ready to hit the gym myself. i really try to go off hrs (after the morning rush of those working out before work & those in the evening - after wk). if i can't do it mid morning; i likely don't go....reason i'm trying to set the house up w/a gym.

i can see what your saying & how ya feel. i've had no problem tapping someone on the shoulder who was just standing on the treadmill talking on their cell phone, to either use the machine or excuse themself to chatt....

I hate it when I want to do something and someone else is on the machine. But they paid their membership to the gym too. So what are you going to do?

i can see what your saying & how ya feel. i've had no problem tapping someone on the shoulder who was just standing on the treadmill talking on their cell phone, to either use the machine or excuse themself to chatt....

Yeah, it isn't socializing time. If you want to, fine, just let someone else use the machine.

I hate it when I want to do something and someone else is on the machine. But they paid their membership to the gym too. So what are you going to do?

As long as they are using it, and willing to allow others to work in while they are resting, fine. It is the ones that do one set, sit on it for about 10 minutes, then do another set that bugs me the most.

OMG!! I am going in two hours to go for my first "Therapist supervised" gym session. And I was scared before of the 'skinny' people, now I have to be worried about the unsympathetic, once-over-weight people being SNOBS. JUST GREAT!!! Good thing I have to do my supervised thing at the cardio rehab where it's mostly old people. I'm thinkin' you people wont see me in the gym for a LONG time! Thanks for the encouragement!! LOL:wink2:

(Hey, atleast you can admit your a snob, that's half the battle!)

I'm off to reluctantly go the the gym! :smile:

I go at 5am the people in there are hard core and they motivate me..but I'm with yall don't sit on a machine for 10 mins it bugs me to no end.

I hate the 13 year old girls that walk 3 abreast on the track at the gym. Umm there are only 3 lanes and if you could read, you would see that the outside two lanes are for jogging and running. Be a little considerate to others.

Oh and if you want to talk to the boy in the gym below just go down there instead of stopping on the track and pointing and giggling at him.

OMG!! I am going in two hours to go for my first "Therapist supervised" gym session. And I was scared before of the 'skinny' people, now I have to be worried about the unsympathetic, once-over-weight people being SNOBS. JUST GREAT!!! Good thing I have to do my supervised thing at the cardio rehab where it's mostly old people. I'm thinkin' you people wont see me in the gym for a LONG time! Thanks for the encouragement!! LOL:wink2:

(Hey, atleast you can admit your a snob, that's half the battle!)

I'm off to reluctantly go the the gym! :thumbup:

Well, I did say to go ahead and flame me. So, I guess you followed that to a T.

However, as long as you don't just sit on a machine and not let others work in with you, you don't have to worry. Or, sit and socialize, or talk on your cell phone the entire time, or basically don't do anything except take up space needlessly, don't concern yourself with it.

Also, I never said one thing about people who are out of shape/fat. I don't care if you are a bodybuilder. Don't monopolize the machines and ruin other peoples momentum.

I go at 5am the people in there are hard core and they motivate me..but I'm with yall don't sit on a machine for 10 mins it bugs me to no end.

Yeah, I'm at the gym or fitness ctr at work every morning @ 0500 for cardio. Back in after work for lifting. It makes a difference. You get to know the people that are dedicated and there every day. It helps.

Yeah, I'm at the gym or fitness ctr at work every morning @ 0500 for cardio. Back in after work for lifting. It makes a difference. You get to know the people that are dedicated and there every day. It helps.

i go at a time when there are 2 types of SAMS, say right after they drop the kids off at school.

there is the hardcore women who have their ipod on - go about their business. then the others who have a full face of makeup on / perfume on & their hair perfectly coiffed & socialize. i'm not a girly girl to begin with & the smell of perfume while working out makes me gag....so i steer clear of that group on the machines w/my ball cap & ipod on going about my business.

lot of cops around this time as well:wink: you get to be friendly seeing the same faces each day:)

spudmama - each of us started in the gym not feeling so hot about how we look. i found putting my ipod on kept me in my own world not worrying about what others thought. good luck to you!

i go at a time when there are 2 types of SAMS, say right after they drop the kids off at school.

there is the hardcore women who have their ipod on - go about their business. then the others who have a full face of makeup on / perfume on & their hair perfectly coiffed & socialize. i'm not a girly girl to begin with & the smell of perfume while working out makes me gag....so i steer clear of that group on the machines w/my ball cap & ipod on going about my business.

lot of cops around this time as well:wink: you get to be friendly seeing the same faces each day:)

spudmama - each of us started in the gym not feeling so hot about how we look. i found putting my ipod on kept me in my own world not worrying about what others thought. good luck to you!

To me, the ones that are enveloped in a haze of perfume are just as bad as the smoker that gets one last one in and then steps up on the treadmill/elliptical next to me. Can't breath.

Personally, I prefer the ball cap and ponytail on women in the gym.:thumbup: Not that I stare, don't like to be that guy, but I notice.:)

And, it's always good to make nicey nice with the cops. Start the flirting early. Then, when you inevitably get pulled over, you stand a better chance of getting a "warning".:thumbup:

Testing my multi-quoting ability and checkin' in...

I confess, I am a gym snob. Those that know me on here know this about me. I get easily irritated by people in the gym.

However, it is people that use the equipment improperly, or do one set every 10 minutes while they socialize. Or, worse yet, they take down the weights others have been using without checking to make sure someone is not just getting a drink or are doing a superset.

I'll never get over it, just something that will always happen I guess.

Ceradad - I had to laugh when I read this, though I know in some ways it's really not funny. I am a bit of a gym snob myself...and I agree with you that if you are not going to use the equipment properly - and that includes getting some instruction before using it - or if you are working on the one set every hour plan, KEEP IT MOVING!

OMG!! I am going in two hours to go for my first "Therapist supervised" gym session. And I was scared before of the 'skinny' people, now I have to be worried about the unsympathetic, once-over-weight people being SNOBS. JUST GREAT!!! Good thing I have to do my supervised thing at the cardio rehab where it's mostly old people.

Spudmama - it's not us formerly-overweight-people you have to worry about - I've gotten more grief from "skinny fat" folks in the gym than formerly-overweights. I've been a member of my gym for well over 5 years, so I know who they are. We 'gym regulars' can be very nice to newbies - just pay attention to what the trainer tells you, get the basics down, and focus on your workout while in the midst of the machines. You'll find that us veterans are not above handing out pats on the back and verbal attaboys when we see you working hard...and believe me, we do notice!

I posted in another forum about an unexpected compliment I recieved from one of the most intimidating women at my gym. She is in fantastic shape - I think she could step on stage any day now and win a bodybuilding competition - that's how great she looks. She and her workout partners - both HUGE guys with muscles out the wahoo - wear headphones during their workouts and don't talk much. They come in, hit the weights hard, and leave. No socializing, no dilly-dallying...and she was very nice when I complimented her the other day. It was, of course, AFTER her workout...I wouldn't want to be disturbed, and I'm guessing neither was she.

Ceradad - you are not as bad as some I've seen...cut yourself some slack, and I bet you inspire some people at the gym...heck, you inspire us here on LBT and we haven't seen you live and in person yet!:)

Nice to know I am not alone. The other night I asked my hubby, how did I get this way?? During busy times we are only allowed 30 minutes on cardo machines. At those times there are always people waiting. I walk around looking at the times and people are always running way over. Some sneak and reset the machines. It makes my blood boil! I also get annoyed by those who kid themselves by getting on the bike or treadmill reading and talking on the phone and not working up a sweat...who am I to judge them?? but I do. Like everyone else I Hate those who sit at a machine socializing or staring into space. Perhaps we can start an organization of gym police. Do you think we could get hired?