Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wrong Choice??

I am a week post-op and healing slowly. My pain is mostly around my port area which I know is common.

Today was my first day back in school (I'm a student). I sat through 2 classes and then had a 2 hour long lab. Thank God I didn't pass out when I had to stick others with needles!

I am starting to really doubt the decision I have made. I miss food terribly. My doctor has me on a 6 week liquid post-op diet. He won't even let me have Jello. The most filling thing I can eat is my Protein shakes. I go in for my 2 week post-op appointment in about a week. According to the scales in lab I have already lost 15 pounds.

Not only do I miss eating, but I really feel like crap. I am very tired and literally feel like someone beat me up.

Not to be personal, but I have been suffering from the runs for the past 3-4 days, I was told by my teacher (an RN) that is normal when on a liquid diet. The blood thinner they gave me in the hospital has caused nosebleeds and my aweful monthly visitor to appear uninvited.

Will I ever be happy again or have any energy?

Thanks for listening my sorrows.

-Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I am sorry to hear you are so down. If it helps-you are an inspiration to me - 15 pounds down - think that's GREAT! I am counting the days until I can get my band. You are only 1 week post op, I think everything you are feeling is normal, but try to remember how you felt that made you want the band in the first place. You can do this!!

The beginning is rough. It was for many of us. Each day gets better and better. I know it is difficult but you are also going through a "mourning" period for food loss. It had always been a comfort and now you don't have that. I did it too. It gets better with time. Time heals a lot of wounds. Hang in there!!!

I agree, hang in there, it does get better!!! I promise it does. The food, the eatng, the "runs" (I had the opposite prob, constipation!) all of it gets better. You will feel better too. I waited until almost 13 weeks to get my first fill because I knew I just needed a minute to adjust, in my head, mostly! My weight loss stalled. I lost 15 pounds in the first 12 days and didn't lose an ounce more until just before my first fill. But, I never gained anything back. Now I'm down 26 pounds. I'll take my time. The band is long term and it's just hard to see 6 weeks down the road, let alone 6 months, or longer! I was very very tight at first, so that contributed to me waitng for my fill, rather than running back at 6 weeks for it, but I just needed to reestablish my relationship with food again, I really did. It's there, we get along fine now. It gives me what I need in addition to the nutrition, it really is okay. Hang in there! And try Egg Drop Soup. I recommend it all the time (some of you are saying...I KNOW! EGG DROP SOUP ALREADY!!!!!) :) It has saved my life a few times...good stuff! Keep us posted.

Hang in there, it really does get better. I am 9 weeks post op and I feel great. The weight loss is worth all you are going through. I to had the same "run" problem you are having. It will get better it does just take awhile. Hey that only helps with the weight loss. I second Kathy on the egg drop Soup, actually I muffinburdie posted a homemade version of it on here. I printed and plan to make it. Soup is liquid, not sure why you can't have the SF Jello that is Clear Liquids, I would think.

Hang in there...it will all be worth it. I promise!!!

Jello is liquid, does your Dr. not know that???

Protein drinks will give you more energy. Have one, it will not hurt you, it is liquid, grab a ready made in the can serve it over ice.I was feeling thesameway until I added the Protein Drinks then I felt much better 6 weeks on liquids does seem like a very long time, mine was only 3 weeks. I think alot of us doubted our decisions while on the liquid phase, we all missedfood, but trust me it does get better. Just hang in there you will see and you will look back on this and be greatful you followed though and did not give up!

Oh Carrie *HUGS*

I know the first few weeks is the roughest but you can do this. I think in a few months your attitude is going to change when you start to lose and get more energy. Can you take any more time off to rest, maybe thats what you need.

NJC

I also had the runs real real bad and had them for a long time. My dumb doctor tried to tell me it was the whey Protein drinks but many others said it was the liquid diet. It cleared up the day I went on solid foods.

Have you tried taking creamy Soups (cream of potato especially), adding extra milk, blending the crap out of it and drinking that? That stuff literally SAVED my life! It is more hearty and made me feel more satisfied. Progresso broccoli, cheese and potato Soup is WONDERFUL and was yummy blended.

I also had that knocked out feeling and to be honest, I had it up until just last week (that would have been 6 weeks post op). It just took me a while to fully bounce back but as of this week I'm back, I'm at good energy levels. Surgery is tough on a body so give it time to heal.

You are doing great, just get creative. Cream Soups, hot and sour soup (SAVED MY LIFE!!) from the local Chinese place, and make sure you are eating enough. Keep sipping away, always have another thing ready to drink because if you get too hungry that will make you weak too.

smile.gif

Hey Carrie,

I was banded 8/10 and I feel the same things you are feeling. We will be ok. We need to keep a positive attitude. We can do this. I am sending you lots of *Hugs* and *support*. I have to be honest and say I thought I was going to bounce right back and feel wonderful and I don't. I have cried a few times in the last few days. I miss food but am not hungry or maybe I am. Sometimes I think it is just a battle with the food demons I have in my head...

Take care... we will get through this... !!

Love,

Lisa Marie

I am so sorry you are feeling this way too,,,,

Every Dr has different plans... Just do what is best for you, (maybe adding) some other liquids, and especially the Protein..

I just started my 2 weeks Optifast today, Surgery on 8/30, then 2 weeks of Clear Liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids, then 2 weeks of the mushies....

I am truly hoping that by the time I have the surgery after Hopefully having all liquids and sf Jello etc, that I will be ok after surgery and not be hungry-- OK I am not hoping, I am dreaming,,,lol

Hope you feel better soon

Hi Carrie,

I am sorry you had to go back to school feeling so crappy. I was given a blood thinner shot not to long before I was to go into surgery and then when I got up to go to the bathroom before they took me in......guess what......Aunt Flo. I couldn't believe it, I am always like clockwork and this wasn't the time. They got me some supplies and I asked them to let me talk to the Dr. I just wanted to make sure all was ok. He double checked my lab work and we both agreed it was the blood thinner.

Now on to the nutrients. I am eating most everything everyone has told you in the previous posts. I get in at least 4oz. of Protein shake a day and I am working up 1 oz. at a time, I am going to try 6 oz. today. I also tried the Egg Drop Soup yesterday, it was so yummy. Try some of the suggestions and I think it will help you feel better.

((((Hugs))))

Carrie,

Its worth it, I am down 108 pounds as of today, I had my surgery on 4/15/05 and yes that is correct 4 months. I was a size 28-4-5X and I am now a 22. I have also gone through 3 different sizes of undies. It is so much fun. I try to make this fun for myself, think of it as a fun choice you made and have some fun with it. I haven't heard of anyone on liquid for 6 weeks, but I only know myself. I didn't have to drink liquid Protein Shakes either. You made a great choice. Keep with it..

most all of us were on a post-op 6 or 8 week diet, so that part is normal. I also remember I will never have a normal BM again. But things get better really fast. The liquid diet is transitional into mushies & soft solids so you are going to feel better really soon. Hang in there! Be happy about this weight loss so far because the larger weight loss is yet to come whne you get filled. I never thought I would loss this hungry period & now I find my self struggling to eat enough everyday. Go figure!