Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else?

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted, we've moved since surgery and it's been a while getting life back to "normal".

I had a few questions:

Has anyone has problems eating pork? chicken? I can eat the heck out of red meat (hamburger, even steak *yum*) But I up-chuck pork as soon as I get a bite down - and I've tried it more than once just to see if it was something I did that day or how I cooked it. chicken I can only eat at that moment, if I have to reheat it, it's out - I ususally end up throwing it up as well. (Chicken tortilla Soup has been the only thing so far that hasn't made me do it) My new doctor was baffled by this because he said usually it'd be red meats t hat give bandsters a lot of issues.

Also, since getting banded I crave sweets. Now I may be a fat kid, but I was never one to eat a lot of sweets - I prefered my Protein, so this has me for a loop. I really try to refrain, but I can be honest with myself and my doctor when I told him I do indulge and it's been really hard fighting the head hunger. But it's like something clicked in there and it's turned me into the "Cookie Monster" or something. Anyone else walking down "Seaseme Street"?

Pork is very chewy, I dont like it much anyway. Occasionally we will have roast pork done in the Weber, but not often, but pork chops and stuff, ugh, no way. I can only imagine the pain they'd cause.

I also dont tolerate reheated meat well unless its very moist like in a casserole. But a piece of bbqed steak reheated in the microwave, forget it. But again, I would have turned my nose up at that preband anyway.

I dont see why your doc would be baffled - what you're saying is not at all uncommon, the foods you find hard are totally individual and not restricted to red meat and bread at all. I get stuck on yogurt!

I also have problems with pork. I can eat chicken if it is hot, but never reheated or cold. I don't have problems with beef at all - never have. Since this last fill I can't do bread products at all except wheat thins.

I have to have some kind of sauce on my meats most of the time. Some folks here told me to bake my chicken in cream Soup and it really works on keeping the meat moist. If I dont it tends to be to dry and cant eat it/keep it down. I have had pork tenderloin and did ok with it, havent tried pork chops. I have noticed sometimes my band is tighter than normal and on those days i stick w/more mushie combo of tuna or canned chicken and lite mayo.< /p>

Reheated chicken is a real problem with me. Any kind--dark meat, white meat, sauced or not sauced, cooked in crockpot, BBQ or any other way---it is not going to go down.

Some days I can eat something and the next time I try it, it'll get stuck. Normally I have been able toeat eggs cooked any way. Today, I mushed up a hardoiled one and now 4 hours later it is still hurting and feels like it is not going to move.

Haven't tried pork yet (DH doesn't like it so we don't fix it) but I am almost totally off red meat. Steaks and roasts are out--I knew that going into this but even finely ground beef is hard to get down and isnt' worth a potential episode of it sticking so I am cutting a lot of that out.

As for the sweet tooth, I hear ya. In some ways mine has grown much larger but in other ways some sweets are not as attractive as before--mostly those with flour, they just stick.

Hang in there, I am learning to eat fish---never thought that I'd say that.

Hi there, I, too, notice that some foods are more difficult than others. I seem to be able to do beef of any type, but chicken is a problem.. Especially if I just do a breast on the George Foreman grill... We made Kung Pau chicken the other night and the pieces were cut small before cooking and then cooked in a sauce.. It was good and it went down fine... Haven't had much pork other than occassional ham.. That is one time yes and another time no.... don't really understand this restriction thing. It changes all the time... I'm tighter in the mornings and feel little hunger at all until after 10:00.... like about now.. But then I eat now and am ready to eat again by noon... I'm still trying to figure this out and it's six months tomorrow for me.. I believe I need a fill and have one scheduled for Tuesday next..... I'm a bit fearful after a bad experience a month ago... But we must push on.... Take care everyone... Julie

The only problem I have had with pork so far is that it just takes too bloody long to chew it enough to be able to swallow it! Goodness, I get tired of chewing! LOL! And if it's a little dry! Forget it! Takes forever to eat. I usually give up after a few bites, moist or dry.

chicken I don't have any problems with. If it's dry, I'm wanting to drink tho so that's difficult.

I can't deal with fat or gristle of any kind. But that was a "thing" of mine before surgery anyway. Just seems to be a lot worse since surgery and that's saying something!

Sweet tooth, not so much but I find if I'm having a hard day of eating, I want tortilla chips with cheddar cheese and salsa all over them! Sliced black olives on top is nice too! :tt2: Even if I'm getting a little stuck on other foods, this always seems to go down just fine. Pity. :thumbup:

I know this thread is old but I am just having to a chance to read them. I too have trouble with meats in general but chicken and pork seem worse and I don't even try if it looks dry which is new for me because I have always liked my meat dry.

It is interesting that you mentioned the chips and cheese because I have found the same things and I wish that I hadn't. I have never been a chip eater so I have always been able to keep them in the house for the kids but now I can't buy them because I will eat them every day and not lose an ounce.

One more thought - I don't do regular breads at all and I have to be really careful with Pasta and rice. I will have another fill next week and we will see how much my eating has to change because I have had to make adjustments to my "safe" foods after every adjustments and even then I can eat something one day and it get stuck the next.

I can only eat ground turkey, chicken (boiled) or canned poultry. I throw up all other meat.

I've also become an ice cream addict. I NEVER liked ice cream before the band, but now... I restrict myself on eating it thank goodness. I'm still losing because of my exercising, I just wish I could stop the head hunger.

I can't eat Pasta (found that out the hard way PAIN!!), bread (haven't eaten since banding), or rice. Thankfully, I don't miss them. I can eat yogurt, salads (no spinach though), fruit, some veggies, and my Protein drinks. That's about all I eat.

Edited by shy_one

No pork here! chicken is just fine, can't reheat it though, that definitely gets stuck. Red meat has been really hard for me. I can eat some ground beef if it is in a casserole.

I have not had any bread since banding - convinced myself that I just can't eat it, don't even want to try. I used to absolutely love bread! No rice or Pasta either. I have tried some Pasta, but found that I get stuck - not worth it!

I feel like I have weird eating habits and have to remind myself to eat most of the time. I have a true craving for avocados and Peanut Butter - never had this before, but now I do. Weird!

I'm fortunate in that I can eat any meats. We are very, very careful to seriously undercook whatever piece I plan to store for my next meal, and I microwave on defrost or Medium so that I don't overcook. It takes alot of attention and doesn't always work out. We forget to pull the meat early sometimes, and I don't always keep a close enough eye on during the reheating.

The only "forget about it" foods at this point are breads, tortillas, soft baked goods like cakes, Cookies, brownies, etc. It's nice that the things I simply cannot eat are what I ought not be eating anyhow. If I get the hankering for bread, I go with Wheat Thins.

If you are having trouble finding something meaty that will work for you, try the tuna and chicken pouches. They are super convenient because they are shelf stable and they come in flavored varieties too. I keep them on hand at work for those times when I over-nuke my leftovers :)

I don't have any problems with anything. I think I am one of those rare lucky ones.

Sorry I haven't replied back, we'd had several doctors appointments - my husband is trying for the band or bypass now! :tt2: Might as well get it before we don't have the Army's insurance anymore. *lol*

I've never been a fish-eater, unless it was fried, but since we live here on the coast now I've been wanting to try stuff. I've started eating "naked shrimp" as a call it. *lol* And I'm sloooowly moving into eating seafood - it'll take a while. :)

The canned chicken gets stuck with me more times than not (I mix it with the creamed spinach dip, so good!), but I haven' tried tuna yet - the idea of it maybe sticking and throwing it up scares me. *lol*

I haven't had a problem with bread since I found one I can eat, and it happens to be a cheap bread from Walmart. Go figure.

I did find out last night that I can't eat cabbage if it's been reheated - which is sad for me because I could eat that (and most greens) everyday. It immediatly clogged me up and within an episode of "Will & Grace" the husband was holding my hair while I was puking off the back porch. *lol*

I haven't craved chips - but I wish I'd gone that route instead of teh sweets. But I do admit that I'm loving the Triscuit Tomato, olive oil and garlic ones, we keep them in the house for a snake.

I do have to admit that I'm glad I had to give up pork (we didn't eat much of it anyway) instead of steak. :) *lol*