Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PS Recovery is slow

Hi Everyone,

I am up and trying to move a little today. I am still not at the stage where I consider myself lucky to be able to have plastic surgery. THe pain is excruciating and I cannot yet appreciate the rewards of a flat tummy and thighs without hanging skin.THis is my 9th day post op and I did not really figure how little I really would be able to do for myself for at least two weeks. Day 1-7 were pure agony. I lived in a chair, got up to go to the bathroom only and to wash up. Felt like a grunge cause I couldnt shower for a week. I had some of my stitches removed on Wednesday, new steristrips put on and then my docs office uses a special superglue over all of the wounds to help them heal and keep them sealed. I was very fortunate to have my drain tubes taken out after only 7 days, but there was not that much drainage. You have to keep a log everyday. It did not hurt as much as everyone warned me it would pulling them suckas out and there is a great sense of relief not having stuff hanging out of your body. Lapband surgery was a piece of cake compared to having a full abdominoplasty and medial thighplasty at the same time. I still have dissolvable stitiches everywhere including down to my knees. I must wear a compression garment 24 hours a day from breast to hips and spandex bicycle pants from hips to ankles. Needless to say, it is not very comfortable! LLOL I am getting my sense of humoour back, but I know that this has been a huge burden for my family (especially my husband). My 3 1/2 year old started having nightmares waking up at night saying he has boo boos and he is in pain. I feel pretty terrible, so when they come home everyday from daycare, I pretend everything is OK and try to make everything seem normal. My doc says I must be chairbound for at least 5 more days. He thinks I am doing too much. Says that there is an area between my bellybutton and groin that is not healing as well as it should be cause I am up too much. I am gonna try to behave. Gosh, I miss the ole Barbara. I know, I am moaning, but I have been alone all day all week since I have no one to help me during the day. I hope all you guys are doing well.Send me some hugs. I really need them!!!

Babs in TX

Babs I totally understand how you feel. I too questioned why I would voluntarily do that to my body. I am five weeks out of my ps and still can't get to feeling normal. You know what was worse for me, the back pain from walking all scrunged up like a 90 year old. I still can't get rid of it. Hurts like hell, especially at night. I too had a tt and all over Lipo, so the tt didn't hurt, but my stomach muscles were very painful and the rest of my body was in shock from having all the fat sucked out of it. I was very fortunate to have my mom and step-dad full time to help me with the kids and to take care of me. They were so awesome, I didn't have to lift a finger. I was very blessed to have them, Sorry that you are alone and don't have extra help, that makes me sad, cause I know what you are going through. but it will get better. I too had my drain in way too long, mine was in for 11 days and I hated the damn thing, it was disgusting to have it. I don't miss it one bit. And since I'm all about comfort the wearing the all body compression garments was so uncomfortable and painful. Even had to wear them on my arms. YUKKKY!!! I still wear it at night cause I get better back support and sleep better (sometimes it comes off in the middle of the night, but oh well). How long did your dr tell you that you had to wear yours? I had mine on 24/7 for a whole month. But my moms says he told me four months not four weeks and everytime I check in w/ him I conveniently forget to ask, cause I sure don;t want to wear that for another three months. About your little boy, I am so sorry, I have a three year old and he too was very concerned about mommies boo, boo's, he still asks if my boo boo's hurt. and my girls were wonderful they were my little nurses, still are. Well, I hope you get to feeling better and everyday will get easier believe me it will. Cause I have just been there and I'm surviving. Take care and please rest up and don't hurt yourself by trying to do too much. Sending lots of love your way. Let me know how you are doing.

Please take it easy and follow his directions! Trying to do too much will only delay the healing. I am glad you are feeling a little better! Just think about how beautiful you will be and it will be worth all you are going through now. I can't wait to see some pictures of you!

Hugs to you!

Hi Estela,

I decided today that I will not take any more pain meds. So I have not had any today. No, I am not being a martyr. I just dont want to live in plastic bubble either. I hate that and dont like being groggy. Thanks for the warm wishes. I was following your PS journey, but I just didnt have much to say cause its hard to express how it feels unless it is happening to you. I feel a lot better today that I am no longer groggy. I did not have Lipo, but the thighplasty is very painful with lots of groin stitches, and stitches in your butt, thighs and everywhere else. Yuch! And it does not look pretty at all! I am just a little lonely in the daytime!!!

Babs in TX

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain, but hey if you don't need your pain meds can you please send them my way... lol. Just think though maybe if they every bring back that beach show with David Hasselfoll and Pamela Anderson maybe we can get a job as lifeguards, too. Were going to be so gorgeous, thats what I keep telling myself, repeat, I'm going to look gorgeous, if I can just get through this damn pain............

Well hope you feel better, lot of love from my tummy to yours.

Oh Babs I hope that is the pain talking. Take your meds, pain is so hard on your body and your psyche! If you have to deal with the pain that puts extra stress on everything.

I would rather be a lttle groggy now than have a longer recovery.

((( hugs)))

I am so sorry you are in so much pain and discomfort. I've never gone through anything like what you have, so all I can offer is that I read what you write and say a little prayer for your speedy, and complete recovery. Blessings, Cindy

Sending you ((((BIG HUGS))) Babs!

Hope each day gets easier and easierfor you. Just think of the end result, flat tummy and tight thighs YAHOO!!!

HI,

My docs office said that it was OK to stop taking the pain meds. Actually, the pain isnt so bad and it reminds me of my limitations. The problem with the morphine and vicodin type drugs is that for me at least, I get completely zonked. My docs office said it was OK if I went out for an hour somewhere outside of the house as long as I was sitting down for 90% of the time. I need some bicycle compression pants, so I am gonna ask my husband to take me to Walmart and I can ride around in one of the carts. Never did that before. Thanks eveyone. IT really depends on what time of the day you talk to me. Sometimes I am feeling better than other times. Also, it wont hurt me to get outside and get some fresh air. I am looking forward to this.

Babs in TX

Okay, I was under the impression that you were in lots and lots of pain. Phew! okay, you can to go the store, but ONLY if you ride around in one o the carts and you don't lift anything heavier than your head.

I'm so glad you are doing so well.

Yes, I remember that "OMIGOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF" feeling. Last August I had my eyes done (upper & lower lids) and there's nothing quite like looking at your swollen face with two black stitched-up eyes!

Actually I didn't really intend to have any "work" done this early in the game, but I found out I had to have foot surgery and when the podiatrist said I'd need to take 2 wks off work I decided I wasn't likely to be able to afford that much time off again anytime soon so I ended up going to a plastic surgeon and scheduled the eye surgery. The foot surgery was w/ Kaiser and I didn't want them to cancel it so I told them NOTHING about my intended eye job. My foot surgery was the first of the day (7 a.m.) 2 days after my eye surgery and they were quite surprised when I walked in all swollen and bruised! I had my PS write on a prescription that it was ok for me to have the foot surgery. When the nurse asked if the foot surgeon knew I'd just had PS, I just handed her the doc's note. No one said anything to me about it after that. Kind of amazing how much credibility you can get JUST by having a doctor's okay.

Anyway, recovering from both at the same time really worked out pretty well. Pain killers handled both the eye and the foot pain but the whole experience is blurred together. And after the healing it was totally magical to look in the mirror and recognize my eyes from 15-20 years ago! It's one of the best things I ever did for myself. Believe me, the pain will pass and you are going to be SOOOOO HAPPY you did this!

(I'll try to find some B&A pics to post tomorrow)

Maybe this thread should be moved to the PS section?

Big ((((HUGS))) Babs. I'm so glad you are making it but I know it is a really hard time for you. I only hope you will recover soon. Remember we ae here for you we will listen anyrime you need us!!! Hang in there it will be worth it once you heal!!!

Big HUGS, I am just starting the process and my consultation is next month, with surgery possibly around the holidays. I look forward to hearing more as you start feeling better. It is nice to know that at 9 days out you stopped pain meds. I know you work from home, and will be interested in when you restart. We have a 2 week shutdown for the holidays and even though I know I won't feel 100%, I would like to comeback to work after that. It's 90% a desk job.

Your son will be fine, glad hubby is being so helpful, get all the rest you need and this will be so worth the discomfort. Hopefully soon, I'll get out to see you again and your new house.

HUGS and Positive thoughts.

Carol