Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about fills...

Hi everyone

My surgery isn't until April :lol:but I am wondering about fills. I have an appointment for my first fill 6 weeks post op. I see that some of you post your fill dates...it seems that there are quite a few. Is this just typical of the first year (or so) or do you require frequent fills for life?

I hear some people post about their "sweet spot" is this just a matter of toying around with fills until you start losing more? Not sure. :frown:

THanks for any input!

D :cursing:

Go to the Lap Band Fills forum. You will get all your questions answered there. Good luck.

Spud Mama

Im not sure Iv hit a sweet spot, but I have been filled 3 times and the fill doctor says she wouldnt fill me any tighter. She watches with fluoro and does the barium swallow so she can see how fast the barium goes down.

I got 1.8, 1.8 and .5 cc in a 10 cc band. I probably wouldnt bother getting another fill for quite a while. No point. I was a little to tight on my cruise in Jan. to eat in company, but yet at home where I kinda nibble dinner at a computer I dont notice the restriction.

I am also confused on fills. I was banded 12/13/2008 and had fill #1 of 1.8cc and #2 was 1cc. The person that fills me said she can not fill more than 4 cc in my 10 cc band. I feel some restriction but I am still hungry during the day. I am wondering what the max I can have for fills is and what happens if I get too close and I am still not feeling tight and full?? I am trying to get in my Protein and eat low calorie foods. Help!!!

Maybe I can try again to explain. Technically you can be filled 10 cc, or more because of the tubing, but they will not fill you past the point where you can drink and eat, whatever point that is. That's why I barely could get a fill last time. She put in .5 cc, and wanted to take out .2 cc and I had to talk her out of it. She thought I was too tight. Its not uncommon to read that others have 7 or over 8 cc in their 10 cc band, its very individual how much they can put in.

Im going to wait until I lose about 30 lbs since my last fill and maybe go in then and let her tighten it up a little more. As you lose weight there will be a little less restriction so they can fill you more and then once you reach goal once a year is usually enough.

The person that fills me said she can not fill more than 4 cc in my 10 cc band. I feel some restriction but I am still hungry during the day. I am wondering what the max I can have for fills is and what happens if I get too close and I am still not feeling tight and full?? I am trying to get in my Protein and eat low calorie foods. Help!!!

What an odd statement from the person who fills you. If you have a 10cc band you can have 10cc placed in it. But the goal is to provide you as much restriction as needed to encourage weight loss; an average of 1 to 2 pounds a week, with the least amount of fill.

Your doctor will decide how much of a fill to give you at any one time. Fills are based on so many factors. As an example based upon my doctor, if I am losing weight at 1 to 2 pounds a week and I am not grazing/snacking and I am satisfied with a meal for 3 to 4 hours, she will not give me a fill.

However, if I am hungry all the time, cannot stay satisfied with a meal, and I am gaining weight or just staying at my weight, then she will give me a fill.

I have great restriction right now, but yeah I do get hungry. It is a hunger that is satisfied for at least 4 hours with small portions. But yeah, I am presuming everyone eventually gets hungry, but when restriction is achieved the hunger is satisfied with less food.

If you get close to being completely filled with your band without achieving restriction or without weight loss, then there might be some issues occurring, such as fill leaking, band slippage, and/or a stretch pouch.

These are issues you can discuss with your doctor.

Good luck!

Hi everyone

My surgery isn't until April :lol:but I am wondering about fills. I have an appointment for my first fill 6 weeks post op. I see that some of you post your fill dates...it seems that there are quite a few. Is this just typical of the first year (or so) or do you require frequent fills for life?

I hear some people post about their "sweet spot" is this just a matter of toying around with fills until you start losing more? Not sure. :rose:

THanks for any input!

D :tongue2:

Every person has a unique personal experience with their band and fills. What works great for me might not be so great for someone else and vice-a-versa.

As an example, my roommate at the hospital where I had the surgery have the same surgeon and were banded within hours of each other. Her aviator name is Lacasst and if you see her signature line it reflects she has had way less fills than I.

Lacasst, had better restriction and was losing a lot more weight than I was, thus our doctor did not give her additional fills. I on the other hand, was losing weight, but was very hungry and was not satisfied with a meal for very long, so I would get more fills.

Lacasst went home from the hospital the day after surgery, where I stayed for 2.5 days. So what I am trying to convey is that each person's fills are designed specifically for them based on their aftercare with their doctor.

As far as the sweet spot, it is a matter of toying around to figure out what works. And keep in mind that there are some people who achieve the sweet spot, but then for some reason need a slight unfill because restriction becomes too tight. Sometimes, a fill that worked great for several months without a problem, might become a problem. Thus, the importance of aftercare.

Thanks everyone!

I saw a great post from someone on another thread.

He explained that as the fat around your stomach shrinks due to weight loss, the band must be filled to accomodate that loss. Kind of like how our rings get loose if we lose weight.

I sure hope I don't have to get lots of fills, it costs $150 every time and a trip to the big city:thumbdown:.