Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and Health Issues

Okay, as many of you know I have really been working hard increasing my exercise gradually. In January, I started jogging, something I have not done in years.

While jogging, I increased the time and the distance a little bit each week. I am trying to train for a marathon. I am never going to be on the Olympic team and I am not doing this to win medals, but I was always an avid runner before and really enjoy it.

So in the middle of January my hair starts falling out in the shower in clumps. We are talking chemo/radiation clumps. So this morning I took a shower and washed my hair and again huge clumps fall out. So I gather all the clumps of hair, place it in a baggie and take it over to my primary care doctor this morning. (I only wash my hair three times a week now)

I am thinking it is either my thyroid meds needing adjustment. But my blood work from December for thyroid is okay. So the PC doctor states he thinks its my increased exercise and jogging. He wants me to decrease my exercise. I really don't want to do this. but I do not want to go bald either. Has anyone had this problem??? Please give me some feedback!

My Protein levels are above 100 grams a day. My b1 and d12 are low, so now I am adding those Vitamins to to my daily routine. All other Vitamin levels are normal. I do blood work every month. We are going to retest my thyroid tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help!:biggrin:

So the PC doctor states he thinks its my increased exercise and jogging. He wants me to decrease my exercise. I really don't want to do this. but I do not want to go bald either. Has anyone had this problem??? Please give me some feedback!

My Protein levels are above 100 grams a day. My b1 and d12 are low, so now I am adding those Vitamins to to my daily routine.

hmmm, not sure i see a correlation of exercise & hair loss, or how not being active will increase hair production....but i'm not a science person.

i didn't experience Hair loss (other than cutting it all off a few months back) - but i do go and get a B12 shot each month & i probably barely get in 60grms of Protein each day.

i've read here that many lose between months 3-6 & start to regain, hope you get some input that will help....

hmmm, not sure i see a correlation of exercise & hair loss, or how not being active will increase hair production....but i'm not a science person.

i didn't experience Hair loss (other than cutting it all off a few months back) - but i do go and get a B12 shot each month & i probably barely get in 60grms of Protein each day.

i've read here that many lose between months 3-6 & start to regain, hope you get some input that will help....

The PC believes that the stress of the increased activity is messing with my metabolism. I feel a little bit more drained and joint aches in the finger, so I am thinking thyroid again! But he is thinking to much exercise.

I am hoping it's just the 3-6 month when hair loss starts happening for some people. I take b12 under my tongue.

So you've got thyroid issues and your doctor thinks JOGGING is making your hair fall out? I think you need a new doctor.

You're not marathon training, you're doing a great amount of exercise that is necessary for a healthy body. You're doing it whilst not eating a lot of calories, just conceivably, the balance is out somewhere, sooooo the answer is probably not to stop jogging, its to supplement more and eat more.

If that's the problem. I'd say that many suffer Hair loss with losing weight that they never figure out. Nobody really knows what causes it but it sure as sugar is not simply a Protein thing. Its more likely hormonal/generalised nutrition. I've never read about anyone one here who's hair didnt grow back though, hard as it must be to see it coming out.

Actually, I am training for a marathon. And I am really just at the begining stages.

I am following a training plan from the marathon that I am hoping I can run in on Thanksgiving Day! Run to Feed The Hungry in Sacramento. Come join us Jachut, it will be a lot cooler in Cali.

I know I am no where near the level I need to be at, but I am taking small steps towards my goal. And I don't feel comfortable decreasing my training.

Daily calories range from 1,200 to 1,500 now, where I use to have 1,000 to 1,200 a day.

Jachut and Lulu, this hair loss is freaking me out!

Jachut and Lulu, this hair loss is freaking me out!

i would have a hard time w/hair loss myself - but thankfully i got a mop of thick hair ...

how long is your hair? i would cut it as short as you can handle till it grows back in.

i would have a hard time w/hair loss myself - but thankfully i got a mop of thick hair ...

how long is your hair? i would cut it as short as you can handle till it grows back in.

It was on my back about three weeks ago, but I had it cut to my shoulder, thinking that would help. Maybe I will get a blond wig.:thumbup:

I'm losing a lot of hair too but nothing I do makes it stop. More Protein, more supplements, more calories, etc. I think it just happens and I'm just resigned to it.

When I started going through menopause (at age 42) that was one of the FIRST symptoms. I have very thick hair and I was losing almost as much hair in a day as some people HAVE.

It's worth checking out. Adding my estrogen patch did wonders for me!

Here is a list of symptoms:

Simple symptoms may easily be ignored but it's important to note that these symptoms have been reported by women experiencing menopause. If you have any of these symptoms, discuss them with your doctor during your next checkup.

Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling

Irregular heart beat

Irritability

Mood swings, sudden tears

Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)

Loss of libido

Dry vagina

Pain during sex

Crashing fatigue

Anxiety, feeling ill at ease

Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom

Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion

Disturbing memory lapses

Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence

Itchy, crawly skin

Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons

Increased tension in muscles

Breast tenderness

Headache change: increase or decrease

Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea

Sudden bouts of bloat

Depression

Worsening of existing conditions

Increase in allergies

Weight gain

Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair

Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance

Changes in body odor

Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head

Tingling in the extremities

Gum problems, increased bleeding

Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor

Osteoporosis

Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier

Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.

Hi Tq,

I think this sudden hair loss is actually from the surgery. After a "traumatic" event, it takes a while for your hair to be effected. This is about the time my hair started falling out too, then it tapered off. It takes a while for your hair to react to the trauma of the anesthesia and the surgery itself.

I still have "bouts" but it tapers off. I am actually going through one again right now. Seems when I start losing more weight, a lose a little hair. Rogaine for women has been a blessing for me!

I lost a lot of hair about 3 or 4 months after the stress of my Mom's death. The doctor told me this was to be expected and it did taper off.

;)

Good luck Tq.

One word. Take Biotin. That will help slow the Hair loss. Its perfectly normal to lose some hair because of the weight loss. or you can shave your head and put on a wig....just kidding. Try taking a biotin supplement. good luck.

Update:

I am now feeling really physically drained. I am tired and have no energy. I have not been able to exercise for three days now. I am having trouble sleeping at night. I am having dizzy spells and it's not because I met prince charming.

I am irritable and my joints ache and I am sore all over. I did go see the PC and he thought it was because of my increased level of activity at least the intensity of my activity. I am waiting for my thyroid test results to come back.

Anyway, I see me gynecologist tomorrow morning. I am no spring chicken any more ladies and will be 45 this year.:willy_nilly:

Although I had a hysterectomy in 1996, my ovaries were left so I would not have to take synthetic hormonal therapy. I am thinking maybe Menopause :):scared2::tt1::scared2:.

Anyway, I know what tests I want her to run, so I will let you know what happens. All I can tell you is that I lost my zell for life. I feel depleted, as thought my life-source is gone. :)

Thanks for your feedback!

I am having dizzy spells and it's not because I met prince charming.

sorry tquad, you made me laugh @this one:)

hope you get some resolution to the fatigue, can you take an OTC sleeping aid or have a dr prescribe one? i bet the lack of sleep isn't helping matters.

feel better!!

Are you eating enough? You have to eat enough to support your energy levels.

I can only work out 5 days a week at my age. I sometimes do 6 but often I can't. So I try to make each one count and just accept my limitations.