Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anesthesia- Dry heaving or puking?

Hi all,

I've been under anesthesia 4 times, and everytime I get horribly sick! I throw up and dry heave for a good hour or two after I wake up. The hospital always gives me that citrus flavored antinausea stuff, but it never helps. Any one experience this, or have some tips for me? I'm getting banded tomorrow morning and that's the only thing I'm pretty nervous about.:smile:

They watch for that and should be prepared. After I woke up in post-op and they started to wheel me into recovery, the motion made the whole hospital spin. I must have turned green because the nurse could read it on my face immediately and got me anti nausea meds...they didn't work. It took about three hours and four shots but they did finally find a cocktail that did the trick. I didn't throw up but I was horribly nauseous.

I get nauseous from it as well. They gave me medicine to help, not just antacid. It makes you very sleepy, which is what you will need anyways. :smile:

I get nauseous from it as well. They gave me medicine to help, not just antacid. It makes you very sleepy, which is what you will need anyways. :smile:

None of what I was given made me sleepy.

None of what I was given made me sleepy.

They put it in my IV. It made all the difference in the world. I wish I knew what it was called.....

Possibly Phenergan (generic name promethazine)

I'd never been under before and had no idea how I'd react, thank goodness I didn't have any problems.

Def tell them about your history and emphasis you do not want to be throwing up after this surgery!

They put it in my IV. It made all the difference in the world. I wish I knew what it was called.....

Yeah they tried a couple different things on me, all of it through IV (there is no way I could have swallowed anything!, ice chips made me gag!!!). Finally she gave me via IV what she called her "special cocktail" which I assume was a combination of meds, and that worked. The nausea delayed my release, although I was approved for 23 hour stay, I didn't want to spend the night and I couldn't wait to get out of there so I am happy they didn't give me anything that made me sleepy!

I was so dizzy/nauseous from the anesthesia I probably could have stayed another day. The actual incisions were nothing compared to recovering from anesthesia.

If I could go back I would have asked for a prescription of Phenergan (suppository). It definitely helps with nausea and you don't have to eat it (uh, you know :smile:)

Prior to getting my band, I've thrown up after waking up after having receiving anesthesia. I let my anesthesiologist know my history, and I got anti-nausea meds in my IV. He also gave me an anti-nausea motion patch, and scheduled me for an additional shot of anti-nausea meds after I woke up. The nurse got me up before I received my second shot, and the room started to spin a little, I started feeling a little sick, and when I let the nurse know, she immediately gave me my shot. I didn't have a moment's problem after that.

Good luck tomorrow!

getting wheeled back to my room i was balking my head off cos of the horrible gas mask...i really have a hard time with it, even though i couldnt be sick, thank god your starved to death before the op...It was the best thing i did as it got all my gas up... happened about 3 times...i burped for my country...lol...& i felt fine, didnt suffer with any gas after my op & i asked the surgeon could i have done any damage?, no he replied he said im one of the lucky ones even though i wanted to puke my guts up all i brought up was the surgical gas... :crying:

I was just banded on Friday (Feb 6th) and had a terrible time with nausea from the anesthesia. My anesthesiologist was warned and took precautionary actions but I still had the problem. Every 6 hours I got a shot in my IV for nausea..it made me sleepy which was perfect. I ended up spending the night and they would just add more nausea meds to my IV during the night.

The nurse advised me to try and drink a little (easier said than done) and put me on an IV drip (fluids and vitamins). She said if I got some liquids in me and then was able to urinate the anesthesia would leave my body sooner. I was able to munch on ice chips but I could not drink any liquids. She also told me to try and move around but I couldn't do that until the next morning.

Good luck! I managed to NOT throw up but there were a couple of tense moments. I guess I just kept remembering that it would pass soon...and it did! :crying:

The anesthesia was the worst part of my surgical experience. I had warned everyone that I had been very very nauseous and sick with prior anesthesia and experience motion sickness. Even with all precautions I still had dry heaving for 2 days after and did not feel like myself for 5 days (seemed to take that long for the anesthesia to leave my body totally). I also think the pain meds on an empty stomach did not help hence I only took one pain pill. Just not worth the dry heaves (and had limited pain so I could do without).

In the hospital my nausea delayed my barium swallow test by a few hours but was eventually able to stomach the barium and get it done. Was released that night and just pretty much "went to ground" for a few days then felt great.

Even knowing this I would do this again in a heartbeat. Good Luck to you tomorrow!

I just got banded on 02/09... while previously I had not had such a hard time with post-op nausea I did this time. I can not remember what they gave me, but not only did they put something in my IV but I also received a few shots over my lenth of stay. To go though... I dod get some phenergen to go w/ my percocet (which makes me nauseated).

Def tell them about your history and emphasis you do not want to be throwing up after this surgery!

My thoughts exactly . . . :crying:

It is common for people to get a little sick after anesthesia and they should be prepared. Just clearly communicate your history so that they can be prepped in advance.

This has been an issue with me with a prior surgery. So my doctor pumped me up with two shots before they wheeled me into the operating room.

The first shot was for nausea and the other shot was pepid ac or something or other. These shots went into my IV and the craziest thing is I could feel them going in the vein. Anyway, I did not get sick while in the recovery room.

However, I had a hard time with pain meds after surgery, so the doctor gave me anti-nausea Patches, which worked great.