Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feb 10th bandsters - How's it going

Shaggs, you couldn't be too far over on your left side. For me, it was the right. I would feel a stinging, pulling sensation, and I thought I was going to damage my port. But it's better, now.

When I got my staples out, the nurse put steri strips over the incisions. They're starting to loosen. The doctor said I could just pull them off, but I don't want to.

Anyone else dealing with that?

Debbie

Hey Debbie, we dont have staples here in Australia for lap banding, we all just seem to have only the steri strips. One of the incisions between my boobs lost their strips within a couple of days from rubbing on my bra and sweating etc. The rest of them were still stuck hard and fast but I was over it and pulled them all off last Friday. It took a little pulling but they came off and underneath everything was beautiful and I doubt if those strips have been doing anything for the past week or so. I know my c section scar the stitches are removed after 4 -5 days and the skin is perfectly healed so go for it - just rip them off (carefully) you'll psychologically feel new again! And if they're a bit itchy you'll be sooooo relieved!

I also just had steri tape and everything was done and healed by 7 days. I lost 3lbs since surgery and nothing else. It will be two weeks on Thursday. I want to be melting away now

I did not get staples either. They "glued" the skin then put a sticky sticky tape over it. Or maybe that is how the glue it, I don't know. It healed really nice and pretty quick. Shaggs, you made me laugh! Thanks!

I didn't get staples either only steri-strips. They loosened up around the edges but not at the incisions themselves. Finally I removed them myself yesterday. The nurse at the hospital advised me to remove them when they are wet. After my shower I took my time, if it looked like it was going to take the scab with it I just went slowly. Everything was nicely healed underneath. My new scars go so great with ones I had when I got my gallbladder out!!

I was a big chicken when I took mine off. I used Avon Skin So Soft and just worked them off! I hate pain and that was just such an easy pain free way. I guess I should change my name to big chicken (big bird is already taken).

blklab no need to change your name I think that was a great idea. Actually I'm still on a full liquid diet -- going to see the doctor March 4th. As much as I would like to advance my diet I get nervous when I think of things getting stuck or sliming (which I think is the same as what my doctor calls foaming but I'm not sure). Does anyone know if sliming is the same as foaming????

I think it is the same IMhopeful. I was scared too but I soon got over that, mushies has been sooooo great! However, has anyone else noticed their post op restriction wearing off? I am slowly being able to eat more, and its not lasting as long but it is still good but the worst thing ever is, I have started to "seek out" food again. My emotional/entertainment eating is creeping back in. I am hoping its just a phase that after not being able to eat anything i am just excited about eating again and I really want to put back some self control before things get out of hand. How's everyone else going? R u hungry, restricted or slipping back to old habits?

I was thinking the same thing I hope I don't go crazy now that I can eat. I don't get my first fill until 5 or 6 weeks after surgery and today it is only 2 weeks.:rolleyes::tt1:

Shaggs, I did finally rip off my steri strips. It didn't hurt, and I do feel much better. But I still have some scabs, I guess, where my port is, and I can still feel something that seems like swelling, I think.

Yes, I'm getting hungrier now, and envious of people who can "eat normally." It's great to be able to eat mushies, but I don't want to gain any weight I've lost; it's been such a hard won battle.

I did have a little pity part for myself this evening because I guess I'm still saying good-bye to my old way of life. But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Debbie

Oh man! I am on that slippery slope! Please everyone tell me you're doing the same. I swear its getting so hard to control the constant nibbling, I feel like I'm going to be over 100kg within the week if not the day. One half of me is freaking out and cant believe I'd do this after all I've been through and the other half just aint listening. I am trying so hard to reign it in. So far the scales are good but I know thats not going to last. I still have sore spots on my tummy and a god awful pain if I sit after I eat (not in the band area but under the port scar). I cant WAIT for a fill only 3.5 weeks to go! And then I will probably need about 5 more fills for it to work. Help!

Hi, Yes Shaggs I feel the same as you. I could just nibble away. I am on a "soft" diet. Everything I have tried goes down VERY easy - bread, Tomato sauce, cheese, chicken and chips! I had some restriction post op but now there is hardly anything. I can eat at least a cup of food before I feel full. I have not had any "PB" or sliming. I can hardly feel the port site now when I bend.

I did have my first DR. visit on Thurs. On my next visit in a month we will discuss fills. At this point I think I want one because my will power can last only so long.

I did ask him about the vagus nerve and the band's effect on it.

He felt that the physical contact of the band on the nerve did not help with satiety because their is no pressure on it, but when the stomach is digesting food and the band is properly adjusted the vagus is activated. So we will feel full - eventually!

Edited by peachwood

I just don't feel great. I have a dull pain in my back like a gall bladder pain, the nurse at my clinic said it was because the band is tight. My eating isn't great but not totallly out of control. I am trying to eat less to see if the back pain will go away. Does anyone else have this pain? I see my doctor tomorrow afternoon.

yayatrudy how did you doctors appointment go today? Was the band causing your back pain? I have not had any pain in my back. The little pain I was having was around my port and that has stopped. I hope you feel better soon. Please let know how your doing.

My doctor said it is the band that causes the back ache that the diaphram is probably still irritated and that it should clear up soon. I haven't lost any weight this week:confused: but he said i could go back to Water aerobics tomorrow. the wound from the tape is almost completly healed The nurses suggested eating soft foods to see if that helped. I have a really good doctor and team of nurses. I will probably get my first fill in 2 weeks.