Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded yesterday

And feel like crap. The gas never left my torso to my shoulders (I guess that's good) but my torso is really hurting, I can even get up from chairs without it hurting really bad. Also, getting nausea alot so have to take these pills. This is the first I've been able to post. How long will I feel this way? I know its different for everyone, just hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, also haven't been eating/drinking much, just sleeping...which is bad, I know. I try to walk but get so exhausted. :thumbdown:

I pretty much slept all day the day after surgery. I would just sit down in a chair and zonk out for a couple hours. Getting out of chairs was horrible. I would only sit in rocking chairs where I could launch myself out. I dreaded trying to get out of bed the next morning. However, after a night of sleep it wasn't so bad getting up. I was also slumped over because I couldn't stand up straight without it hurting. It got better the next day though. I could stand up straight but by the end of the day I was kind of hunched over just not to stretch too much. You will feel a lot better by day three and four. Just take it easy the first day home.

Edited by Boliele

This sounds a lot like my experience. I was banded exactly a week before you (Feb 2nd) and I am still in pain. I saw my surgeon today for a follow up and he says that everybody is different. He couldn't stress that enough. I was starting to think something was wrong with me, but I am ok. I had some complications during surgery so there was a lot more pulling and tugging. BUT, some people need next to no pain meds and here I am a week out and I still need them. Chairs, stairs, getting out of bed, walking. It all hurts still but I feel A LOT better than I did a week ago. I hardly need any assistance at all. I hunch over when I stand because I can't stretch out all the way. My back is really beginning to hurt because of this (and the sleeping on your back thing, ugh! I hate sleeping on my back.) Bottom line, I am still in pain but I've made a lot of progress and my surgeon was actually suprised I'm doing as well as I am. You will feel better too. Everybody is different!

It gets better trust me! I was banded on 02/05 - I actually felt pretty good the next day, but by the third day I was exhausted and slept most of the day. I must have over did it on the second day. The worse part for me was the liquid diet. I actually had to add some Soups because my stomach keep growling and hurting. After some Soup all was good. Hang in there it does get better!

The only thing I did the day of and after surgery was drink Water, take pain pills, walk around the house and do my breathing treatments. Take it easy, it gets monumentally better each day. :thumbup:

I am 7 days post op and didn't start feeling better until Sunday. Take it easy; yes you have to walk but when you have had enough, sit down. On Saturday I went to the mall to walk around and looking at the spring cloothes definitely took my mind off things (and motivated me!); I just walked slow and went home after an hour. Now day 7 I am cooking for the family, dressing myself; just still can't bend and and sleep on my side. But compared to 1st day post op I feel fab! Every day you WILL feel better, I promise!

As far as gas pains; it felt like I have 1000 bricks on my chest; I was in agony the whole time in the hospital. Make sure you are breathing in that aspirometer thingy they sent you home with and take those Gas x Strips, vital!

I thought food (cooking and grocery shopping) would kill me since I am still on liquids but it's been therapeutic in a sense, I still get to be around the thing I love, and touch and smeel just cant eat. And I am a great cook!

Stay strong, it's OVER, you did it !!!!

I remember in those early post op days I hurt the longer i sat down, so other than short naps on the bed (not couch)I walked the halls. I was back commuting to work on day 6, weined off of the liquid pain medicine and was able to drive 45 min(hardest part). I do customer service on the phone so I was able to stand up alot in my office and not have to sit down, but going from sitting to standing was very slow. The more i walked the better, and faster things seemed to improve. I am now 13 months out, 8 lbs from goal. So hang in there, things will improve, remember this is a new journey,a new life, new outlook. Welcom new bandsters!!:smile:

Hang in there! I am impressed that you are able to be online and post the next day! :smile:

I had people rub my back and pat on my back like a baby. That actually helps to get the air out.

I was so uncomfortable for the first couple of days. I'm a side/stomach sleeper so I was miserable at night. Finally about the 3rd night I was able to get on my side a little bit and I was excited by that.

You'll get there after a week and you get your staples removed you'll be feeling great. Just try and get up and walk when you can. Walking really helps to get the air out.

Today is day 2 for me and I've been feeling a tad better every time I wake up from a nap. The gas pains are horrible, I feel like I need to burp, but can't. My stomach feels not se good either.

i know what you are going through,its day 15 for me and i remember how much pain iwas in for about 3 days after...it was horrible..if i knew how much pain id be in i dont think i would have ever got it done.Now i feel good,i think differently of course but the first few days were horrible.

it does get better...every day you'll feel alittle better and by day 4 you should be feeling like you can walk properly again.I couldnt even lie down with out it hurting like hell,listen to your body and if you want to sleep, ..sleep,there is plenty of time for weight loss when you feel better and dont worry about not feeling hungry..i didnt eat properly for about a week post op but then my appetite came back with a vengence lol..

hang in there,you'll be fine

hello everyone i am having my surgery on friday feb 13 i am so excited but nervous but i am ready to begin my journey the beginning of a new life. I am glad i can read everyones blogs here and all the information given is great thanks for everything and all the info has helped.

I am 9 days out and still not 100%. I still have bad shoulder tip pain, but it is getting better every day.

By about day 6 I was much better. Being able to burp properly without it hurting was the best thing ever :biggrin:

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary but clearly remember that feeling.

WALK, WALK, and WALK.

By day three I started making trips to my gym and would walk, very slowly, for 15 minutes on one day, then 20 minutes, the 25. Within 1 week I was walking a little faster and by week 6 I was able to start running again.

All of that said - WALK! It helps move the gas out, gets your blood flowing which also helps the healing process. Nothing fast - you are not in a race. Just move.

I talked to my doc pre-op and discussed my plan and he approved. Call your docs office, talk to the PA or head nurse whatever and talk about a plan.

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's getting better; I just find myself restless as hell, unable to relax without pain meds, and unable to eat/drink much without that uncomfortable pressure in the middle of my chest. I'm so thirsty, but time myself to only take a tiny sip every minute, but even doing that I get the horrible pressure.

I know I'm only three days out and its too early to know how I ultimately will react to this, but there was a poster on a different thread that said she basically felt this way for 5 years!! No way. If I still feel this way in 3 months I'm having it removed. This is no way to live.