Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 cc in 9 cc Realize Band

My daughter has 8 cc in her 9 cc Realize Band. Isn't it true that the realize band is 9 cc? She can tell its there becuase some things just wont go down. She was banded in April 08. Recently she was in a hurry and grabbed one of the little powder donuts and NO WAY. It came up. However, she had never heard the term "sweet spot". The doc never mentioned it so she didn't know what this was supposed to feel like and the weight loss has stopped and gaining weight has started. The doc is three hours away so that has made things more difficult and we've had to reschedule a number of times becuase of winter weather. The other thing is that her doc will fill no more than every 4 weeks. Apparently he had some bad experiences with swelling etc. in some patients. So that has slowed her down. Anyhow she has not reached her sweet spot and she is trying to diet and lets face it, if that was an option she wouldn't have had surgery. Anyone else have to have this much Fluid before getting restriction. I just was so excited for her but now the months are just ticking by with no real progress. Then its wait another month and another month. A family member asked recently is she had her band removed or something. Thats bad. Fills were large at first. Fills were 5 cc, 1/2 cc, 1 cc, 1 cc, 1/2 cc, and still not there yet. Any encouraging words anyone. Anyone else who had this? And if so did you EVER get there and how are you doing now? I'm beginning to think the dietician is not thrilled but if it was all about low carb high Protein and nothing else then like I said she wouldn't have had surgery. And if she is at 8 already what happens when she starts to lose? There's not much more that can go in.:lol:

People probably aren't answering this post a lot because they don't want to be critical to what appears to be an obvious problem.

First rule of being banded is to get the proper follow up care, but you admit you have been missing appointments.

From what you are saying, you were not really properly educated about post op dieting with the band. The simple answer is, yes it is about Protein. If your daughter is getting the Protein she is suppose to be getting, eating it first, and following the other band rules, the dietician probably wouldn't be getting mad.

The other rules, excercise and yes you still have to pay attention to calories in versus calories out.

It could be that she is ignoring a fundamental rule of banding, that is you must eat only enough to not be hungry, and not until you feel full.

Honestly I suspect all of the above, with maybe a dash of improper evaluation of if she was a good candidate for lapband.

It sounds like you thought the lapband was like Gastric Bypass. But in reality even Gastric Bypass patients don't lose the weight if they don't eat correctly.

My suggestion....find someone close by and pay them to start doing aftercare because it appears your current situation isn't working. They in reality will probably need to start with education and maybe get you together with a support program.

Read post after post already on this board and you will learn what you need to know. It may be that you aren't willing to do the things necessary to use a lapband to lose weight.

That is unfortunate if true, because you could have done something else or done nothing at all and saved the money.

As for the the 8cc in a 9cc band.....have they ever drawn the Fluid in the band out to see how much is really in there? It could be a leak, or maybe she isn't really that filled?

Well I must admit that that didn't really help. You just had surgery two weeks ago so I don't know if you completely understand yet. If I made it sound as if she is not following any of the rules then I need to correct myself. She is trying to follow the rules of Protein first and limiting carbs. Our doc does not talk so much about calories just the number of grams of protein you need and what number of grams to keep the carbs under. Occasionally in a hurry she will grab something on impulse that she probably shouldn't. She does exercise at least three times a week. My question was does anybody else have this much Fluid in their Realize band and not reached the sweet spot yet. If so, I'd appreciate your imput.

jaffa steve, you know I just read over you post again and I really don't think you thoughts were very nice or encouraging. How would come up with all that from what I said. I mean like how she wasn't a good candidate for surgery????? How did you come up with that? Yes we did have to reschedule twice but I'm not able to drive in a level three snow emergency. I don't think that makes my daughter a poor candidate for surgery. WOW!

I hope your experience is as perfect as you invision it will be. But I can only assume that you will have challenges along the way too.

And no they haven't taken all the Fluid out and checked to really see whats there. We plan to have him do that at the next appointment in two weeks.

I have read of people on LBT that have the Realize Band and are almost filled to capacity without reaching their sweet spot.

I believe you are correct that the Realize Band does hold 9cc, but I am not an expert on this band as I have the LapBand AP.

You might want to post this question on the Realize Band thread. And/or research that thread. I bet someone on that thread will have some helpful information. I am sorry I cannot offer more than that.

I am sorry that the results from this particular band are not what you hoped for. Take care!

Here is a link to it. Realize Band Surgery (NEW!) - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

I think you might have better feedback if you

Re read your own post. I am addressing your specific complaints, along with your original question. I am responding specifically to what you are saying, and I am specifically saying what it could be, or what it sounds like from your limited post.

Frankly, this sounds a lot like the people who say things like "I'm eating half of what I used to but not losing weight". Well if you are still eating more calories then you are burning then you are not going to lose weight.

May I suggest you get her a bodybugg and track exactly what the balance is on a daily basis.

Hey your the one who brought up a hole bunch of other issues with the band then the 8cc in a 9cc band part of the question. Maybe you didn't mean to do that? Maybe you just want a post like this?

Oh I'm so sorry the band isn't working for her. I'm sure it isn't her fault at all. I'm sure the band has worked for so many by placebo affect and that you to are just to smart for it to work this way.

Your right though, I should have just ignored your post like most others. And you should have just asked the question about 8cc in a 9cc band, if that is all you wanted to know. I mistakenly thought you brought up the other issues because you didn't understand, but your post says just the opposite.

I think anyone who doesn't lose weight on the band is very likely a person who shouldn't of had the band, it is nothing personal. Why they aren't losing seems to almost always be the same reasons. It has been proven over and over in threads on this site and by peoples own admissions.

I have the realize band -

My doctor told me that it holds between 10-12 cc's.

Keep in mind this is one the I have as there may be different ones as well.

Follow-up with your doc and ask a lot of questions.

Re read your own post. I am addressing your specific complaints, along with your original question. I am responding specifically to what you are saying, and I am specifically saying what it could be, or what it sounds like from your limited post.

Frankly, this sounds a lot like the people who say things like "I'm eating half of what I used to but not losing weight". Well if you are still eating more calories then you are burning then you are not going to lose weight.

May I suggest you get her a bodybugg and track exactly what the balance is on a daily basis.

Hey your the one who brought up a hole bunch of other issues with the band then the 8cc in a 9cc band part of the question. Maybe you didn't mean to do that? Maybe you just want a post like this?

Oh I'm so sorry the band isn't working for her. I'm sure it isn't her fault at all. I'm sure the band has worked for so many by placebo affect and that you to are just to smart for it to work this way.

Your right though, I should have just ignored your post like most others. And you should have just asked the question about 8cc in a 9cc band, if that is all you wanted to know. I mistakenly thought you brought up the other issues because you didn't understand, but your post says just the opposite.

I think anyone who doesn't lose weight on the band is very likely a person who shouldn't of had the band, it is nothing personal. Why they aren't losing seems to almost always be the same reasons. It has been proven over and over in threads on this site and by peoples own admissions.

You know what? You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You haven't even been banded for a month yet. Have you ever heard or read the term, "Bandster hell?" I think that it is quite obvious you have not. It is when one has a band without restriction. It's like buying an expensive car with four flat tires... it's not going to go far.

You are a newbie, you have a lot to learn. You haven't even hit true bandster hell yourself yet. To be that rude, mean, and just plain wrong to someone asking for help is not wise. You never know when you might be asking the same question... you know, when you get a little band time in.

Without proper restriction it is no different from having no band at all. If ANY of us could do this without a working tool we wouldn't have needed surgery. That includes you too.

WOW you have issues.:thumbdown: Do you make a habit of attacking people? I doubt if an attitude like yours will be welcome on this forum. At no time did I say the band wasn't going to work for her. It's just not where it needs to be yet. It will work. This is for a lifetime. The ten months that she has been trying to get to her sweet spot are just a bump in the road. My question was simply about the large amount that she already has in the band without reaching the sweet spot. I am going to refrain from going on with this eventhough it is quite tempting.

Read your post again. It is not simply asking the question you wanted.

But I understand what your saying, it isn't what you really wanted to know. And for that I am sorry.

I just don't agree with someone not having restriction after 10 months. It's not that I don't believe you, its why I think you need to find someone else.

And yes I'm new, thats why I only talk about what I have been told and what I have read here, doesn't make it true, so take it or leave it.

My post may come off as attacking you, but that is not my intent, so again, I apologize.

You don't and can't know my intent, so why don't you just lay off with the whole "your not welcome here thing". It smells.

Some people believe that you can't say anything you have learned unless you have experienced it yourself.

This is probably the silliest of notions on this planet.

Some people believe that you can't say anything you have learned unless you have experienced it yourself.

This is probably the silliest of notions on this planet.

That's a cop out. Nobody made any such claim. There are plenty of people that can understand the basics of a band without being banded.

There is a problem with ALL the newer and bigger bands, a great deal of people are not reaching a sweet spot, they are overfilling the band to try and reach restriction. This was not a problem with the older bands. So much for the newer bands being so great.

Instead of wagging that finger and trying the tough love route, why not stick with the facts?

Ten months and no sweet spot.. this I agree with you. Unless the banded person is underage, or mentally/emotionally unable to care for herself it is her responsibility to get herself to her doctor for fills and such. There could be financial issues, there could be a band issues, faulty band, there could be a lot of issues. The key here is to determine what the actual issue is and provide answers from there vs. lecturing and insulting.

I agree. And I am sorry if it sounded like I was lecturing, I really wasn't trying to do that at all. I was trying to suggest that something needed to be done differently or that they may have a problem. Or that they didn't really understand how the band works and how it can be defeated. I did come up with many opinions from the post that may or may not be true.

I agree. And I am sorry if it sounded like I was lecturing, I really wasn't trying to do that at all. I was trying to suggest that something needed to be done differently or that they may have a problem. Or that they didn't really understand how the band works and how it can be defeated. I did come up with many opinions from the post that may or may not be true.

A sincere, thank you. You are very cool in my book.

Tough love is a much needed issue sometimes, I'm the first to hand it out as necessary. But I have learned there is a time and place. When you have all the info,... then go for it! ;o)