Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - slight unfill before a vacation?

I am hestiant to ask the question for fear of being flogged, but here goes....:)

I have been banded for over a year, doing just fine on my weight loss - not perfect, but acceptable. Anyway, I am filled to the point where 2 weeks a month it is sweet/tight the other two weeks (around TOM) I am a bit tight and I have to be SUPER careful.

I am going on a cruise and I do not expect to go 'Crazy' but want to experience a little of the variety. I certainly won't be eating bread, soda and all of the 'bad' foods but wondered if any of you had every had a slight unfill before going on a vacation or holiday etc?

It seems like a reasonable thing to do but wondered everyone elses perspective....

Thanks

Personally I'd want an unfill anyway, but that's just me. First off there are no "bad" foods...there's food that is nutrient dense, and some that isn't; but IMHO food is food. We make bad CHOICES sometimes! :)

My surgeon (bless the man) feels that in order to have long term success, we should be able to eat essentially anything. While he stresses Protein, variety is the spice of life, and variety keeps us from becoming mind-numbingly bored to death. Only you will know if an unfill for you can be a good thing or a bad thing.

I hope you don't get flogged for your question. I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask this question.

I'm still in the weight loss phase, and I'm not wanting to add more calories while on vacation, but I did ask my doctor at my list visit about an upcoming trip, and what I should do if I would get into some sort of bad "stuck" situation. I'll be out of the country, and while not in the middle of nowhere, it's a small island, that you can only get to quickly by plane. There is a hospital there, at least. He said, that if I was at my "sweet spot", I could come in and have .2cc (I think that's the amount he said, but it could have been 2cc) removed. I am at my sweet spot, but so far, I've not pb'ed or had any real problems with food, as long as I'm careful. I'm going to play it by ear, as the date gets closer as to what I decide to do.

On a ship, you don't want to run into any kind of medical emergency either, so I would think it might be prudent for you to get a slight unfill. Also, I understand that this is a special trip for you, and while not wanting to go "overboard" (sorry, had to say it), it makes sense that you want to be a little more adventuresome with your food choices.

I would consider it, just to make sure I don't have any problems. It really depends on how consistent you are on tightness....it sounds like you very a little, so I would be a little nervous. What will cost you a little ahead of time could save you a ton, if you needed care on the ship or you aren't able to enjoy your vacation.

You are going to be going on an airline, maybe drinking, and going to beaches and hotter weather then you are used to, so all of these things are likely to make your hydration level change. You need to take extra care to really drink a lot of Water to help.

If it is a way to eat anything you please, then you may do more damage then good.

I don't think it is a bad idea at all!!! After all isn't the band all about living a new life!!! If you are going on a cruise don't you want to be comfortable eating with the others and not having to worry about getting stuck!!! You have been at this long enough to know when to stop eating and to not over do it!!! Just because you are considering a little unfill doesnt make you bad:) just experienced with your band!! I have had my band since oct. 07 and i am at 3 1/2 cc and i am going to get 1/4cc out wed. Because i feel that i am leaning towards soft foods instead of the foods that i like, due to getting stuck!! Therefore, i am not eating good foods like salads and meat ect. Just mostly Protein Shakes and mushies, with some exceptions. Go with your heart and get an unfill for the cruise!! You are an experienced bandster not a newbie. Be confindent in your experience and enjoy your cruise, the band isn't about being denied of food it is learning Portion Control and judgment and it sounds like you are doing great!!!

i would get a slight unfill, not necessarily to pig out on the cruise...but your tight 2wks out of a month & therefore could experience more restriction after being on a plane/boat & not likely able to get an unfill by the ships dr. (??)

i'm getting a small unfill wed, before heading out on a skii trip thursday....i'm trying to find the least amt of restriction needed for somewhat maintenance mode. plus i plan on doing a lot of exercise snowboarding/skiing that i'll want/need to eat (need calories to burn them) :lol:

no flogging here!

I think your question is reasonable and you should not be flogged for feedback.

I personally, would not get an unfill for the cruise, as it implies my primary focus of the cruise is food. Will you not be able to eat on the cruise as you eat now at home? Why the need for the unfill? Is it because you want to consume more food than what you can now? If it is, I would question the real reason why you are going on the cruise. Is the cruise for eating or sight seeing?

How will you explain the slight unfill to your doctor?

I also wonder where does the bad food concept derive from? There are no bad foods.

Good luck!

A tiny unfill does not sound like a bad idea. it will afford you the ability to be more adventurous with your food, and you may make a bunch of REALLY healthy choices, and continue to be losing. If so, you might choose not to get that Fluid put in for awhile. I am at a very sweet spot right now, but cannot eat everything I want. I am planning that when my weight loss finally stabilizes (I am still losing), I might get that small unfill and just maintain from there. I'd like the opportunity to choose additional foods that don't go down well right now... but right now the weight loss is really nice, so I'm staying where I am... for now. :lol: Have a GREAT trip!

KG - thanks - your post is exactly what I am going through.. you were much more eloquent

Lulu - your progress has been great too and I will be just like you, actually more exercise and running around so I will go in for a slight fill.

All - thanks for the ideas/support and lack of flogging!

I am thinking of going down .2 or .3 cc's I know that doesnt sound like much but before my last fill of .5 I was totally unrestricted....

funny that I run into this thread a little over a week before my scheduled vacation. I'm due for an appointment on Monday but think that I will pass up on a fill, I've contemplated having a slight unfill but mostly because it took most of the month to be able to eat period. maybe, they will tell me I'm not due for a fill anyway. I had a fill last month and it seemed to irritate me on up to my throaght, like i've said this week is the first week that I've actually felt not scared to take a bite of food. I'm at 4.5 cc in a 10cc band. banded in sept and have a twisted port so unfills aren't so easy for me, they can fill but have problems retrieving Fluid after it's put in. everybody talks about a sweet spot and i'm still not sure what exactly that feels like or if i have reached that point, i'm still learning as i go, I do know I now feel satisfied after eating but i have to concentrate and be very careful when swallowing because it can be kind of uncomfortable when i eat. eating is not a pleasure at all anymore and frankly that is ok with me. your question is very valid and I imagine it's crossed everybodies minds now and then. bon voyage and have fun!!!

What worries me is that slight unfills can often be anything but uncomplicated, you may find yourself STARVING and giving into temptation and gain a ton of weight. I cannot believe the difference removing 0.2cc made to me.

Personally, i would never touch my band just for the sake of a vacation. I can eat what I want to in small quantities anyway and I'd rather the joy of coming home the same weight as i left than sampling food that I just dont really care about. But if you are experiencing tighteness, that in itself might mean a small unfill is prudent.