Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one else starving ?

I was banded on jan 23rd 09 ..and the last few days I have been starving...protein shakes don't do anything for me. I tried eating regular food and I have no problem eating that ..seems all I want to do is eat.. is this normal? I obvoisly have no restriction what so ever ...I have healed really well..no real discomfort at all. What do you guys think ?

i was also banded on the 23rd, and I'm also pretty hungry, but I keep myself filled with liquids. I'm constantly sipping on Water or crystal light. I do my Protein split up and I'm sure I have it for "dinner" to keep myself full thru the night.

I'd never even think of trying regular food yet... shoot... I get to start on Valentines day and that seems soon enough.

I'm doing lots of SF pudding, and that tides me over for at least 2 hrs....seems thicker and keeps longer. Also my surgeon said I can do unlimited liquids, so I don't have to keep it to 1/2 cup of broth, I can sip a whole can if I want.

I also have no restriction yet...they put it in empty and give you your first fill at your 4-6week checkup.

Are you supposed to be eating regular foods this early out? I was banded on the 19th and I'm still on liquids.

Yes, in the last few days I have started to experience real hunger. This stage is tough and you have to rely on some willpower. Please stick to your surgeon's plan. Restriction could be several fills away. Good luck!!

I think you should STOP EATING SOLID FOODS!!!

The post op diet sucks, yes... but you have to remember that the band is not a cure for an eating problem, it's a tool to help you and right now, your tool is working at 10%. You need a fill, of course, to get the REAL difference.

With that being said, the post-op diet aint' for nothin', hon. You can seriously damage your band and your stomach if you don't follow the post op diet. You will be able to eat food just fine, but your stomach is healing... it just underwent a MAJOR change and needs time to adjust. You eating liquids, then semi-solids *is* that time it needs.

Stop eating solids. Do you really want your whole surgery to be for nothing RIGHT BEFORE you get a fill and start seeing real results???

I thought the same thing about having an empty band. When I went for my one-week check-up, he told me it has 7cc's.

I find that kind of hard to believe. I was banded 15 days ago, and I am STARVING.

I've been drinking the Protein shakes, with Water (he also forbid me from having dairy).

All day long I am constantly drinking Water, crystal lite, snapple, and sugar free icepops.

And I can seriously say I am straight up starving.

He didn't give me the go ahead for anything else yet. For the first week I thought it was all in my head. I can't possibly be THIS hungry. But I could possibly gnaw my own arm off, if I wasn't a vegetarian.

So I've been having some Soups here and there. Even though he gave me a strict diet. I can't help it. I really and freaking hungry. Which is why I still can't believe he banded me with a band already filled with 7ccs.

And the Protein Shakes are giving me unbelievable gas pains in my lower abdomen. I saw my gastroenterologist, and he gave me a script for Reglan? Hopefully this works.

But the 23rd wasn't that long ago. Real foods to me sounds like a bad idea. Less than a week. I know the stomach area around the band needs time to heal, whether or not you don't feel discomfort while eating.

It's a real pain in the butt, but the 2nd stage of mushy foods shouldn't be that far off.

Unless you have my doctor who is probably trying to break my will to eat. Haha. I have another 5 days until mushy foods.

I don't think you should be eating regular food yet your stomach is still healing on the inside and by eating regular foods you make the stomach move around more trying to digest the food. I had surgery 12/22 and I just starting the regular diet this week. I know it's tough you do get hungry I just ate lots of broth and Protein Shakes just try to keep drinking I wouldn't try regular food you don't want to mess anything up. Good luck I hope it gets easier.

Are you supposed to be eating regular foods this early out? I was banded on the 19th and I'm still on liquids.

Hi NurseMelly, hope your and all others are doing well. I too was banded 1/19. I had my follow up appointment yesterday and the NP advanced me to baked fish. So not only am I allowed mushies, i can also have baked flakey meats.

They even scheduled my first fill for 2/20. They said they would give me 3 cc.

Its so strange how different doctors have such very different standards.

I'm sorry they still have you on liquids. Be strong.

This post may make me unpopular, but here goes:

I think the language we use reflects the over-importance those with weight issues have given to food.

I frequently see language on this site like 'starving', 'dying of hunger', etc. I think part of what the liquids phase and bandster hell phase should give us is reassurance that hunger is ... JUST HUNGER. It's not a life-threatening condition. None of us are in any danger of starving to death. There are no serious ill effects from short term calorie deprivation. We need to be stronger than the hunger. In the short term we should be able to just work through it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I can't remember her name, but one weight loss expert used to make her clients go six or 8 hours without eating- not every day but ONCE- and fat people would be terrified of the hunger, but would live through it and learn from it.

When I feel uncomfortably hungry, my technique is to remind myself of the millions of people for whom this is their normal state of being, because they are chronically hungry due to poverty. When I frame it that way it really doesn't seem like that big a deal. I know my body would like some food, but I also know it will be just fine if it doesn't get it right now.

MLE, I would not proceed with regular food until your doctor gave you permission to do so. I presuming they did not, sorry if my assumption is wrong.

Please be very careful with your post-op diet instructions. Your stomach is healing. If you are suppose to be on liquids right now, then please get back on them. You have come way to far to risk your healing process.

Increase the liquid Protein even more. Call your doctor and ask if you can move to full liquids or if he/she will allow yogurt or sf pudding. I know the Bandster Hell stage is difficult, we have been there too, but we know how important this phase is so talk to your doctor about your post-op diet.

Best regards.

Hi NurseMelly, hope your and all others are doing well. I too was banded 1/19. I had my follow up appointment yesterday and the NP advanced me to baked fish. So not only am I allowed mushies, i can also have baked flakey meats.

They even scheduled my first fill for 2/20. They said they would give me 3 cc.

Its so strange how different doctors have such very different standards.

I'm sorry they still have you on liquids. Be strong.

Wow! That's fast! I don't get my first fill till March 10th but they are pretty aggressive with fills. He said he was going to give me about 4.5 cc.

How are you feeling? I'm still having some port pain. It really feels like an uncomfortable pulling. I think I just heal slow.

I get to start mushies this weekend. YAY!!

Call me crazy but I love it when my belly growls and rumbles. It had been years since I actually felt hungry. Now it serves as a reminder that No, I do not need to eat all the time. And I have seriously have become use to it growling. And with a little will power and my band I will be thin and healthier one day!

Hang in there! It gets better.

My stomach growled for the first time this evening and I had to double check with myself before I even realized that's what it was. I was banded Jan 27th this week. Haven't been hungry, but am keeping a steady flow of liquids in and am making sure I get in my Protein throughout the day. I was starting to feel a little strange going days with out feeling that "hunger pain" my body normally sends me. I am on full liquids for the next 2 wks, I definitely wouldn't be trying regular foods. That thought just scares me after all the hard work I've gone through to get to this point.