Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss fast food?

I have kids ranging from 9 to 15, so we go to a lot of fast food places. I can't eat burgers at all, they always get stuck. I can eat most chicken nuggets or strips. The bowls at taco bell work pretty well. I usually get salads at ChickFilA and either the Chili (which my doctor says is bad because it usually goes through the band easy) or a chicken salad at Wendy's (but I can't eat the whole thing). I eat chicken strips at Whataburger and haven't been in a McDonalds since before being banded.

We are no longer big fast food eaters since I've become a foodie and love to cook... BUT, there are times when I'm at work and need to grab something at lunch or decide the last thing I want to do is go home and even look at the stove... The following are my 'go-tos' and I do enjoy them...

McD's- fruit and Yogurt Parfait, Ice Cream Cones, coffee

Burger King- Whopper Jr. No Bun. YUM!

Wendy's- Chili, Spicy chicken Wrap (without most of the wrap)

Taco Bell- Cruncy Taco Supreme, Refried Beans

Sonic- Fritos Wrap, $1 burger

i know that i definitely miss fast food! i ate it probably 4-5 times a week at least. Since my surgery I've had it 2 or 3 times and each time I've gotten chicken nuggets. I used a lot of sauce on them to make them go down a little bit easier.

My cravings for bacon cheesburgers aren't nearly as bad as they were before...lol Another craving that I have is for Jimmy John's! I love their bread so much! They do an "unwich" which has the same meat at a sub, but its wrapped with lettuce instead. That would be fine, but I crave the bread and not the meat! lol

I've found that I spend a lot more at the grocery store now, but I'm spending less money on food overall which is nice.

i have 3 kids and we end up at sonic alot. I usually get the 1 dollar chicken strip sandwich and toss the bread. i order a side of gravy that comes with the chicken basket. I use teh gravy to dunk my chicken strip in to make it go down easier. I usually can only eat one strip though. My kids fight over the second one. LOL

Wendys has a baked potato that i have had a few times.

Taco bell I am with everyone else the refreid Beans or a taco works ok.

mcdonalds i usually do the chicken nuggets with BBQ Sauce. the 4 peice one and usually dont finish that.

no for the kicker ... Its like yu cant leave a fast food joint with out ice cream LOL Sonic has a jr. candy sundae for 1 dollar I usually have one of them to... I know sham on me!!

Thank you all so much for your responses! They have been so helpful. I am going to schedule my surgery Monday and can't wait to get this journey started. You are all inspirational. Keep up the good work and I hope to be a success story soon.

Hi, Shelly, I was a fast food addict and wondered the same thing as you before being banded December 5. I attempted to eat hamburger since my surgery and it was unsuccessful. I have discovered that I cannot tolerate fast foods. As SunnyRachel said, KFC works best for me if I'm out.

I honestly do not desire fast food anymore and am content to stick with fish (cod fillets are my favorite) and chicken thigh. I love my band amd the way it has helped discipline my food choices. I still eat some sweets in moderation, but my weight is dropping. Good luck.

I have kids too, so we go to mcdonalds on the weekends that I don't have to work. Now that it's winter, that is one of our big outings, my 2yo loves the playplace. We've stayed 2hours sometimes so they can play with the other kids and run around crazy. I usually get a 10 piece nugget and split it with the 2yo, and get him a chocolate milk. Neither of us like fries much to we just skip them. Sometimes I'll get a double cheeseburger. I always ask for a knife and fork anyway, because he likes his food in bite size pieces, so I'll throw the bun away and eat the meat with a fork. I haven't done taco bell yet, there isn't much that you can eat with a fork there. I find if I can use utensils, I can eat smaller bites, than with things you have to pick up and eat with your hands, I always get stuck. Burger King is the same thing, but we like onion rings, so we spilt one of them with our chicken nuggets. It's a treat that doesn't happen often, twice a month or less.

Darn you McDonalds and your 2 Big Macs for $3.00 deal! Darn you to heck!

Oops. Sorry about that. Big Macs were a major weakness for me. I think it's the special sauce.

Now, if I feel the need for fast food, I do Wendy's chili or a kid's meal hamburger and I toss half the bun.

I'm getting pretty good at going through the Sonic Drive-thru and only getting an unsweetened iced tea (extra ice - their ice rocks), but it is hard at times.

This thread is helping me. I am 6 days post-op and my fast food cravings are killing me! I love hamburgers. Sweet goodness. I want one so bad. meat meat MEAT

Today I went to the movies with my sister (meaning I left the house in my car for the first time since the surgery), and I had to pass all the yummy places.

I am getting a little cranky bc I have no restriction, but have to be on this clear liquid diet for another week! Then I move to full liquids for another week. I wish I could be on full liquids now. All I am asking for is for some creme of chicken Soup or Tomato Soup.

But its reassuring to know that I will eventually be able to eat some fast food again. And that hopefully, I will crave it less.

Thanks for all the posts!

i DO crave fast food less since being banded. but when i do get the urge, i get a kid size meal and eat the burger without the bun, and if i'm craving the want fries (it isn't each time i go) i'll probably have anywhere from 3-6 fries; this cures me for a while. sometimes i substitute the fries for the "healthier choices." apple slices, apple sauce, side salad, etc.

I am going to schedule my surgery Monday and can't wait to get this journey started.

Hi, Shelley! Be sure to let us know when the big day is! Congratulations!!! Trust me, you will quickly find that you look at food in such a different way once you have your band. :tongue2:

I don't actually miss fast food because I never was a heavy fast food eater. I do occasionally get my chick fil a nuggets and mcdonald's fries, but that's only on occasion. I do crave grilled chicken salad and have a little bit of a hard time eating it now.

I really don't miss fast food... however, i do eat at taco bell in an emergency. A crisp taco seems to be something cheap and easy for me to eat if I need food and can't get something home made or from some place else.

I have saved tons of $$$$$ from not eating fast food.

The only place I eat fast food is Wendys. And that's for a large chili.

I don't miss it at all.

I was just banded 1-19-09. I was a fast food/junk food junkie. I was quit surprised when I took my kids to Mc D's that it didn't really bother me as much as I expected. I hope it gets to were I don't even care if I eat it.