Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question on after the lap Band Surgery

Well for me it was a matter of Portion Control issues. I would eat huge plates of food, plus have lots and lots of unhealthy Snacks.

Yes, with the band I do get hungry, but I cannot eat as much food as I did before. I use to eat 3,000 to 3,500 calories a day and now I consume around 1,200 a day with a fill.

Over the holidays, I would have treats. However, the portions were controlled. As an example, in the past, I would eat the whole 1-pound of Sees candy, but now I am content with one piece of the candy.

My band restricts the amount of food I can eat. I am 30 pounds down in two months. I am pleased with my resukts thus far. I specifically selected the band, because the weight loss is slower, there are fewer complications, and it is less evasive.

Good luck!

Increditable, you have lost 30 pounds in two months. Congrats. Yes, the great benefit of this surgery is to get full quickly. Usually how long does a meal fill your up? I mean after one meal, how soon would you feel hungry again?

The sweet tooth thing is a huge consideration. If you are a huge sweet eater, most sweets go down very easily, and if you aren't mindful, you can really put yourself into a situation where you don't lose weight. My mindset has been one of eating normal foods, and it has worked very well for me. I don't diet, or count calories, because at my perfect restriction, I no longer have the food obsession.

Don't feel pressured to make your decision quickly. Do all of the research until you feel comfortable with your decision. The band takes work. You will forever have to follow up with your doctor with this procedure.

Hi, even after your band gives you perfect trestriction, you still have to go back to your doctor to follow up on a regular base?

It is definatly a long term comittment to your Dr, Thats why you really need to like them. I was told by my DR that I needed to stay local for at least 2 years, I will have to see him regularly till I hit my sweet spot, then I have to go in once every 3 motnhs till 2 years is up, after that he said once a year. You have to keep in mind there are things that can happen at any time and you need to be able to get to your Dr if you need to. It was tough for me to make that comittment cause I hate the area I live in and can hardly wait to move, He did say that If I moved after my 2 years that there are bariatric Dr's in most of the bigger cities and I may have to drive to get to one but thats ok too, I will worry about that when the time comes.:tt2:

You will have things come up. I was at my sweet spot, and for no reason, my band got ridiculously tight. There was worry that it had slipped. My doc had to order an upper GI, and then I had to go for an unfill. I will have to go back for followup after my stomach is healed from the irritation. You may get sick and need an unfill, etc. You will have to see your doc forever, or find a new one. This is a lifetime commitment.

Emma-

I agree with everyone else, you and your doctor should consider what is best for you. I had a friend of mine who had the bypass done 5 years ago, she lost over 200lbs but now, she has gained back about 75% of that. There are no guarantees which way you go. It is something you need to resolve your self to that this is a lifestyle change not just one of restriction.

I think the important thing is to do what you think is right, don't let your friend convince you to do something... your the one who has to live with your decision and your doctor can verify, it is not a guarantee either way. Best of luck to you.

You are the only one that has to live with the decision you make. Don't go by the amount of weight or the short time it took certain people put stars in your eyes. Know that YOU are ready and willing to put the hard work into yourself. I never had very good restriction until year 2. Willpower is still needed on a daily basis. You will still get hungry. Exercise doesn't automatically become easier or more fun if it was something you normally didn't do. You will still use the same excuses for not doing it. The honeymoon period will wear off. You will get cravings that are hard to deny. If you want to you will be able to eat around the band. There is no guarentee you will feel full with smaller portions. Or that you will feel full longer. It does not solve compulsive eating problems. You may wonder why I am telling you all the negatives. Well every one of these issues I have dealt with. It has been a long hard road for me. After almost 3 years I still don't have everything figured out. I am a work in progress. Every day seems to bring the same choice I had before the band "Am I worth it, and is this worth it". My answer most days are "YES". Good Luck!

Do what you think it is best for you. The Dr. left it up to me. I chose Lap Band. And I'm glad I did it. No regrets. I'm going to be 5 mo. out in 2 days. Already lost 41 lbs. I thought it was slow but my Dr. says I'm doing really great. I lose now 6.5 - 7 lbs a month. My inches is sure down sizing. Started out size 18w-20w, 16w tight. 5 months later I'm a regular 14 jeans. So happy. You can do it also. Still learning what I can and not eat. But sure eating way less. I don't count calories, just Portion Control. Protein and Vegetables. I try to eat and do try anything. when I exercise that is when I lose more. Good Luck to you. Jeannie

I love my band! I also didn't know which way to go but I'm really glad I went with the band. The deciding factor was that if I get pregnant I don't have to worry about malabsorbtion and I can get an unfill so that I can get enough food. Also with bypass your pouch can stretch and you can't do anything about it. With the band if you lose restriction you just get a fill. As for the sweets you probably wouldn't be able to get full off of them because they would go right through your port. you need to choose foods that stick in your pouch so that you don't get hungry.

I'm a binge eater. This isn't a cure all that's for sure. You can eat around the band especially if you are a sweet eater. I will be honest and say that I have been struggling in the past two weeks. I am 4 months out and I'm not sure if the honeymoon is over but I can tell you that it is only a tool.

However, I have lost 48lbs and I would rather be where I"m at now then where I came from.

It's up to me to get it together and do what needs to be done so that's why I will be discussing these issues with my dr. soon, very very soon!

Hi, I'd like to share with everyone that I am going to be banded tomorrow morning - 03/09/2009. I am excited and nervous. Hopefully everything works out right. I've been put on a liquid diet for the past two weeks and so far I've lost 15 pounds. Unfortunately I caught a flu/cold the day before yesterday. I've been taking tyleno cold for it. Hopefully it won't cause any issue or problem for my surgery tomorrow.

I am totally for the lapband diet. Gastric bypass surgery is way too risky with the death rate involved. They are also cutting and rerouting things and that's not right. At least with lapband it's reversible if there are too many problems.

My current weight before surgery was 313 lbs and I was a cookieholic, chocoholic, and a cakeaholic. I had to have some kind of sweet every day pretty much. My portions were also out of control.

When I went on the Protein diet approximately 2 1/2 weeks before my surgery my family thought i'd never get through it. I got thru it, had the surgery done and now i'm back onto regular solid foods again and let me tell you the way I look at food now I am a completely different person.

I do not crave sweets at all. I was a major chocoholic and I do not crave chocolate the way I used to. My family is even impressed with the way i've changed my life. I have lost 33 lbs so far. I even exercise 2-3 days a week!!!

I'm anxious to see how you're doing and how you feel since your new "birthday"!