Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Your Support Right Now :(

Amy-

As someone who has had her fair share of medical issues, don't underestimate the role of stress. When I went through one of my worst medical problems, I became depressed from not knowing why I wasn't quite right and then ate to stop the worry, tiredness, and depression.

You have gone through a lot and by being critical of yourself and in looking back instead of ahead, you are undermining your weightloss.

If you are doing the right thing and the scale moves slowly, so be it. Focus on the small things you can control. I.E. Did you drink all you Water, did you eat at regularly intervals,etc.

Good luck and I am glad to hear your health seems to be turning around.

I was also Banded on 8/13/08. I haven't posted for so long do to I was discouraged and thinking that I wasn't loosing enough to even be worthy of posting. I have lost a total of 40lbs. of which 16 was before the band. I have my 3rd fill scheduled for Feb. 26th. I am definitely feeling restriction...but still no loss. I feel your frustration! I just wanted to remind you that your not alone. I also want to thank you for reminding me of the same!!!!

WE CAN DO THIS - we have ALL come entirely too far to fail now! I think it is just harder for some of us.

If being STUBBORN can somehow turn into PERSEVERANCE...

I think I can make it - and U can 2!:thumbup:

Hang in there! I am not one of those big losers but I am proud of the 35 lbs. I lost 20 of that very quickly and I have been working on the 15 lbs since October. I even gained almost 10 lbs at Christmas when my son was in the hospital having surgery.

I am reading "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Robert Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. It has helped in a lot of ways but one is adjusting my thinking to the slower weight loss. I was thinking that I was failing because it was going so slowly. ON THE CONTRARY, the book reinforces the idea that as we loose more slowly (than other gastric surgeries) we learn a new lifestyle that will hopefully mean life long weightloss not just a temporary fix.

I am hanging my hat on that and continuing to try to modify my lifestyle and eating habits to make a healthier me and in turn a lighter me as well.

Hang in there! We can do this! One pound at a time is OK.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping this thread going. Still about the same weight I've been: 22-23-ish pounds lost in the six months since banding.

I'm beginning to realize a few more things about this process for me. First, I think I should get and read the book that tutornmom suggested, just as another tool in my arsenal.

Second, I'm realizing two things about my physiology that I suspected for a while, but can now pretty much confirm. The first is that I do NOT have a normal "you are now full" signal. I lost that about 9 years before I was banded, and I don't really have one now. There are two foods that I know I will almost always PB, so I stay away from them - pizza and rice (I miss my vegetable sushi!). Sometimes dry poultry as well, but not as often. No problems with any other foods as long as I chew it all up well.

The second is that I can eat around my band, even at what is probably close to if not a good restriction. I have read and followed the suggestions on the "Five Day Pouch Test" site and tend to follow the guidelines there in terms of "challenging" my pouch and limiting or avoiding slider food. It isn't easy all the time, but I do ok with that most of the time.

I mean that even when I've eaten an appropriate meal portion I can still revert to my bad habit of eating until I'm ready to burst or I lose interest in eating anything more, as I did before I was banded. I don't fill up on junk either - I mean like having four chicken thighs and legs at one meal not one, 10 oz. of steak not 4 oz, things like that. Or a lot of veggies after I've eaten my Protein. I do have some carbs, but not many and not everyday or every meal.

I've tried to see whether I do this more when I am feeling bored, lonely, anxious, sad, hurt, happy, excited, etc. to see whether I mood eat, and it doesn't seem to tie in with my emotions, thankfully. So for me it seems to be mostly about retraining my thought processes to match the tools (my band) I now have to use to help me lose the excess weight.

What will I do with this information? I'm not 100% certain yet, but there are a few things I'll put out to you for comments and feedback.

I think I have to suck it up and get VERY serious about Portion Control and forcing myself to stop eating after I finish my allotted food for a meal. I've already made the transition to not drink too soon before a meal, with a meal, or too soon after a meal, and I think with my really focusing my attention I can learn this as well. I think that this alone will make the difference. Keeping a food journal won't work for me - I just don't do it, no matter how many times I've tried.

I don't yet know what to do about the "I still WANT to eat" feeling I get. It isn't tied to emotions or time of day or what I'm doing or not doing. I just want to eat MORE, until I don't want to eat anymore. It's hard to explain that any other way. That's going to be a very interesting challenge to figure out so I can get the better of that issue.

Slowly, as my health is getting better (and I had a little setback this last week where I needed another medication added to my cocktail in order to stop my breaking through with the spinal Fluid problem), I'm getting back to the gym. My body craves this as much as my head does, thankfully. I know this because when we had a session with our Brownie Girl Scouts last week (which I co-lead), we did a whole badge on fitness where we did stretches and balance activities, and my body clearly was aching for more! I have a date with my BFF tomorrow morning to go to our gym and take a yoga class together. I miss yoga and look forward to adding that back into my fitness/workout regiment.

I spend at least twice a week in the gym. I do cardio, stamina/endurance, swimming, and weight training. I don't necessarily do all of my routine each time I go, but do a mix of cardio, stretching, weight training, and endurance each time, depending on how I'm feeling and how much time I have to spend. Lately the how I'm feeling part has been the overriding factor, and here's hoping that I'll be moving forward with that again.

More ideas?

Thanks everyone. You really did so much to help me feel part of a community and not alone in this.

Blessings,

I was diagnosed with psuedo tumor 5 years ago (I was 21), so I know how you feel. I've only had to have one spinal tap (::knocks on wood::thumbup:, and was able to come off of my Diamox within less than a year of being diagnosed and haven't been on 'em since. I take a daily dose of Topomax to keep the Migraines at bay and always have my personal fav Migraine med handy (right now it's Treximet) for when it flares up.

My neuropothomologist gave me so much flack about losing weight when I first got diagnosed, and I tried... sort of. I love food, obviously. But with me keeping track of my "triggers" of what brings on my headaches, keeping an eye on the weather (bariatric pressure), taking the Topomax and losing the 25 lbs I have lost have done an amazing job so far.

((Oh, and have you tried laying on tennis balls? Put two in a sock and put it behind your head on the two knots at the base of your skull and lay on 'em for 20 minutes daily. A chirpractor has a thing that you can lay on you can buy that does the same thing, but I just used the tennis balls since I'd bought a new set for our dog. *lol*))

I was diagnosed with psuedo tumor 5 years ago (I was 21), so I know how you feel. I've only had to have one spinal tap (::knocks on wood::blushing:, and was able to come off of my Diamox within less than a year of being diagnosed and haven't been on 'em since. I take a daily dose of Topomax to keep the Migraines at bay and always have my personal fav Migraine med handy (right now it's Treximet) for when it flares up.

My neuropothomologist gave me so much flack about losing weight when I first got diagnosed, and I tried... sort of. I love food, obviously. But with me keeping track of my "triggers" of what brings on my headaches, keeping an eye on the weather (bariatric pressure), taking the Topomax and losing the 25 lbs I have lost have done an amazing job so far.

((Oh, and have you tried laying on tennis balls? Put two in a sock and put it behind your head on the two knots at the base of your skull and lay on 'em for 20 minutes daily. A chirpractor has a thing that you can lay on you can buy that does the same thing, but I just used the tennis balls since I'd bought a new set for our dog. *lol*))

Thanks so much for this! I didn't know about laying on the tennis balls. I don't think my headaches are migranes, just uncomfortable headaches since I don't need to be in darkness or get barfy from them. I do find I am clenching my teeth from them, though. I'll try the tennis ball things.

I hope my experience with the pseudotumor is as good as yours. So far I've broken through the meds twice and was just put on Lasix last week to see if that would help (which it has not, yet). But then, my opening pressure at my spinal tap was 4 times normal, so I really have a lot to fix here, LOL.

I see the doctor tomorrow. IF he fills me at all, it would only be about 1/2 cc. I think I'm just about, if not at, my sweet spot, and really think that I have to discipline myself NOT to eat around the band.

Thanks again for everything. You've really reassured me in regards to the spinal pressure.

I was banded one day before you and have only lost 20 lbs too. I am very happy with my weight loss! 20 lbs may not be much, but it's more than zero! You just have to stay positive and remind yourself how lucky you are to have the band, that it is working, and that you are losing weight! We are all so lucky, we need to be thankfull and proud of what we have acheived, no matter how little.

Thanks so much for this! I didn't know about laying on the tennis balls. I don't think my headaches are migranes, just uncomfortable headaches since I don't need to be in darkness or get barfy from them. I do find I am clenching my teeth from them, though. I'll try the tennis ball things.

I hope my experience with the pseudotumor is as good as yours. So far I've broken through the meds twice and was just put on Lasix last week to see if that would help (which it has not, yet). But then, my opening pressure at my spinal tap was 4 times normal, so I really have a lot to fix here, LOL.

I see the doctor tomorrow. IF he fills me at all, it would only be about 1/2 cc. I think I'm just about, if not at, my sweet spot, and really think that I have to discipline myself NOT to eat around the band.

Thanks again for everything. You've really reassured me in regards to the spinal pressure.

The tennis balls do help, but I do have to admit they can be annoying at first - but give them a chance. It takes 20 minuts for your cerebral Fluid to travel from your brain thru your system, so thats really all you need to lay on them - make sure you're on the floor, not ona bed.

Did they put you on a regular lasik or something like Diamox? Diamox does the same thing - but that stuff is annnnoying, but works like a charm. It makes carbonated drinks taste horrible, your fingers/toes tingle and obviously you go to the bathroom. I'm not sure what else they put people on, I'd do some research on them and maybe bring it up to them.

I clenched my teeth a lot at first too, I went to Walmart and got me a tooth guard to wear at night, and it helped with those headaches.

The Topomax really just keeps headaches away, before they turn into Migraines. *lol* For some people it helps them lose weight as well - but I wasn't one of those lucky ones. *lol*

Wow your opening pressure was high! Have you been having problems with your eyesight or anything? HOpefully you wont have to go back in for anymore - I hated getting the one I did, freaked me out! My pressure was borderline, but my optic nerve has been swollen this whole time, so they've kept treating me for the IIH.

Keep up on the weight-loss, it'll do amazing things for the IIH!

Hi Amy!

I just wanted to send you a note to show my support. Everyone is different-- I know you've heard that a million times. I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I would have. I was banded 8/20/08 and at first and have had 3 fills and have lost about 50lbs, gained some back, and now I'm losing again. It just wasn't what I expected (it was a lot more work). The truth is that I was majorly preoccupied with my 4-year-old niece being diagnosed with brain cancer the month before, that I didn't really follow my plan.

Now I am fully committed to changing my body and to my own personal journey. Just know that you are not alone, and although some may have great progress- just think of all that you have done. You went ahead and did it!!! That in itself is a huge accomplishment that you made the decision to have the surgery.

Hang in there! You just have to find your way and you will do great!

Hi Amy!

I just wanted to send you a note to show my support. Everyone is different-- I know you've heard that a million times. I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I would have. I was banded 8/20/08 and at first and have had 3 fills and have lost about 50lbs, gained some back, and now I'm losing again. It just wasn't what I expected (it was a lot more work). The truth is that I was majorly preoccupied with my 4-year-old niece being diagnosed with brain cancer the month before, that I didn't really follow my plan.

Now I am fully committed to changing my body and to my own personal journey. Just know that you are not alone, and although some may have great progress- just think of all that you have done. You went ahead and did it!!! That in itself is a huge accomplishment that you made the decision to have the surgery.

Hang in there! You just have to find your way and you will do great!

Thanks Barb.

Good luck to your niece. I hope her journey leads her to a full and complete recovery with no further need for more than monitoring. May she live to be 120!

Amy

The tennis balls do help, but I do have to admit they can be annoying at first - but give them a chance. It takes 20 minuts for your cerebral Fluid to travel from your brain thru your system, so thats really all you need to lay on them - make sure you're on the floor, not ona bed.

Did they put you on a regular lasik or something like Diamox? Diamox does the same thing - but that stuff is annnnoying, but works like a charm. It makes carbonated drinks taste horrible, your fingers/toes tingle and obviously you go to the bathroom. I'm not sure what else they put people on, I'd do some research on them and maybe bring it up to them.

I clenched my teeth a lot at first too, I went to Walmart and got me a tooth guard to wear at night, and it helped with those headaches.

The Topomax really just keeps headaches away, before they turn into Migraines. *lol* For some people it helps them lose weight as well - but I wasn't one of those lucky ones. *lol*

Wow your opening pressure was high! Have you been having problems with your eyesight or anything? HOpefully you wont have to go back in for anymore - I hated getting the one I did, freaked me out! My pressure was borderline, but my optic nerve has been swollen this whole time, so they've kept treating me for the IIH.

Keep up on the weight-loss, it'll do amazing things for the IIH!

Hi and thanks again for all your support with this. I really am thrilled to have found someone who went through this (not that I would wish it on anyone). But you've helped me feel positive about recovery for the first time in almost six months.

I still have to try the tennis ball thing, but I will. I have been on Diamox since early December. I was not on a sufficient dose at first, and am now on 1500 mg. a day. That is the maximum dosage I can take, apparently, and I must say I really did notice a big difference quite quickly. I started to feel like I was breaking through, though about three weeks later, so I'm now on just 20 mg. of generic Lasix per day. What that has been doing is helping with the headaches. I still get headaches, but I get a few hours of relief each day, and am starting to see that each day I'm getting a little more time without a headache as I stay on the protocol.

The ONLY risk factor I had at all to cause this was the weight, so as I lose it can only help me. Why this didn't happen a year ago when I hit my top weight for the first time is a puzzle, but not something I can spend time thinking about. Now I spend my time trying to focus on being healthy. I follow my food rules, go to the gym (and if it isn't my best day I may only do cardio, but I try to pair one other group of exercise in with cardio each time I go, such as weight training that I did the other night, and tomorrow I will swim or do yoga, depending on how I feel).

I can't wait to get all my energy back. I spend weekends resting, and my house shows it, believe me, LOL.

Thanks again for the support. I can't tell you how helpful it has been to me.

Best,