Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hospitals and doctors in Mexico

HI,

First of all, you need to understand that I do not know much about computers. It took me over 1 hour to figure out how to post something. I hope I am in the right area. I am 62 years old and about 12 years ago I had a triple by pass done. They did it with all arteries (no veins) which makes the operation much longer but arteries are bigger and stronger.

Of course I see a cardiologist every 6 months and on my last visit he told me something that I did not want to hear.

He let me know that my time is up for trying to lose my weight. If I don't lose my weight now, I will end up back on the operating table or worse. I think you know what I mean.

My insurance company will not cover me. I am ready to go to Mexico to get the band because there is no way I could pay for it in the u.s.. I did a search and came up with mostly advertising and everyone of them say they are the best.

This is the first place that doesn't seem to be owned by a company or doctor. Because of my heart condition I should be in a hospital in case of a problem I need help to find a hospital and doctor please!!

See my posting about my experience 4 days ago in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. I am completely thrilled with the experience. The cost was $7000 and that included everything but my plane fare to San Diego (from FL). I was given all my xrays and lab results to give to my doctor back in the states. My husband went with me because I thought I might need him (I'm used to US hospitals). It turns out, I had more attention and hand holding in Mexicali than I've ever had here. I, too, have had previous extensive surgeries...for cancer and reconstruction. I think you would be very pleased if you chose Dr. Aceves. He does work out of a full-service hospital and you stay in the hospital for two nights following the surgery to be sure everything is okay.

weight.png

Edited by grammycoach

YUNIS--I don't know anything about Mexican doctors, but I've posted on a few different forum boards and if I can help you navigate your way around this board, please send me a pm (private message) by clicking on my name over to the left there and then choosing "send a private message to DonnainVA"

I can help you with getting around the board, not to grand at an computer help you may need though.

Yes, I'm a perfect stranger, but sometimes strangers can be nice also.

Because of your medical history, I would suggest a doctor that practices out of a hospital, and one that has ALL certifications... Look at the link on researching Mexican doctors. DO NOT listen to word of mouth on this board. Lots of people pose as patients but are really coordinators. Everyone who has lost weight thinks their surgeon is the best. You have a complex case. You need to find the doctors that have the tools to take care of you. DO NOT search based on price. All reputable docs are going to price at AT LEAST $7K and up to $9K. If you go cheaper, you're losing something by going with that price...

Also, Dr. Kirshenbaum is in Colorado and charges $9950. That's really good for being in the states...

Keep in mind the price for follow-up care too... And you have to find someone to perform that follow-up care. Having surgery in MX makes that a bit tougher...

I was answering the posts when I noticed there is no record of what I sent. I missed some one and I don't know who it is. I will post answers on the board next time unless you request private. I can't believe how little I know about posting. I will learn as I go along. Who ever that person is please contact me.

I second the great experience with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali!

Can you tell me how you checked him out before you went to Mexico??

thank you

yunis

I sent an email to the link and then was contacted by Nina. She sent me all kinds of information about

Dr. Aceves, the hospital, etc. Then she sent me names and email addresses of people I could contact to ask about their experience. I was very impressed...and I'm not easily impressed. I also attended a local session with a surgeon in my home town and found that I received so much more information from Dr. Aceves. I even have his personal cell phone number to contact with any of my post op questions. I also have a nurse assigned to me that checks with me regularly.

Can you tell me how you checked him out before you went to Mexico??

I originally found out about him from others on this website and then went to his website (he has an add at the right). I tried to search about him as much as I could on the internet. I was lucky enough to actually go down to Mexicali about a month before my surgery to meet with him and check out the hospital. I live in the Los Angeles area and it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. I can only imagine the anxiety of people who travel down there sight unseen but seriously, I could not have been happier with my experience. The day of surgery I was the only band but he also had 2 gastric sleeves done that day. I have some pictures I'll try and post later of the hospital and my room. The hospital is literally one block from the border! To go out of the country for surgery is a huge decision but as a self-pay it was my only choice, turns out, in my opinion, it was a great decision. My husband said it was like being on a cruise that has a surgical team, haha

Again. I think the hospital has all the credentials that you need to feel safe. As long as your cardiac surgeon knows what you're planning and gives you any information that is needed...you should have a positive experience.

ok

onehotmoma, this is what I got so far

dr aceves

dr Ariel Ortiz

dr kuri

I also got very good search tips from KGLOVERII. the money range ($7000 to $9000)--check everything out on the doctors and set up your after care where ever you live. I need two more things

1) more doctors with hospitals

2) more tips and sites to do my reserch

thanks again to everyone

yunis