Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need Coffee!!

I was told that I would not be able to drink coffee once I was banded. What is the story I read in so many posted that people are drinking coffee. Is it just at first that it is not allowed or is it just my Dr.?

i drink coffee everyday and my doc is ok with it...and he's pretty strict. did he say why? i personally cannot give up coffee

Just said it was harsh on the stomach, and generally bad for you. That is why I am wondering if it is just my Dr.

My doc says no to all caffeine. I read an article about the way caffeine can dialate blood vessels and risk stretching your pouch in the first 3 months or so.

I was told "NO CAFFEINE" and when I asked WHY? I was told "because it is an appetite stimulant to some people". I know that it does not have that effect on me (for some, it's actually an appetite suppresant, doesn't do THAT for me either, darn it! LOL) so I am having my coffee (1 cup) and my iced tea (tons) each day, just fine.

Caffeine DOES dilate the blood vessels (one reason they use it in headache remedies) but I don't really understand how that dilatory effect can risk stretching your pouch. In the early days of healing it might be better to avoid caffeine, but once you are a few months post op, well....

I am a firm believer in doing what your doc says, but also believe in "Question Authority". If I were you I'd probably follow his rules until I'd been banded a while, then maybe revisit them. Like I said, I avoided tea and coffee for the first few months. It didn't kill me and may have helped me heal better.

I have a cup of coffee on most days, starting about a week after surgery. My doctor is fine with it with no restrictions. I do drink less of it now though (one cup as opposed to two or three) because I have to have it with milk or cream which adds calories. Plus, I'm trying to drink more hydrating, calorie-free drinks like Water and Crystal Light.

I am 3 months postop and I drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the am. My doc is ok with it, as long as I religously take my protonix. I didnt drink any coffee until about 2 months post op. I Water it down now and use a sugar free Creamer, so probably not as bad as before. I'm a grumpy butt without coffee. (-:

I limited myself to 1 cup of caffinated coffee during my 2 week preop diet and for 6 weeks after surgery. Now I drink about the equivalent to 4 cups of caffinated coffee a day. Haven't had a problem so far.

for myself and more importantly, those around me ... a cup or 2 a day is much needed. dr. also didn't have an issue, as it was listed on post op liquids:)

My Dr. said no during preop, but post op ok to have 2 cups, but don't count it towards your Water. I have only wanted one cup a day and am doing fine.

I would ask again and get the exact reasoning.

My doctor supports caffeine consumption but said like anything else, moderation is the key and as long as you are using sugar substitutes for sweetness you should be fine.

The only way coffee could stretch your pouch is if you drank 10 cups at a time or drank tons of it on top of eating food.< /p>

Whether or not caffeine is bad for you is like everything else - there's good and bad in it. It actually has a protective effect against diabetes for example. Its jsut another case of moderation being the best way to go.

Somethign I dont practice myself. I love my coffee. But thankfully we have decent instant coffee here so I dont guzzle huge quantities of high caffeine brewed stuff.

My doctor is fine with coffee.

sometimes doctors - for all their worth, don't think before they tell their patients the same 'ol mantras. :confused:

My personal opinion is: it is easier for them to tell us not eat or drink certain things than actually having to deal with any variations in patient progress/care.

It is all about moderation:

1) don't drink a bunch of coffee, get all jazzed up and eat more junk, not drink Water or have your blood sugar spike and fall..

2) Don't go get an over sugared over fatted 6 shot venti starbucks drink, then wonder why you aren't loosing any wt.

3) Don't use coffee as a substitute for eating right - the appetite supression will not last long term.

4) If you have ulcers or stomache issue or HB- use you head. Coffee may not be the best idea.

Coffee will not erode your band. Unless the doctor put your band on the inside of your stomache, in which case you have bigger problems than the topic in which we are discussing.:sneaky: