Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am due to be banded on Monday the 19th. The nurses at the Doc's office report that most people don't want to eat for a couple days after the surgery and have to remember to drink some broth. I'm interested in what you all have experienced. After 11 days on the pre-op liquid diet I could certainly appreciate some relief from the gnawing in my stomach.

I WISH I weren't hungry but I came to in recovery hungry and thirsty (no nausea thank Goodness)!

I was so parched I drank 32 oz of Water before I left the hospital. However, the fear of messing up my band kept me on the "liquid" diet.

Don't expect the gnawing to go completely away for a while.

I had the band put in on the 8th - the first couple of days I think I was still under anesthesia as I never really woke up - concentrated on Water. By the third day I was able to take Water and broth (and now just looking at the can can make me nauseous). When I finally got to full liquids on the 5th day, it was better - I could have a Protein shake twice a day, but a couple of days later, I had to add a third (and dropped the sugar free pudding). I have healthy Tomato Soup in the middle of the day for variety. I am really looking forward to later this week when I can have pureed foods.

I really have to watch my timing though, because if I wait too long between, it hurts :<( I was hoping the hunger would go away also.

Hi,

I was banded on the 12th and am now 6 days out. I was extremely thirsty post op and was for 2 days. I have not yet been hungry and have had to force myself to have a Protein shake and broth. Seriously, it is so weird! I have been preparing meals for my family, baking cupcakes for my children's classes, and nope, not even one temptation. I have found it so weird to have to ask my husband to taste some food I am cooking to advise if I need to add anything!

I suspect the tide will turn and at some point I will be ravenous, but for now, I am in amazement. I don't believe that there is restriction on my band yet, and won't see the surgeon until 10 days post op.

I am feeling great and have shed 21 lbs since the beginning of preop on 12/29.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

I had my surgery on Wednesday 1/14 and I was very thirsty when I woke up, but I have yet to really feel hungry. I've only been "eating" broth, shakes, etc because I know I should to keep my energy up and my muscles. I was allowed to eat a banana this morning and it took me 45 minutes. I was chewing and chewing until it was practically liquid. I only ate it to get some calories in, not because I was hungry. I'm sure this will change once the swelling in my stomach goes away. Then again, my surgeon did say that the band was a bit snug on me (10cc), so maybe I'll get lucky and have restriction just from the band itself.

(1) Expect to be extremely thirsty post-op, except when you're passed out on pain meds. They gave me 3L of Fluid bc I was so dehydrated I couldn't urinate. They keep you intebated during surgery, so the breathing tube makes your throat sore for a couple days.

(2) As for the lack of appetite, you can't eat anything but clear liquid after surgery that day, and you are likely to sleep right through to the next day. (RMonkey is the only exception I've read about.)

(3) My personal experience was as your nurse(s) described. Mom, who had the surgery March 11 and has gone from 247 to 164 thus far, would make herself a shake and then pour 1/4 cup for me. It'd take me half an hour to sip it down. My regular appetite resumed after about a week. I seemed hungrier, but I would get full after a few big sips of cream o chicken Soup or grits.

You will be surprised at how unappealing food is after surgery. I was banded on 1/14 and can barely get the necessary meals down. Your body is used to the liquid diet. Just keep it up and follow doctors orders.

I was also banded on 1/14. I'm having trouble just eating what is required. My doc says 800 calorids and 80 to 100 grams of Protein. I'm not hungry! Did you have any gas pains? This is the only thing that hurts. I have a gas bubble in my upper chest which has now moved to my shoulder. It's getting better but is really painful.

How do you get your tickerfactory graph on your account? Thanks. Judyx3

The gnawing in your stomach will not go away until soft foods, which was 2nd week after post op (for me). After surgery, I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning and my stomach was growling so bad that I could not go back to sleep. It is weird drinking broth or eating sugar free Jello at 3 AM!

I was a little thirsty after surgery. My mom got ice chips from the nurses, which helped A LOT :)

I am due to be banded on Monday the 19th. The nurses at the Doc's office report that most people don't want to eat for a couple days after the surgery and have to remember to drink some broth. I'm interested in what you all have experienced. After 11 days on the pre-op liquid diet I could certainly appreciate some relief from the gnawing in my stomach.

You will be fine. It is almost shocking that your not hungry. You think you are but you are really not. The hardest part for me is knowing when I am really hungry or it is my appetite that is hungry. There really is a difference. Most of us that are heavier eat because it is satisfying. We have to retrain are thinking pattern to eat only till your not hungry, not stuffed but just satisfied. I use a dessert plate instead of a full size dinner plate.that way I am seeing a full plate.I am ready to go down to a cup saucer. I have hit a plateau an have to make more cutbacks. There are times when I eat alot an sometimes when a couple bites is enough. food did not stay my main priority. You will start getting so much energy that you don't think about food.I had problems getting everything in that I was suppose to. But that is ok you will eventually be able to. Do not get discouraged. I have lost 115 lbs. Banding 03/08. You will have so much fun shopping an other things you avoided because of your weight you will want to do . Always here to listen or encourage.

I had the surgery on Tuesday 1/20, and yesterday my stomach was growling so loud...and hurt, but I couldn't tell if it was just the gas or hunger. Last night I think it was hunger, and I could only have sips of liquids. Today I can finally have a Protein Drink which feels more filling, but I'm still growling and it's not just the gas. I thought I wouldn't be hungry for at least a week, but I already feel it - and I wasn't at all hungry on the 2 week pre-op diet (I had a lot of stew broth, along with the V8 and Protein Drinks and Jello. They told me I can't have jello now though - won't it get stuck?

I had absolutely no physical hunger for nearly 2 weeks. HOWEVER this period provides a great opportunity to really contemplate the 'head hunger' vs physical hunger issue... because I would find myself thinking 'hmm, what can I have?' and then would pause a second to realize I was not hungry but was wanting to do some of that 'relieve the boredom' eating that got me into this boat!!

Personally, I think some of the routine post-op is about learning that you won't die of hunger, teaching you disciplined eating, and having you post a big weight loss in the first few weeks for its psychological value, to keep you motivated and on track.

I had my surgery on Wednesday 1/14 and I was very thirsty when I woke up, but I have yet to really feel hungry. I've only been "eating" broth, shakes, etc because I know I should to keep my energy up and my muscles. I was allowed to eat a banana this morning and it took me 45 minutes. I was chewing and chewing until it was practically liquid. I only ate it to get some calories in, not because I was hungry. I'm sure this will change once the swelling in my stomach goes away. Then again, my surgeon did say that the band was a bit snug on me (10cc), so maybe I'll get lucky and have restriction just from the band itself.

HI Tina my name is Tina as well I was banded on 1/23 by Dr. Oldham.